Adidas Stabil Shoes-Suitable for Badminton?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Redant, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Redant

Redant Regular Member

Hi,

I've been reading the forums for the past few months and almost all questions I've had seem to have already been asked.

Just recently bought a pair of shoes - Adidas Stabil. Has anyone used this before for badminton?

i think it's more suited to squash - I bought on impulse and now am thinking of probably buying Mizuno or asics instead as they have far better cushioning.

Heres a pic:

[​IMG]

I've used a pair of asics for the past year (tennis shoes) and they have been great - haven't turned on them so have been quite lucky I guess.

So has anyone used or even seen this shoe before? as I cant find a thread on this anywehre on the forum.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    movement in squash has a lot of similarities to badminton, lot of fast changing of direction. badminton do have more jumping than squash though.

however, the most important question is whether the pair of shoes fits your feet. if it doesn't fit you, nothing else matters even if you buy a pair of US$100 shoes

i suggest you try it out in the court and tell us what you think about it.

3. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Interestingly the Adidas website describes this pair of shoes as "the world's favorite handball shoe"

http://thestore.adidas.com/cgi-bin/adilive/b2c/index.w?location=b2c/product.w%3Fstyle%3DA2238%26promo%3Ddfyah&clink=dmcs/_volleyball_.24.mid.3a..28.7_8_9_10_11_12_13_14_15_15066_50371_13402_236464_1004006_1790_1000737_43169_57962_1001508_113272_1000959_1000819_1003426.29./ctx=mid%3A1005144%2Cpid%3AA2238%2Cpdid%3A68%2Cpos%3A12%2Cspc%3A14489115%2Cdate%3A20040812%2Csrch%3Akw%2Cx%3A

4. bloup

bloup Regular Member

Hello,

The stabil on the picture is an indoor shoe for handball.
    The thing is Adidas has a few shoes which almost look the same but have slightly different purposes, there is a 'court stabil' (mostly found in blue)more suitable for badminton / squash (lighter, different sole grip pattern), and there's also a rather new one called 'vendetta' (black this time).
    After 5 months using a pair of 'court stabil' (10-12h /week), they're still in excellent condition and fit perfectly if you have wide feet :)

Ranging from 40 euros (court stab), to 60-75 (vendetta), it's a fair deal.

5. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Based on a 'rule of thumb' from a shopkeeper, normally badminton shoes should have a round circle of sorts at the sole nearby the big toe that helps the player to turn and switch directions.

That don't seem to be the case nowadays as I've seen many Yonex shoes for badminton without them.

6. jeremy

jeremy Regular Member

human resource
  7. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    I have one of the older version and is very good shoes, very light, stabil, best grip on slippery floor, the only draw back is lack of cushion but if you can put inner-sole except it is shallow on your ankle with thick inner-sole.

8. Redant

Redant Regular Member

Thank you all for the helpful info and I agree with kwun that the best fitting indoor shoe will always be the best to wear.

I have now actually returned the stabil as having worn it inside the house I found them to be very stiff and not very comfortable as the metal surrounding the shoelace holes seemed to dig into my feet. Even taking into consideration that they wil give in time as soon as I saw the Mizuno Statosphere i immediately changed my mind.

Heres a pic:

[​IMG]

:D

I just love these shoes can't wait to try them out on court. A lot of good things has been said in this forum about them and I trust the collected wisdom and opinion of this forums memebers.

The Stabil had almost no cushion effect in the heel and i suspect that in the long term i would have regretted keeping them. Although the stratosphere is a labelled a volleyball shoe it is ideal for me as i do move around a lot and jump smash heavily.

Thanks again guys for the input. :)

9. leehsim

leehsim Regular Member

I think you have make a good decision to switch to Mizuno Wave Straosphere. From my information, it has the features of "Mizuno Wave", "Mizuno Intercool"and and "VS1".

Can you let me know whether the art no. is 9KV-49054 and whether it is called Wave Stratosphere 4?

10. Redant

Redant Regular Member

I just realised that the original pic is Mizuno Stratosphere 4 but i actually have Sratosphere 3. this is last years design here it is:

[​IMG]

I actually preffered the design of Strat 3 to 4 plus it is VERY difficult to get hold of any in the UK. Retailers seem to only stock the running shoes. Managed to track it down online from a volleyball site which was given to me by Mizuno Uk. For future reference for anyone in the uk they are www.sportset.com

The art no. (Is this the model no#?) is 9KV-39162. This is a top shoe. It has a lot of space up front thus suitable for wide feet like mine :p

I'll see how it handles out on court.... :D

11. leehsim

leehsim Regular Member

Thank you very much
    At last, I can have the art. no. of Mizuno Stratosphere 3 as 9KV-39162
    I beleive it is model no. but it is printed on the shoes box as "Art. No."

12. smashingmark

smashingmark Regular Member

Anyone knows where can I buy the Adidas Stabil shoes in Malaysia?? The new ones looks pretty cool and they use it for squash so I guess it will withstand the amount of jerking a badminton player goes thru in a game.

13. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

I have the Stabil 7. It's really a mixed bag.

The good: sticky, sticky, sticky. Very sure-footed.
    The bad: heavy, heavy, heavy. The sole is also on the thick side.

If you play a very competitive game, these shoes may hinder your performance due to their weight. However, they are good shoes in general. Despite of their weight, one can move around easily and confidently on the court.

My observation is that the base of these shoes flaring out quite a bit. For the same size of shoes, they may have bigger contact area with the floor, hence, the good grip of the floor. On the other hand, the extra material definitively adds significant weight.

I bought them via the Net at half price. All considered, I am okay with them. Had I held them in my hands at at a store, I probably would not buy them for badminton.

14. lacsonjake17

lacsonjake17 New Member

These shoes have a very nice sole design. It could be a very comfortable to wear.

15. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Hi ppl
    For 2 seasons ended 2 years ago I played using Adidas Court Stabil shoes (adidas court stabil = adidas stabil ??).
    My veredict:
    Pros: very very high durability (they look like new after 2 year usage, playing 3-4 days a week), good cushion, good price (compared to yonex), confortable.
    Cons: A bit heavy and in certain floors (some wood, some synthetic) they can slip a little bit, this is sometimes avoidable if you all the time care to clean the sole.
    I think because of being a bit slippery they sould be avoided for badminton practice. After using these shoes I changed to Yonex 99mx and after 18 mths I stopped using them because they were in a too bad shape and also injured some of my toes nails.

Few time ago, and because I am an adidas fan (since I played tennis at teenager times) I wanted to try another adidas model. Since May/2010 I play using the essence II. So far I find them suitable for badminton (they were designed for vollleyball, at least I didn t find reasons not to use them), no slippery (since the sole is clean), confortable and good price. The cons are they are a bit heavy and the ventilation is low.