Need some help to correct one of my players!!! (drills)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by McNugget, Apr 4, 2013.

1. McNugget

McNugget New Member

Student
    Okay, so I have this problem...

I am a badminton coach and I have this player who doesn't hit the shuttle correctly. He knows the technique and all, but the thing is, when he hits the shuttle, he completely extends his arm to the right instead of extending it and hitting it above his head. He has a great snap though and is very smart when he plays, but that technique problem is holding him back...

I would like to know if anyone has any idea of a drill that I could do with him to correct the problem because I can't think of one... We have an important tournament in about a month and I hope I can take care of that problem by then.

Thank you!!

(Sorry for my lame English by the way)

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Have you tried throwing a shuttle overhead?

Your English is fine, btw.

3. KayakerSteve

KayakerSteve Regular Member

911 Dispatcher
    What I have done with players that aren't setting up properly is feed them birds, having them set up for a shot but not swing. This allows them to see where the bird would fall, have him adjust is positioning until the bird comes down and hits him on top of the head. After his positioning is better continue feeding him and have him hit the bird, the increase in swing efficiency should inspire him to set up better. If you notice he is allowing the bird to drift out again while the bird is in the air instruct him not to hit, (yell NE FRAPPAIT PAS) if the bird doesn't hit him in the head he will immediately see he has gone back to his bad habit.

4. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

How about have him practising dry swings next to a wall?

5. KayakerSteve

KayakerSteve Regular Member

911 Dispatcher
    That would work if he isn't using your racquet. I like the method I suggested as it teaches proper set up and swing, and will give him immediate feedback through a more powerful smash, with a better angle, more accurate and better consistency, clears will be more efficient and drops more deceptive.

How is his backhand? Does he flare the racquet out on the backhand, does he hit around his head?