2013 Yonex CANADA Open GP : Qualification-FINAL (16th-21st July 2013)

Discussion in 'US / Canada Open 2013' started by CLELY, Jul 16, 2013.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yip, Looks like that to me too.

This really is a shame because that is no natural way for a man to act and I have never seen Bodin do anything similar before, driving me to believe some real serious things must have went down pre and during game.

The fact that I think neither player is of any threat to other players or fans leads me to the thought that if they can get together and publicly make up and jongjit does bodin a solid and agrees that he pushed bodin over the edge verbally and it was complete personal thing then only a small punishment should be given, no bans.

Somehow I doubt that this is going to happen and apart from a fine I can't see how they can justify banning Jongjit, but Bodin will be history, bwf can't have them meeting at another tournament and risk round 2/3 whatever it is.

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Bodin can go to Indonesia and play in Sirnas or Superliga :) He can earn decent money just by playing in Sirnas.

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

You forget Lee Chun Hei/Chau Hoi Wah, the back-to-back champions over the past 2 tourneys! Lee is definitely on to an excellent start of his senior tourney, after graduating from the junior circuit just less than 1 year ago!

4. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

I don't understand why some people just stood and watched Bodin chase Maneepong and only then decided to split them up when Bodin started throwing punches and kicks :S

5. visor

visor Regular Member

When negative emotions are running high and amok between two strapping pro athletes, no one wants to be caught in between. ;)

Unless you have a responsibility and authority to do so like their coaches and the ump/ref.

Even if you see 2 strangers fighting it out on the street, don't be a hero and try to break it up, as you never know the background and animosity between them, and may be accidentally targeted and become collateral damage in the heat of battle. Best you can do is call for police.

#205 visor, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Fair enough, but they should of put security guards there for safety in general (I couldn't spot any).

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I'm in agreement as well. When you have authentic you don't want to become the target yourself.

I remember when the NBa brawl happened years ago, the players went after a few spectators for trying to break up and at the same time provoking them in the middle of the brawl and those spectators got hit pretty hard by the players as they went into the stands after them.

#207 Matt, Jul 23, 2013
  8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

They are big boys, either player could have avoided this escalation, nobody else was in danger. why bother getting involved?

9. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Somebody could of been in danger that's the point, what it both players ran into the crowd? Imo security guards should of been placed there, you never know what could happen. Security guards are after all trained to deal with incidents like this.

#209 samir12, Jul 23, 2013
  10. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

When was the last time you saw security guards run in an get involved in player brawls in Soccer, Hockey, Baseball or Football???

Security guards are there to protect the fans and the general public and they do in cases where fans get involved.

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

The players were only ever after hurting each other, this was personal.

12. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

After watching the extended video I understand why the punches seems so loud in the first video they were open handed slaps.

For me the best part of the video was that Canadian Player. That, "There's alot of testosterone in badminton" quote of his is pure comic gold.

The only thing in badminton with a relatively high amount of testosterone is Yu Yang.

13. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Thats not the point, the point was that there wern't any security guards present to even protect the general public. (Judging from the photos posted in other threads, I couldn't see a single one)

#213 samir12, Jul 23, 2013
  14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

They probably would have been present if they started bashing crowd members. It happens remember eric cantona:D and that is with the security present at a football match. Every event warrants it's own number of security form 0-1000's based on history, risk, local law etc.
    I think though badminton fans can remain going to watch badminton without fear of being beaten by Bodin Issara:D

15. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

I remember this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl-2uVhNLJI

The stabbing above shows that players need protection from fans too and incidents rarely happen in tennis. I don't see this happening in badminton any time soon, but theres always a first...

#215 samir12, Jul 23, 2013
  16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

You can't cover every eventuality, there is more chance of a player/fan getting run over by a bus on the way to the stadium, if you get carried away you would be better just never leaving your bomb shelter:D.
    No offence but I don't think security in badminton is a problem.

17. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

For me, I would like a bit of security when I'm attending an event of any kind, I've never been to a badminton event so I wouldn't know.

18. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    #218 Matt, Jul 23, 2013
  19. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Badminton isn't a rich sport. That's an extra expense they have to deal with, in a tournament such as this level. Super series, I'd understand. World Championships in Hyperbad had military stationed around. There were no security guards at US Open either. When service judging MS Final, we had two spectators run onto the court at the end to lift up Tien Minh Nguyen. Technically something bad could have happened there, you just don't know.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, it's an isolated incident between two players bearing a personal grudge. There's no need to get hysterical over it. For those who still feel unsafe and uneasy about going to watch badminton matches live on-site, the best thing to do is to watch it on TV or Internet in the comfort of your own home. Even so, make sure that ,if you're not alone, whoever is watching with you is someone who cannot or will not threaten your security for supporting a different player/opponent.

For now, be rest assured, badminton is one of the least violent sports in the world and in history.:D:p