NEW: Fixed Height Experiment for Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Jan 10, 2013.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    who says service judging is easy?

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ha Ha noticed that after the edit button timed out, was wondering when i would get pulled up

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Mixed doubles can be a back breaker sometimes. You got to be moving your chair and body sideways to see the shuttle.

4. Valentinas

Valentinas Regular Member

consultant
    Hi

So if there is no "below the waist" requirement any more - so does it mean I can sit on my ass and hit an round-the-head stroke with my rasket slightly pointing down?

Woooooooowwwwwww !!!

Valentinas

PS. I am totally not serious

5. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Ok, I am at a junior tournament with other officials and I discussed this topic with them. Not too much info out there, they will be testing this in select countries (not sure which ones yet). Apparently there is some sort of equipment (I'm not sure what it is either) that will be given to service judges to enforce this rule.

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    how about laser sights that can only been seen with nightvision goggles, but in our case, with a pair of special glasses, so that the laser sight is not seen by anyone else but the service judge and/or the umpire who's wearing the special glasses, that way the players won't be distracted by the laser.

#66 gundamzaku, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    kwun likes this.
  7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Firstly this sounds cool:D But everyone serves from a different position, think mixed doubles. So it would have to be a horizontal wall of laser at 1.2m covering at least the first 2/3 of the court on both sides. Sound really cheap and doable.....

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Why should the laser be only seen by the service judge and umpire? I think that horizontal wall of laser criss crossing should also be visible to spectators, like in those jewel heist movies where the protected area is covered with laser. ;)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    awesome idea.

we need to add a smoke machine, a scanning laser beam that projects a horizontal plane.

the service judge might not want to align his eye to the plane of service though. occupational hazard...

10. gundamzaku

working professional
    the nightvision goggles mentioned i read in a book called "No Easy Day" was worth $60,000USD each. the cheap nightvision goggles i've used for CQB with airsoft was only $3000USD. i would be scared to use the $60,000 goggles since it's worth a Mercedes!!!

11. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    If you want to fix the service point at 1.1m, you would need video replay like it is in Tennis, which has gotten it right. The service judge cannot be expected to be perfect but technology can help. Please install Hawkeye for all lines as well.

As for the debate on whether it advantages on being tall in badminton, because net is fixed at a certain height (who decided anyway) it rewards shorter players on flat drives and tall people on smashes. If you raise the height of the net then tall people would have advantage for sure.

12. Yousor

Yousor Regular Member

Make a line onto the shirts of the players. Every player needs to get measured for that line at the beginning, just like the nets height is measured. This would be easily visible for the service judge. But that might interfere with strange pose some players do or players inventing new awkward pose to get the line on the T-shirt just a little bit higher. Watching Badminton via youtube I would say about 80% of every service struck is against the rules.

13. gundamzaku

working professional
    im guessing that those who's been serving successfully at a particular height probably won't change, but might used the new height "regulation" as a tactic instead, like a higher flick serve?

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    just wondering, where will the service judge sit under the new rule?

15. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Many years ago, there was the used of a vision card where the service judge would view through the slit window for service faults. The top edge of the slit is approximately align to waiste level and if the shuttle is not seen, its deem to high and would be a fault service. Perhaps the same can be use for this application.

Our club have tried it several times and it works.

16. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I've got a really radical idea. Why dont we leave it up to players to serve at the correct height? If at the end of the match they are found to be serving illegally then they are thrown out of the tournament, fined or the coaches fined. It seems "win at any cost" is becoming more common so instead of badminton tournament organisers having to pay a lot of money for things like hawkeye, which if impemented will slow the game down, or use a fixed height, which will change habits of all players, why not put the onus back on the players?.

#76 diverdan, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    That's actually a nice idea! However, I suppose the innocents will also get slaughtered with the mischief-makers. Its fair to assume there would be times when a player goes marginally illegal without knowing it -a hitch, a nervous tic, anything- and he gets penalized beyond just a point being taken away.... ouch! :D I can see it happening more often in doubles. ;)

On another note, but related to this thread... if anything gets implemented that has serious punishment attached, I can see many of the players taking longer to prepare to serve... in some cases, this might get pretty painful - you could possibly even throw in a quick commercial break there! :p

18. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I think service judges are getting better. Maybe they just need more training. TBH service faults are few and far between plus there's no reason for a player to take longer. If anything the time it takes most players to serve isnt long. Nowadays players serve very quickly. If there are repeat offenders then they should be scrutinized more and spoken to by the
    Umpires.

Another idea is to have 3 strikes and then you receive a heavier penalty.

#78 diverdan, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Any news/updates? or is it just wait untill July?

20. Henzy

Henzy Regular Member

Quality Coordinator
    I agree, this rule would play too big a role favouring and limiting respective players. The current rule is good, exactly because it makes the serve indivudually specific. Whether you are tall or short gives you respective (dis)advantages. All of us have got to learn how to handle and use these.

Furthermore I think that to specify an exact height of service is going to take away the feel that comes with the personal serve height. This would be my main argument against this new rule.

:)