Adidas badminton shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by ieim_17, Jan 23, 2011.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

2. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Do you guys think the Adidas Opticourt Ligra would be good for badminton? They're not marketed specifically for badminton but they look nice to me!

Google images link here

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

They do indeed look nice. What you'll have to see for yourself is whether the sole is too stiff or too thick/high, but from the images they look like they should suit most baddy players well. Not too different from the BT feather, actually.

Tomorrow I'll finally be able to get my fitting ones from the post office. After sending in the first (too small pair) I got one two sizes bigger - which (surprisingly!) doesn't fit. Moving around in them only doing a few quick one-step movements around the apartment is a definite sign, methinks.....
    While the first dealer (handball-markt.de) is still haggling (apparently, the were actually able to misunderstand my mail which was very clear about what I wanted), I ordered this pair from a different one - they were actually cheaper, but the dealer was harder to find. DHL did the usual though and completely skipped the step where they leave a freaking card to notify me, luckily I stumbled across the tracking link and found out I could've gotten them on Friday already...

First impressions after tomorrows session! They better be worth all the trouble! :D

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

What about these? Model name is Adidas Feather Team (G60602). Perhaps they're an older version of the "Feather". Cheap too at ~60USD.

[​IMG]

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

#106 demolidor, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Marketed as Volleyball shoe afaik. And yeah, 'team' shoes are the mid-range as opposed to 'elite' (BT Feather = Feather Elite).

8. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Does that mean the Opticourt Ligra are an even lower end model? They're priced cheaper than the Team models.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Perhaps - although tbh I don't think there's much distinction between the different mid-class models. The opticourts look to be a tad higher, which might not be so great for badminton (unless you're used to the likes of SHB200, SC5/6, etc)

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for badminton, BT Feather is high end, BT Feather Team is mid end, and BT Boom is low end.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Had a first session in my BT feathers yesterday. Not bad. A bit unusual is the rather stiff toe area, but I can't say they were too much of a hindrance (usually, a new shoe will throw off my footwork quite a bit).
    Very comfy, at least in comparison to my flat 9000ACE. A bit lower around the heel area, so I'll need some time to adapt to that.
    All in all, my first impression is that this is a great shoe - it'll require a slightly different kind of movement than a rather flat shoe like the SH-9000ACE or even the SHB-F1M, but I think given time I can be just as quick in these. Jumping is certainly much more comfortable than in the 9000ACE, which help with quick reactions but feel like you're bare footed on jumps.
    Despite their very solid and kinda hard look, the upper shoe is actually quite comfy. The toe area is just a bit too flat as I was rubbing my toes against the top, which can get quite painful after a while, but I'm optimistic I can adapt here as well.

Seeing how the new shoes look very very similar, they should be just as good. Looking forward to more thorough testing of these and the demo day on Saturday :)

12. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

A couple retailers over here are selling the Stabils. It sounds like the Stabil 10 (like the design) is about 30g more than the BT Feather. Is this a significant difference? For badminton, what would matter more? Stability or weight? I'd imagine weight would be more important, but I'm not sure how much difference 30g or so would make in a game.

13. Sgt_Strider

As of now, which shoe do you prefer? SH-9000ACE or BT Feather? Prior to the BT Feather, would you say the 9000 was your favourite shoe?

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Prior to the Feather, the 9000 was definitely my favorite singles shoe. It's stable, flat, has a flexible sole...the only downside is that you sacrifice cushioning for that flatness. It's still better than the SHB86 was for me, but it's not the best shoe for jumping a lot imop. For jumping I prefer a thicker cushioning and just slightly stiffer sole. The F1M was pretty nice for doubles as it has a different type of cushioning and isn't as flat and flexible.

The comparison between the 9000ACE and BT Feather is not fair as I haven't adapted to the BT Feather. I changed back after 2 doubles yesterday, and instantly had that "Ahhh. This feels natural." reaction when putting on my 9000s...still, the Feather is definitely one of the better shoes I've had so far, despite not having adapted to it (instantly beats the SHB85, 86, 200, 101Ltd, and isn't that far from the 92 and F1M). I put them on again to run around a little and do some jumping exercises, after which I played 2 games of singles in them. By that point I was too exhausted to run properly anyway, but didn't feel the same clumsiness and wooden feel I experienced with the SHB86.
    The soles are a bit slippery though, I'll have to see whether that's a general thing or if they just need some breaking in.
    I think in the long run it'll depend on both the discipline and what shape I'm in - the 9000 is harder on your body, so if you have a slight niggling in your knee/ankle/hip...the Feather is gonna be more comfy. The only problem where the 9000 is actually better for is achilles problems as it's flatter and more stable and higher cut around the heel.

#114 j4ckie, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  15. ccyuri

ccyuri Regular Member

Have anyone tried the adidas essense 10 ? or can guild me to any reviews ?
    I'm also looking for Adizero BD Feather (the older versions).

Any adidas badminton fans that had tried both ?

16. Sgt_Strider

j4ckie,

How sure are you that the pair of feather that you have (Handball) is the same as the BT Feather from Adidas? Surely Adidas made some adjustments to the shoe for badminton?

Can you tell me which size you're wearing for the 9000 and the BT Feather? I want to order a pair of BT Feather online, but I don't want to make a mistake and order the wrong size and pay a restocking fee to do an exchange. I think if you can give me those important information, I could make a reasonably good guess as to what size for the BT Feather will adequately fit my feet.

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

If you browsed this thread from from to back you would have found the model j4ckie has was originally called the BT Feather and as I mentioned on page 5 was renamed to Feather Elite last year. This BT Feather was listed on the Adidas Badminton Japan's page as BD Feather (now replaced by BD Feather 2 aka Adizero Prime internationally) ...
    Also mentioned on page 6 by me this BT Feather/Feather Elite in the Olympic red colourway was listed as Badminton shoe on the Adidas website ...
    But indoor shoes are multipurpose anyway so for a Handball store to market it as Handball shoe in a big Handball market as Germany is only logical ;)

The bottom sole pattern of these new "official" BT Feather is exactly the same as the ones j4ckie has bought but the midsole and upper look different as mentioned here: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-Adidas-badminton-shoes?p=2040013#post2040013
    The weight has stayed roughly the same iirc ... So no it is not the same shoe but a continuation on the original

#117 demolidor, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

#118 demolidor, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Always go by the UK/manufacturer size. I use 45.5 EUR Victor (=29.5cm, 11,5UK) and 46 2/3 Adidas (=11,5UK). Although they are a bit roomy in some situations....I might have spoken too soon, actually. Yesterday's and Tuesday's singles matches were absolute nightmares, and in part due to the shoes. Had no trouble in doubles, though. Timing is still a little bit off (which is notice much more in singles as I'm not a particularly quick mover but have a very big range which I use well in doubles, having to move less as a result, but can't use so much in singles as I have to cover a whole lot more court.)

Cushioning still feels kinda 'cloudy' (or spongy). Hope I get used to it, as it really is a good shoe and I'd like to use it. Should also be easier on the joints than the 9000ACE.

Aditough is apparently not so tuff, after all :D First layer scraped off already (the shiny looking plastic seems to be all about looks rather than actual toughness).

20. Sgt_Strider

This is the first time I've seen a shoe size with 2/3 listed with a whole number. So your shoes actually say 46 2/3? When you say 11,5, you mean 11.5 right? I've never seen a comma used in a situation like that before.