This is why we cut broken strings right away.

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, Mar 13, 2013.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I received this from a client today.

Very sad as the racket was purchased recently. I don't know how long he left the string broken like that. but upon inspecting it it was pretty clear the unsupported portion of the frame cracked due to the forces from the intact strings.

always always cut the strings right after it breaks to prevent this from happening to you.

Attached Files:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    coincidentally, i made a video last week on how to cut strings. here it is to share:

[video=youtube;J2DDbxExxgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2DDbxExxgI&list=UUIxpSHXfLQijePzgOM03YkQ& index=3[/video]

3. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    Does it only do that if the frame is strung to higher tensions, say 28+lbs? Or could that still happen to a racket strung at 24lbs?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it can happen to any tension..

think about it, there are 43 or 44 string segments on an average badminton racket, that's around 86/88 contact points, each one of them can be 20-30lbs depending on your tension, that's 1720lbs to 2640lbs of force acting on that little frame. even 1720lbs is a lot when there is a an unevenly distribution of force. and if left too long, ultimately what will happen is a cracked racket like above.

not worth the risk, to be honest.

ps. also to show what a delicate job it is to string a racket, so next time please be nice to your stringer. :)

5. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

kwun, are you going to turn that into a zforce pen? if you are... can i buy the pen? hahaha! :p

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. well it is not my racket. though i agree a Z-Force pen will be waaaay high on the cool scale. :D

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    got some more info on it.

it was strung at 24lbs by the stringer in a local gym here. the string was left broken for 3 weeks.

that particular gym employ kids to look after the frontdesk who also string rackets on the side. they don't have a very good reputation when it comes to the stringing quality.

so i am not sure which one is the culprit, the bad stringjob, or the time it was left broken, or both.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

2 questions:

1. Would this have happened if it were a one piece string job?

2. Since it was recently purchased, would Yonex replace it under warranty, since there are no instructions that come with the racket warning that strings must be cut immediately if broken?

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    1. no difference.

2. it was bought in Asia so i doubt it. Yonex probably classify it as abuse. ;) do Yonex racket actually come with a contractual warranty information listing what is allowed and not allowed to do with their rackets? it seems that warranty claim condition is rather arbitrary.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

1. If the main broke as in this case, in a one piece job, wouldn't the tension be released thru the mains and work it's way thru the crosses, thus reducing side ways compression. Which is what broke this racket, because the sideway compression was unbalanced the moment the mains broke.

2. If I had purchase this racket from Yonex USA/Canada, I would argue with the retailer that I wouldn't have known to cut the strings immediately, because there were no caution stickers or instructions, written or verbal, given to the consumer that this would happen if you don't cut.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    1. there are LOTS of friction at the grommet. we did an measurement and each grommet can easily hide 10lbs of tension. the tension loss will not reach the cross string.

ps. the cross will lose tension but not because of tension creeping through the grommet, but because the lack of mains supporting causing displacement (deformation) of the frame, and the frame gets skinner and that results in the cross frame losing tension. however, all those force and energy stored in the cross string also squeeze the racket head upwards resulting in the crack.

2. i guess it is ok to try.

12. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

I never understood the reason why we needed to cut the strings immediately.... only a week ago one of my friend's string broke during a game, and he quickly asked me for a pair of scissors to remove them.

Now I do... and it's a very good lesson for me :eek:

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I had a string snap inside the racquet bag. Don't know how long it had been like that but possibly 3 weeks. Racquet looks OK at the moment

14. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Thanks kwun for this thread!
    I do this everytime but I didn't know that this is the reason why.
    I just thought the stringer is maybe a bit happier that he hasn't to cut and remove the string himself :)

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yonex would most likely bounce it because of the extra cross at the bottom. Any excuse.

Playing with 32 lb, I feel absolutely no guilt in holding up the game while I cut my ropes;).

#15 Mark A, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  16. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

The best thing is just cut the strings immediately after they break, thats what I usually do because rackets are precious to me :)
    I lent my BRAND NEW Voltric 80 to my brother and he broke the strings, he left it and let his cut them and broke the racket! I didn't even get to use it on court :(

17. phili

phili Regular Member

Yesterday a friend broke the strings on my racket that I lend him. As soon as I noticed that I stormed off court to cut the strings :D

18. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Whenever someone breaks my strings, I'm marching off court to cut them! :) Even in a tournament :)

19. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

are you throwing the strings in your thrash can kwun? or doing a mess on the floor? :p

20. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    I cut some strings in a racket after I snapped them on Monday during a match. Everyone looked at me like I was mad, even after I explained why you should do it. I even got the "Yeah but if you don't cut it you can just have the strings repaired rather than needing a whole new string job".

I was sad.