Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    madbad is not wrong about what he says. He has been here longer than most people and he knows how easy it is for someone to purposely mis-understand what a person writes.

This is a forum; we are not face-to-face to understand exactly what you mean, or what you are trying to convey. It is very easy for people to mis-understand what you write, if you are not clear. Sometimes, people will take the chance to purposely misunderstand.

That is why you need to be clear, and to use every way to try to ensure that you are not mis-understood. Just my 2 cents to try and help here; :) now don't go misunderstanding me! :D

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Cool buddies !!! No probs :) I will follow blindly what our MADBAD has intructed to me:D Hereafter, my conversations will be seen with emoticons.. Are you satisfied MADBAD !!!!!:):crying::confused::eek::mad::rolleyes::cool::p;):D:eek::(

3. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Maybe its Gopi's tactic to not allow Saina and Sindu play in same half for as long as possible. Given the current world badminton scenario and politics, anything is possible.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

OK, I'm happy now. But could you double the emoticons. :D

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I have just one thing to say:
    [​IMG]

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Still, Was that not enough for you(you want double), might have got:D obsessed with emoticons. Lol :D..

Let's move on to saina, she might be happy now that she has got an younger sister, Sindhu in badminton arena to support her..:)

7. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    Of course she's skipping the China Open; to save face, because she knows the Chinese players will beat her on home ground if they're at their best.

The top Chinese girls are better players than Saina, period. It's not every time that she'll catch them suffering from the post-Olympics blues.

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    By the by, have you seen your chinese players were made to run to their country during Denmark Open and French open .. I pity them. Yihan could not withstand saina's fierce battle on that day, she booked tictets immediately to china.. May be she will be in her home's back yard practicing very hardly.. I am happy that these days, each and every person in the world trying hard to beat the chinese .. Li xuerui got repeatedly beaten by 3 girls.. And shixian, ha ha.. Every player will get time to beat her whenever they get chance.. And yihan, beaten by saina perfectly. Nobody in the semis in these two superseries tournaments. Great.. nice to see this.. :D:D

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    LOL! :D I'd like to consider the opposite: that if she were in top physical condition and went there and beat the **** out of them "on their home ground", they'd be so completely shattered, it would open the floodgates! :D

Saina's been steadily improving; her biggest improvement areas are in mobility, patience, tactical awareness and the ability to remain cool-headed. I personally feel these have made a greater difference than other improvements like a more effective backhand, better footwork (comes with better mobility! ;) ) and greater accuracy and effectiveness of smashes when she does employ them.

French Open finals? Credit to Mitani, but I won't pretend that the result wasn't in some part due to the fact that Saina was increasingly hampered by the right-knee trouble she had been experiencing. Of course, one can always scoff and say a) all players have that kind of trouble and play through it, or b) she's blowing it out of proportion to create an excuse. I suppose you're entitled to your opinion on Saina as a person and her "save face" thing... but I'd really like you to view this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OWJ3coZByPk

My conclusion: she's closed the gap between herself and most of the top China players. She's definitely got WSX's number; WX sadly, is not in the frame; she's figuring out WYH, and she will probably be on more even terms with LXR than in the past; and she can now take on JYJ easily where she faltered earlier.

10. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    If Saina, Wang Yihan and Li Xuerui are all in peak form (I'd consider their form at the Olympics to be ideal), the latter two Chinese players will most likely beat Saina. And it's got nothing to do with the fact that they're from China; they could be from Timbuktu for all I care - even a non-expert like me can see that their playing is simply superior to Saina's. They just look so much more graceful and elegant on court, and their shots seem more skilled and intelligent. My father, whom I consider far more knowledgeable than me, often remarks that Saina is "lumbering" and looks "clumsy" on court, and that's exactly how her playing appears to me, too.

The Chinese players from Wang Shixian downwards - those I have no doubt that Saina can beat. Whether it's because Saina has improved or because their playing has gone downhill, I don't know. WYH and LXR are a different story, though, and I wouldn't bet against them if either one was playing Saina on a good day. If she wasn't injured and recuperating, I'd include Wang Xin in that category, too.

You are of course entitled to believe otherwise, but I must say that the record is vastly on my side. Or better yet, let's just wait and see whether Saina will ever become World or All-England champion over a Chinese player and we'll see who's proven right. The Olympics have not long been concluded, and we already saw how utterly outclassed Saina was by the Chinese players in that event. I've no doubt that Saina's playing will improve, but the same goes for the other players as well.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    No, I don't think so. India does not have the luxury of depth in strength (like China does) and Sindhu needs all the exposure she can get at the international level, even if it means playing Saina. There are no real secrets at that level, only hard work and improvement.

A pro player needs to take preventative measures with injuries, or they can become career-threatening. I think, even Sindhu will be allowed to go to the China Open only if she is adequately recovered from the knee injury she picked up around the Japan Open.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I agree completely: Saina is a very different physical type when comapred to the naturally athletic and gifted Chinese girls (and those of some other countries as well IMO) but that only underscores her incredible work ethic. She is on record as admitting she is not the most naturally gifted for this game, but it is her love for the game and her desire to succeed that has brought her to where she is. Why would anyone want to begrudge her that?

Incidentally on your bracketed remark, Saina's post-OG form is IMO better than her OG performance; she is visibly more relaxed and free of stress.

Even I had repeatedly pointed out that she needs to shed weight and work on mobility, but you know what? it's easier said than done! And yet, she is getting there... Once you reach the shuttle in good time, you have so many more options, and your tactical sense also kicks in because you can use it! Her performance in the past 2 events proved just that - bad knee notwithstanding.

Here's what I wrote earlier:
    "...she's figuring out WYH, and she will probably be on more even terms with LXR than in the past; and she can now take on JYJ easily where she faltered earlier." I stand by it. :D WX (and yes, even WL) is tragic but you keep on denying that Saina is constantly improving...

I can only hope that Saina will prove you wrong! You can't fault her desire and application, now it's up to her coaches and support team to get her to close that last 3-5% gap between herself and those better than her. I for one, wish her the best. CBA has the best coaching and support system ever found in this game anywhere; Saina with all her comparable handicaps isn't doing too bad!!! :D:D:D

#1112 cobalt, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  13. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    The whole of 2011, Chinese players could beat Saina only because she just came out of injury and was out of form, what do you call that. Huh! Post Olympic blues my A**. As always, being a Chinese fan you just need an excuse. No Chinese player can match Saina's fitness. 2011 and last two weeks stand testament to that and in contrast WYH "excused" herself (BTW she did the right thing). Yes they do have better technique and Saina can match 90% in terms of technique and makes up in other areas.

Sure you are entitled to have your own opinion but your comment has more condescending and berating tone to it. It creates a very bad taste. If you are a true badminton fan, then make a fair assessment rather than running your mouth as you like.

I will ask you this, if Chinese players were that better than Saina then why did they get injured (WYH, WX) or are out of form (LXR, WSX). Dont tell me that nobody can predict injuries. Sure nobody can predict them. But the key is how to manage them and stay injury free. I have said this in one of my previous comments and I'll say it again, Saina was plagued with injuries in 2011 and was out of form yet she managed to stay in top 6. That speaks a lot. Lets see if WSX cant emulate that. I sincerely hope she does.

All the top 5 players (WYH, WX,WSX,LXR,SN) are great in their own respect. They are all young and still have at least 9 years of badminton left in them. We will witness all time best women's badminton from here on. I will say *NOT* SN is greater or WYH is greater (until now she was better than SN, but lets see). They still have to prove themselves to give them the greatness tag. A player's greatness can only be judged when either if they have won everything that there is to be won (Like LD) or else we have to wait till the end of their career. So lets have this discussion when one of those is achieved by the above mentioned players. LXR is kinda dubious here since she achieved almost everything in just one season riding a ridiculously good form. So she still has a long way to go compared to the other 4.

14. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

One thing is for sure, WS is no more China's fixed deposit. India & Thailand are cathing up fast and we need more consistent players from other countries i.e MY, Indonesia, European countries. Looking forward already for next year. Fan boys can say whatever they want to justify China's hickups recently but I can already feel the shift

15. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    Now this looks like a fair point, better than the previous one. Thanks for elaborating.

16. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Yeah Agree.... Other country especially Thai & India are catching up with China WS. The progress are no that bad, IMO. We should see the competition on WS be much more interesting.

17. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    According to you, saina's movement looks clumsy and lumbering?.. What do you mean by clumsy. That depends on the eye with which it is watched. You know , Always Squinted eye people will lack in vision than normal people. It may be due to that.

Then coming to your Father's point, i dont know who is he or where he is. Simply sitting in the couch and commenting is hobby to some people. We never care about such an irresponsible comment.. Saina is far better than yihan and li xuerui in terms of technique and will power . Li xuerui is beatable by anybody else who are in the top 10. With the current form of saina, she has already proved by beating wang yihan in this Denmark Open 2012. Have you seen that match with your eyes opened..!!! The score itself a proof to it..

18. SlaShEr

SlaShEr Regular Member

tinkerer
    It was previously mentioned "You are of course entitled to believe otherwise" but to post remarks such as squinted eye people lacking vision in the reply..Ouch~..

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    If you people dont like the way saina plays, pl i advice you not come and mention it in saina's thread. This is to talk about her and her qualities about play not the place to criticize.. Just leave the place and talk somewhere else. If you talk unnecessarily speaking about some unknown person's remarks as if he is legend in badminton is unacceptable. Do you mean that i have to simply see his comments and not to reply him back for his comments. Have you seen his previous comments about indians and saina?.. I think you have missed it. He said if and when indians talk about saina, he wanted to puke.. Is that good for you?..

We are not here to accept everything and whatever he speaks. hope you understood reading all the comments..

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

On the other hand if you can't accept criticism of Saina, you are in denial. She has had to take her share of it in order to improve; if she can, so should you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.