The Talking Point: Air Conditioning!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by gelee, Aug 11, 2013.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If you have played with old people before (not saying I'm really young or anything), you should know that they have exceptional defense and have good counter-attack. And they'll like it since they don't have to move too much. You still beat them eventually, but boy it saps your energy. Better to move them from corner to corner.

I guess LD and LCW consider their opposite as old men now? Maybe not :)
    But it's true that they both have exceptional defense.

2. aosis

aosis Regular Member

it's a shame to see how low can LYB stoop to save his face. Shame on you!

3. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

In all seriousness, do you think the organizers or China for that matter would admit any wrongdoing?
    Even if they do, do you think BWF would publicize it and tarnish their image or shame and punish China? It's political suicide either way!
    China can easily boycott BWF tournaments and BWF can't afford to lose China.
    We'll never know what really happened either way so no point wasting time on conspiracy theories...

4. ahchu5

ahchu5 Regular Member

engineer
    I agreed..to chn bwf dare not..to others country yes...etc thailand man double fighting case. Both of them banned for 2 yrs. If not mistaken....but do u still remember few years back lin dan beat li mao...bwf got ban lin dan???

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  6. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Turning off AC in the midst of a game, without any reason to justify doing so, is not right no matter which way you look at this, as it affects the momentum, playing condition and strategy of both players, unless of course it can be proven that LD played a part in this.
    But then, to say turning AC resulted in LD winning, that would be too easy and smelt of poor loser.
    Considering that LD entered WC13 as a wildcard, not played for so long, and still went on to beat the best 2 players in this game is applaudable. Maybe there is something in the script, first KT withdrew and winner finds ways to win. As in OLY12 and WC11 so close yet so far, and now WC13 when LCW is seemingly at the top of his game both in fitness, preparation, etc and still LCW finds ways to lose. Maybe it is not meant to be after all. Now, to the next major AG14.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The ugly cloak of anonymity rears its head again, as always.

8. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    You have to draw the line somewhere and China should be banned from holding the WC again for a long time.

9. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Agreed. China had clean sweep 5 titles back when England was hosting the 2011 WC and 2012 OG. The English officials had done so much better for them than their own countryman! Ban China for holding WC AGAIN!

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    hahaha, this is funny

cooked LCW and LD with a huge hump......that's an awesome picture right there!!!

even without reading this thread but hearing that a/c was turned off during the match i only thought of one thing, it's unfair...to both players. while the players are trying their best to adjust to each other's shots, and yes no matter how often they play, there is still adjustments, they would also need to readjust to the environment, which should have been CONSISTENT! i'm not saying that's the reason LCW got a cramp or LD came out on top, but it's in the players' best interest to keep the tournament environment as consistent as possible.

well said, and i forgot to mentioned that it is one of the necessary skills a badminton player should have, and that is to adapt to the environment...this might sound contradicting, but i'm not blaming the a/c as the cause of the outcome of this match.

nice!!!

i am the opposite of you i guess, i've had asthma since i can walk and when my body is warm and i breath a/c or cool air into my lungs, they tighten up really quickly and if it's severe enough then i can't breath. luckily badminton in the US is almost as popular as dodgeball so i've never played in any fancy facilities as an air conditioned badminton gym. :) but because of habits, i've grown to enjoy badminton in a sticky hot gym :)

11. mo han

mo han Regular Member

Reports online has LCW's coach slamming organisers about the switch off. Confirmation of players complaining of the venue being too drafty. LEE CHONG WEI was one of them complainers...:D how ironic! LOL!!!!
    The Malaysian coach goes on to say his star player was becoming dehydrated as the game progressed. I'm sorry, but your kinda portraying LCW as an ''invalid'', who is uncapable of calmly striding to the sideline for a quick sip of water.....LOL!

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I remember GC commenting LCW was making a stament by not going for a drink all the time when LD was already taking a sip at every occasion, in the first set iirc (to bluff/show his superior fitness to Lin Dan probably) :D

#152 demolidor, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  13. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    [
    someone on this forum had intelligently and logically analyzed Lin Dan's playing styles as pre and post 2008 Olympic Games. unfortunately i forgot where i read it but it was a really good read!! :(

14. jamex316

jamex316 Regular Member

Didn't hear that comment but it was obvious that LCW was trying to show himself. Its a shame when pride gets in the way of common sense.

I'm surprised that his coach was complaining afterwards about dehydration due to the heat when he was sitting on his ass and doing nothing. WTF??? Or is hydration not part of 101 in badminton coaching sessions?

15. volcom

volcom Regular Member

TSB and RS all talk while sitting back relaxing not having to do anything.

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    dont be crazy
    rashid and tsb just earning blind salary
    lcw training session is setup and design by himself
    the coach had nothing to teach them.
    just to sit there
    this is bam style,hehe

17. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

Ya, I remember reading a report somewhere sometime long before OG that TSB said that LCW is a very independent player, he pretty much does everything himself during training. So I wonder why they need TSB there all the time. Doesnt even know to to tell his player to hydrate himself when he said LCW complain to him that its hot in the stadium and even he himself realizes it.
    But I do agree that a top player like LCW should be able to adapt himself quicker than most of others about the condition of the stadium and as a professional sport person, he should know how to hydrate himself when necessary. This again, proves that LD is more superior than LCW not only in terms of skills or whatever related to badminton, but common sense also.
    So please stop with all this AC problems as it will only belittle LCW even more :mad:

18. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    I just find it weird for a player born and breed in South-East Asia, especially in super hot & humid Malaysia to complain about playing in above 30 degree Celsius condition. If I have absolutely no idea of the geographical location of Malaysia is on the Earth, I'll start to believe if Malaysia is a temperate country with yearly average temperature of around 15 degree Celsius, so playing in above 30 degree Celsius condition is a big ask of the players from Malaysia. But it is not, Malaysia is located near the equator, Malaysia's climate is categorised as equatorial, being hot and humid throughout the year. So the excuse of blaming the airconditioner being turn off is totally out of LCW's arrays of excuses why he lost.

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Badminton is there for players. All others comes rest. If players are complaining something, it is the duty of the organisers to make sure that condition is suitable for the players to play. If the condition is very hot and players are complaining, then you blame on players?? This is totally stupid thing to think about. This the organisers' duty to provide suitable environment to play. If they have failed it, you blame on players??? Lol. :mad:

20. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    No point to argue who won or who lost as it cannot be reverse anymore...LD won and LCW beaten..
    i think the main point everyone want to know whether is indeed the a/c was off or not, when
    the a/c was off and why the a/c was off.....if there are clear answers for the 3, i think we should
    close the a/c topic and move on.....