This year's All England is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2013' started by Hakular, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    ? I never said that ! Please explain your point :(

2. joetheshow

joetheshow Regular Member

Fulltime day dreamer
    Initially seeing the big names dropping out of early rounds, I thought it was gonna be a disappointing tournament as well. But it is actually a very exciting one, particularly notable performances from:

- Thailand's young talent Intanon Rathanok. I normally don't watch WS, but she made the matches very exciting to watch. Saina Nehwal had no answer to Intanon's attacking play and deceptions.

- Chinese pair Liu Xiao Long and Qiu Zi Han. Amazing front court dominance kept the Danish and the Indonesian teams under pressure.

It's always exciting to see these new faces building reputation and confidence, making the badminton scene more competitive and entertaining. So we're not just talking about the likes of LD LCW all the time :D

3. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    For me, this was the best AE EVER. From MS to WS to MD, there were so many scintillating matches to watch that one was spoilt for choice. I've come to realise that Lin Dan, the top Chinese WS et al. aren't really needed to conjure up good badminton. When is the next really big tournament? I can only hope that it is as exciting as this one.

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The tournament as a whole was exciting, but the finals were not so good. THe WD and MD were not interesting at all, and LCW and ZYL looked like unmotivated. I think ZYL is already planning her political career and LCW must still be on holiday or thinking about his baby

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Really i won't forget this All England.. REally marvellous one. First time , i have watched All England live .

Women's singles encounters were really wonderful.

Wang yihan(former world champion) lost to less known player lindaweni fanetri. Actually speaking , wang yihan does not have any answers to linda's marathon rallies. Marvellous to see this. That too in the first round. Very rare occasion.

Top in the list is first round elimination of Li Xuerui (reigning olympics champion). This time it was done by korean second ranked player BaeYJ. What a turnover !!! I am really amazed. Fantabulous performance by the korean player.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    have to agree with the MD. SF and some of the QF matches were much better.

as for WD, while there *are* exciting WD matches, they are rare. there are more learning value in watching WD than excitement value. at least for me.

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Very true! That's the reason I watch the WD! With MD I would need to play on a trampoline to reproduce what I see...

8. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Regular Member

Last night when I was watching WS on youtube live, i saw the number counting how many people are viewing the match reach 40k+ near the end of the match. While LCW vs CL, the count only manage to pass 10k+!

9. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

The WD was a total shambles. Compare the first game with the second and you could see that the match was already "Won" by Wang/Yu so that Zhao could keep her energy for the mixed. Didn't work though and Zhao goes away without a title. . .

China have been doing this for so long it's just infuriating. It may make China's tally look good but it's bad for the overall game. Until that mindset changes Badminton still has a major problem with what is effectively match fixing.

Also, just signing china supporters memorobilia and ignoring local fans requests is just not going to build a wider fan base.

Apart from that this All England was quite refreshing. Some new faces for the future to keep an eye on and countries developing their games.

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yup, that throwing of the second game would be true .... then again Cheng Shu was nowhere near the performance level of the the other 3 players. Almost got themselves tied in knots playing the Thais in the quarterfinals.

But I do like the new MD pair from China - very refreshing and able to exploit angles normally you only see on Korean and Indonesian pairs. Good defense too - but of course, still too early to see if they will be the next big thing for China MD.

11. indrg

indrg Regular Member

The Indonesian Premier Super Series man... it is huge and a Premier. It is going to be Taufik's last song. I wonder if he has been saving his last leading to this.

The big tournaments to see:
    1. Sudirman Cup : May, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    1. Indonesian's Premier Super Series : June, Jakarta, Indonesia.
    2. World's Championship : August, Guangzhou, China.

12. well-son

well-son Regular Member

For me, the only really BIG DISAPPOINTMENT at the All England this year is the poor line judgment, the worst in recent years, not to say other tournaments better, but compare to the previous editions.

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Badminton England ran a questionnaire of sorts during the tournament - and I was one of the, ahem, respondents.

Among things I told them was that while the tournament was professionally run, it was remarkably sterile .....

Also that Yonex had dominated the sponsorship for very long now - but has not seemed to plant better organizational ideas and create excitement. Even Li Ning is better at this, but of course at the moment, Djarum is King until their, errr, foreclosure .......

14. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

[MENTION=4302]abedeng[/MENTION]

hahahaha

If I'm not mistaken you went home too early during last IO 2012.... perhaps you missed the events arranged during closing ceremony outside the Senayan area

:)

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Disagree (in bold). The once fascinating KKK/TBH played like this when they first emerged in late 2006 and early 2007 (when they won their first and only AE) until the rest of the world managed to neutralized them and as they say : "the rest (or in this case, KKK/TBH) is history".

16. newbro

newbro Regular Member

I think it's the first time that I enjoy WS the most out of all the tournaments. I really enjoy seeing Tina's fighting spirit, congrats to her title that makes one hell of a retirement present.

17. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

If I'm not mistaken, Ratchanok is 18yrs old this year and she's in the AE finals.. Something which Taufik did and is still proud of.. So Taufik is no longer the youngest player to reach the finals of AE anymore... He is one of the youngest.
    Seems like all his proud achievements are being surpassed by others very quickly, hopefully people will still remembers him 50-60yrs later. I like him and he's the reason I play and watch badminton and I hope to watch more of him before he retires for good :(

18. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    That, is purely caused by airline scheduling ..... the last flight out of Jakarta into Kuala Lumpur is by 20:45. And thus I need to allocate 2 hours at least for the travel into Bandara.

19. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
    Sunday night from Senayan to SoekarnoHatta is okay la... There's not much traffic... Now there's a JORR highway, fast arriving to the Bandara... Hmmmh beside... you can ask for ojeg if there's traffic, and taxi... they will be fast dropping you off to the airport... lol

20. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    bcoz several fans keep arguing and suppressing others that all england is a major and / or all england more prestigious than the other 4 premier SS. we all know the reason, bcoz their idol has better record in ae then in OG / WC