Indian Badminton League (IBL)

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by depleter, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yep. All the talks about something comes only when it is special. ;):p I have never ever know there is a league called CBSL until last year end. But Even before IBL starts, so many interested persons trying to pull it up or down using their own ways. Let them take their own course.

Truth is that no other leagues transparently announced player's salary by auctioning them publicly :). I wish them to release it and make it known to everybody else :). But i doubt it. When an upcoming badminton nation like India tries to come up with some spectacular process to bring the badminton to new core then it is a great boon to not only one but many. :)

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    5 reasons why IBL scores over IPL in India

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/08/02/5-reasons-why-ibl-scores-over-ipl-in-india/

EXCERPTS:

Here are the top 5 reasons why Indian Badminton League (IBL) would fare better than Indian Premier League (IPL):

5. More individual representation

While cricket is a team game, badminton has been about individual performances.

The format of IBL has been framed in such a manner that there is a perfect blend of foreign and Indian shuttlers. IPL always insisted on playing at least one local or uncapped player; IBL insists that at least one teenager has to be a part of the team.

In IPL if the uncapped player doesn’t play well, his performance can be covered up by other senior and experienced players. But in case of IBL, where matches would be played in best of five format, a player’s loss is the team’s loss. It also adds more pressure on other players to win their remaining three of the four matches.

If playing in IPL gives more exposure of playing with seniors to the youngsters, IBL will teach the young players the hard way by putting a larger emphasis on their performance.

4. More exposure

IPL was targeting a sport that had already been well established in the country. But IBL focuses more on improving and popularizing badminton in India.

Badminton for Indians so far has hardly been anything more than Saina Nehwal. Hence IBL would result in getting more youngsters interested in the game. Whereas IPL, which gradually began with a motive of providing youngsters with a platform to showcase talent, turned into a fully fledged entertainment program. Though it brought out some young talent onto the big stage, they have been forgotten quite soon.

But IBL on the other hand, promises more development, exposure to the reality and a great experience with many international players also featuring in this league.

3. Less focus on money

IPL had a huge amount of cash poured in, which became its main cause of diversion from the motive it began with. With cricket being such a well established game in the country, it made it more obvious that huge money would be invested in it from the start. Along with money, entered media and celebrities, which became a perfect mix for entertainment and a profit making business for huge investors.

Agreed that IBL would also concentrate on earning money through one way or another, but it wouldn’t compensate on the game in doing the same, at least in its formative years. But less money invested in this league would be a boon as it would help in avoiding it being a business and concentrate on the game more.

Live streaming of IBL would be done by a sports channel and not any entertainment channel, unlike IPL. Which again keeps more of the jazzy stuff away and connects more to the people interested in sports.

2. Better use of technology

IPL has used all its advancement to provide better angles and views of the match but didn’t do anything to make the sport error free. We also know that BCCI has been against the Decision review system (DRS) but with the amount of technological advancement we have made and money in our hand, we can easily come up with a better system for the same.

On the contrary, IBL would lead to building of new courts in the country along with latest available devices, which would prove helpful for both players and the umpires.

For a game as quick as badminton, if our country can contribute by some more error free devices to instantly check whether the shuttle fell in or outside the court, it would be a great step for the sport, helping decision making all over the world.

1. ‘Indian version of the likes of Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei, Taufik Hidayat and Peter Gade’

These are only few names who have made some great contributions to the game. A league such as IBL would only make them more known in our country.

It would also encourage the youngsters to bring in laurels for the country like they have in past years. Though each player should have his/her own style of playing but the mentality of people is such that we tend to compare talented youngsters with seniors or legends of the game.

Be it cricket, badminton or any other sport for that matter, we always search for next Sachin Tendulkar but not a new player who has the capability to break his records. So let’s hope for the best and let this be the birth of a new era for badminton, and a stepping stone for many other sports in India.

Really worth to read it.
    :)

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Me too, I feel happy for him, he fully deserves it. I will go so far as to call NTM the King of Grand Prix based on the number of GPG/GP tournaments he has won to date.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Some of those points in the sportskeeda article are quite far off the mark.

If you look at all the support scorpion1 has been giving to other Indian badminton players, that sportskeeda opinion is off the mark.

dang, we've been moaning on BC that badminton doesn't get glitzy exposure to be more interesting to the non-badminton playing group.

a point without substance.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

More money filtering down the system rewarding players is good. I hope the IBL can be successful, not only now, but in the future as well.

My issue is that the reporting can be wide off the mark with inaccurate information. That's not good for the layman who gets relatively more information via the press.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Atleast india is looking forward to some other sports other than Cricket now which is what many sports lovers expect .

I can't get what you are trying to say from your comments. What 'substance' you are looking for?? Lol. What information you find quite it "off" the mark in Sportskeeda article??

#426 scorpion1, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    What inaccurate information you got??

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    2 GPG and 1 GP titles so far (totally 3) .. King???

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Correction, 3 GPGs at Thai Open 2009, Chinese Taipei 2009 and US Open 2013, and 4 GPs at Vietnam Open '08,'09,'11,and '12 (did I miss any?) - a total of 7.

Perhaps Lee Hyun-il deserves this distinction more except that he didn't play in GPs, only GPGs for which he has 7 titles stretching as far back as US Open 2001; in that case,I stand corrected.

But I'm more impressed by NTM's Grand Prix performances in recent years which, to me, carries more weight, subjectively speaking.

10. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Uhmm..I don't now what you tried to say there....But the fact didn't change actually...
    IPL still is the richest badminton tournament...
    The money players get in Axiata cup completely depends on prize money...
    Prize money distribution : the champions earning US$400,000, prize money for the remaining teams will be distributed with the runners-up earning US$200,000; third placed team US$150,000); fourth US$100,000; fifth US$60,000; sixth US$40,000; seventh US$30,000 and eighth US$20,000.

And Not only this but Korean Open Premier too had $1 million Dollar as prize money....

But the total amount IBL Pays is already more with just the auctio
    n.

11. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Lol! I don't know what that article is talking about...Just because a sports channel is airing and not an entertainment channel, it does not change that all the entertainment like bollywood stuff and other would go of as the organizers have been saying...It doesn't change anything...

And the second point would only happen if this season would actually achieve atleast average success

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I thought it was quite clear that we are talking about "Prize Money" only.

How the prize money is distributed and all other financial arrangements with players and commercial sponsors etc, is a different matter.

Indeed it was generous Korea which started the $1 million prize sometime ago but it was not for a league. But that initiative has set the benchmark for more to follow, albeit in other forms like the Axiata Cup and now the IBL.

13. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    No doubt, they have been hyped up things

14. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    If you just see the prize money, it was still a tie....

But the league being the richest tournament doesn't end with the prize money though..It's the total money the players get actually..And that's what I am saying here..

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Boe’s base price halved, back in IBL contention[/h]
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/08/02/boes-base-price-halved-back-in-ibl-contention/

EXCERPTS:

Change of rules and reduction of base prices seem to have become a norm for the Indian Badminton League (IBL) as the base price of London Olympics silver medallist Mathias Boe was reduced to incorporate him as a replacement player in the Aug 14-31 tourney.

The 33-year-old Dane, who had vowed never to play in India after he went unsold in the players’ auction, is now eligible to replace Awadh Warriors Maneepong Jongjit. The Thai was suspended for three months by the Badminton Association of Thailand for an on-court brawl with compatriot Bodin Issara in Canada.

The IBL organisers have informed the teams that Boe has asked them to halve his base price to $25,000 and is now up for grabs.

“We got a letter from the organisers that Mathias Boe’s base price has been reduced from $50,000 to $25,000,” a team source told IANS today.

“The mail mentioned that a new rule has been introduced by which unsold players can reduce their base price to be eligible as a replacement player. It will be subject to the clearance of the IBL governing council,” the source added.

A top official in the Badminton Association of India (BAI) told IANS that Boe is available as a replacement player.

Boe wanted to play in the IBL and after negotiations with the organisers he agreed to reduce his base price,” the BAI source told IANS.

Ashish Chadha, chief executive of Sporty Solutionz, IBL’s commercial partner, said Boe wanted to play in the tournament and had requested that his base price be reduced.

“Mathias Boe had contacted us. He wished to be part of the IBL and offered to reduce his base price. Now it is up to the teams to pick him,” Chadha told IANS.

The IBL organisers had asked the Warriors to seek a foreign replacement for Jongjit in their remaining budget.

Boe had earlier cried foul and said he will never come to India after he went unsold at the auction.

“Didn’t get sold in IBL. I’m really pissed, as I have supported the event all the way through and almost left the national team to participate. After Thomas Cup next year, I will never set my feet in India again or support any events from their side,” Boe had tweeted after the auction.

This proves how unprofessional he is. He has tweeted against IBL and even said that he never step his feet in india again..Lol. Now how come he rung IBL authorities and begged for his inclusion.. Seems very interesting. This is a classic example of how desperately he wanted to play in this.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Again it is wrong to say the IBL is "the richest tournament" when there are other precedents as mentioned.

There is no basis for comparison with the other tournaments as the arrangements could be different and there is no published information on them.

For now we have to settle for the prize money unless another organizer can come out with something bigger than a million bucks.

#436 Loh, Aug 2, 2013
  17. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    I can't understand what other arrangements you are talking about...???

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Imo they did not uphold any hype, they just took a really strong and exciting concept and so far have been creating out of nowhere problems that they invented for themselves. It's only frustrating as everyone wants it to be a success. If it is a success it will be for the most part in spite of Sporty solutionz.

It would be nice if they now could just get the details nailed down for how to make the league work best.
    Or is the point for this just to be a circus with small interludes of badminton watching LCW whip H.S Prannoy 21-5 21-5. LCW probably to much of a gentleman though and would make a game of it effectively just turning it into exhibition badminton. Might be fun for a bit but can't see this concept working long term if it is going to be circus + exhibition badminton with regards to longevity. It doesn't fit well with their player development concept neither.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Please see below:

Yeah, so, that's a big "if", not a "would". The author hasn't given any compelling reason that IBL contributes to error free device development...unless he means the technological progress are the new courts. My bad if so.

#439 Cheung, Aug 2, 2013
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Like Saina is a silver medallist at the Olympics. Schenk playing at the world championships 2013. Those are just off the top of my head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.