2013 Indian Badminton League (August 14 - 31)

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Feb 19, 2013.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I don't agree with her point. She said he deserves no more money. Based on what?? Then take that bases and apply it to the other players and you will see your error. This league started off with Marketing as it's main priority not skill or competitiveness.

Taufik speaking out about his own price is another matter, I don't think he has the right to say much since he had a choice of options from the start he can't turn round at this point and say anything. He does brings a lot to the table for marketability of the league for $15k, I can tell you that.

2. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
    1. Yes, it is up to the franchisees/team on how much they want to spend on a players. That is why we saw how the unfair treatment on how much they get bought on the auction.

2. I dont have a problem for Indian players to win more. It means they have to practice hard. It does not mean junior Indian players who are not even exposed on professional tour is bought higher than foreign players who are in good fitness, trained hard, get high world ranking, and winning some of worlds' prestigious tournaments

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

To put it simply they are like lambs to the slaughter when dealing with these kind of situations. Sporty solutionz and the franchisees are all savvy businessmen. Most Sportspeople especially badminton players with no agents, are in a business sense dumb, of course that's not their job they play badminton:)

Take the Taufik case for instance. What he should have done is when he spoke to IBL prior to the event/auctions/Pr, he should have said I want a minimum of "X" amount of money and untill that is agreed upon/contracted you will not use my face or name to promote the league. I think he could have got a lot more money or sued them for using his name/face(if they did) for not keeping the contract. Sounds harsh but that's business. Both parties would have got fair value and everybody happy. (All the players should have had more savvy to get better deal but they are either happy and never bothered or too naive)

So what happened was Taufik didn't get his business in order and he got ripped off(he no happy about money). The took him for a ride using his person without him getting fair value. tough Luck you shouldn't trust these business guy, they are not like a charity bwf style organization.

For Saina to step in with her reasoning, she sounded like a...... well lets say to be nice she sounded like a sportperson:D

4. abans

abans Regular Member

IT
    This is why players need agents. In high paying professional sports like football (not soccer) and basketball in america, players appoint professional agents who try to get them the best price.
    In IPL, same culture has emerged quickly. I think agents were employed in the second IPL onwards or something. These agents market players to investors, get more media interactions, make them newsworthy etc.
    IBL is not an BWF tournament. no one accrues ratings points for playing here. they are here for the money, and probably to have fun playing badminton (which they may not always have with the pressure to fight for points - conjecture on my part..)
    If they are unhappy about the money, don't come. If you want more money, do something for it in IBL or marketing yourself. Welcome to the world of sports modelling. Do the best players (ranking wise) get the best modelling/advertising contracts? No... Tennis is a classic example. In my younger days, Gabriella Sabatini was a more popular player than Martina Navratilova. She got more ads than Martina. Why people didnt cry foul then?
    Michael Jordan to this day more popular than many current and highly rated players. But he pulls in more interest.
    We need to stop tieing ratings to marketability. This is an auction. If you have ever been to an auction, you know that stupid stuff gets sold at record prices to defy logic many times. It is inherent in the nature of auction.

as for JG, she is making statements, but not playing. Even her team management knows she is good only for courtside, but not inside the court.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Missed that second tie tonight and I see Adwadhe beat Dehli smashers!

So the dehli smashers have now played almost everyone and only won one tie and that was against top of the league team Hyderabad :confused::D

Should be some interesting Ties now we are getting to the crunch of the qualifying table.

Delhi smashers seemed doomed from the start as their premium star player is Jwala Gutta:D

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Well. There is an argument going on here regarding the comments given by the players. I wanna say one thing here. Its simple. If foreign players are not interested in the league, they could have told the media when they signed the contract. What's the point of telling it now?? Taufik and Saina, both of them had made their statements in the public. Well, though i am a big fan of Taufik, i must say that he is really childish in making such statement now in the middle of a tournament . And for saina, she made it very clear by pointing out the current situation(form) of Hidayat in international arena. Each and every player in the tournament (foreign players) are very happy for their inclusion in IBL. Not needed to mention about Boe's controversial statement and later his request to IBL organisers for his inclusion. This is one of the classic example i wanted to inform here. With which face he stepped inside INDIA again?? :confused:.

I go with [MENTION=99920]abans[/MENTION] here. This is not BWF tournament. All of them came here to earn money which they will never get in super series tournaments when most of the top guns present there. No points to improve your BWF tournaments. Just for fun. If you don't like the money with which you are auctioned, then it's not necessary to come here next year.

#626 scorpion1, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Hyderabad Hotshots secures top position of team standing at the moment after they beat Mumbai Masters yesterday...

8. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Any idea where to book tickets for the finals in Mumbai?

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  10. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    ^^^ I already checked but I want them specifically for the finals. Not listed on the website.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Been reading this past page on the money that the players receive and they seem very sound to me. Of course, this is all about business sense and knowledge of the pricing. e,g, Boe lowers his price because he'd take some cash as opposed to none. And there is no point complaining at one's own low price if that is what was agreed on before.

I think next year we'll see some interesting changes: auction prices moving, new players in, others out and some players refusing to come because their base price is too low. Players will have realised that having agents for negotiations may not be a bad idea (expert haggling against expert negotiators!). So I hope IBL will come back next year and the next year again.

With increased demand of players and more options to earn professionally, will we see more players choosing badminton as a professional career?

12. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
    I don't know how the auction process is going on at this IBL, but I don't think players could negotiate at the auction. Players had less powers in the bargaining process. And I think players only assigned on the based prices and given to franchisees, and they bid on the players. So, I'm not sure if Taufik could share his views to media when he is bid at the auctioned. He think he should share is his views why he would not join IBL again because he is quite popular in India I think, that's why he told the media like what he did in the last few days.

As for Saina, she made statement that players has been bought fairly from the auction. The question is in what form the word 'fairly' represents? Does it represent on popularity, good look, achievement, nationality, or how well players can contribute for the team(winning points for the team)? I personally disagree with the word fair as I have described it in the previous comments. In terms, popularity and achievement, Taufik is popular and has achieved many things, but get low bid. Boe, Kido, and Ivanov are less popular, but high chance can contribute to the team and has won quite many titles especially Boe and Kido, but also get low bid. On the other hand, junior male Indian players get bid almost twice as much as Taufik, Boe, Kido, and Ivanov which made me think there is 'unfair' treatment here. I just saw unfairness at this bidding process, and please help to enlighten me if you think otherwise, so I might can have same views as u guys.

As for [MENTION=99920]abans[/MENTION] comments, I agree that this first edition of IBL is kind of a learning process of better future at Badminton auctions. There should be kind of negotiation that players side should to attract the franchisees, but since this is the first time we had this kind of auction, I guess players only expecting the better form u are, the better pay you will get... Thus there are comments from Boe, Taufik, and Ashwini. I agree to the form sport business you are explaining, I think its a good process, and Badminton should follow like how other sports league doing.

This lead to [MENTION=7]Cheung[/MENTION] comments I think next IBL it would be interesting, as some players who are heartbroken will out, and new players in. I hope players learn on how to advertise themselves though so they know what to expect and how to get high bid.

Lastly, I look like criticized alot, but actually I enjoy following this event so don't take me wrong, where else we could see LCW partner with Tina Baun at XD lol :D. I only feel that some players should have been bid higher, and some of them should have been bid lower thus I criticized this as a badminton fans.

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Nothing wrong in expressing your views. I respect your views. Some of the foreign players got sold (in terms of Auction) for higher amount and some for low.

Have you seen any auction live??? I have seen once. But the total environment is different though :p. This is completely for a sport and auctioning players should be considered in different point of view to some of the man made things. Auction do not have any influence from the players . It will be decided by organisers and the rules were set . Indirectly, these rules were set based on how well these players would be marketed in India. It's obvious from franchisee point of view that they need to get returns what they put in it ... If not, why do they?? And also they will consider to get maximum profit from lesser input. In that way, i will tell their choice of picking Vladimir Ivanov is excellent. Next time, his base price will be more than many. I am sure about it.

And also, as this league is purely for the improvement of indian players, you can't compare indian player's auctioned price to foreign player's price. Because Franchises can't do anything here. They want to pick some of the regional players to pull the crowd over there. Since IBL is conducted in six different cities, we can understand why franchises wanted these local players who are doing exceptionally well in international level .

First people need to understand badminton. Then the players who are involved in that needed to be familiarised. About Taufik, he accepted the offer in the firsthand and now he is complaining about it. Definitely i am sure, his team will be the winner of IBL 2013 and he is guarenteed of one of the 'shareholder' of the price money . What else he needed even without playing?? Jwala , i don't want to talk about her. She always wants some media attention towards her.
    So, comparison itself is wrong . They can't invest so much money on 'unknown' players of the market than investing on 'familiar faces' of indian badminton so that the returns are guaranteed to them. Only now, i am sure some of the indian people might be able to identify Ivanov and some others (even franchises have noticed their talent) now so that they will be purchased for huge sums. Damn sure about it.

#633 scorpion1, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  14. madbinton845

madbinton845 Regular Member

i really would likie to buy some of the team's t shirt. but they are not available to buy anywhere online! are they?!

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Exclusive: Speed Badminton comes to India

http://news.oneindia.in/2013/08/23/...s-to-india-bangalore-from-europe-1289701.html

EXCERPTS:

Two Europeans are on a mission to India. They will be seen this weekend at the Sree Kanteerava Indoor Stadium. The duo is in Bangalore for the first time and will promote a new sport in the country - Speed Badminton. Indians are familiar with badminton but Speed Badminton is a new concept that was invented more than a decade ago in Germany. Now, to attract youngsters to this new addition to the raquet sport, Markus Hellauer, an Austrian and German Jan Gronewald have been specially invited by Indian Badminton League (IBL) franchise Banga Beats.

"We are thrilled to be here in Bangalore. We have a new sport to offer to the fans here," Hellauer told OneIndia in an exclusive interview on Thursday (August 22).

Thanks to Banga Beats owners - BOP Group, Indian fans will get to see a glimpse of Speed Badminton in Bangalore on August 24, 25 and 29 (semi-finals).

Invented in Germany in 2001 by a sailor, Speed Badminton combines the best elements of three sports, tennis (the court has the size of half a tennis court, so that two Speed Badminton courts fit on one tennis court). Shuttles are called Speeders (smaller and heavier thereby move wind resistant, which allows for long distance play). And the raquet looks similar to a squash/raquetball racquet.

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]No hard feelings towards Indian Badminton League, says Awadhe 'mentor' Boe[/h]
    http://www.indianexpress.com/news/n...minton-league-says-awadhe-mentor-boe/1158906/

EXCERPTS:

"I have been named the 'unofficial' captain of the side. I have just been talking to the guys about raising our intensity. This mentoring role is kind of perfect for me," he says.

He says that his emotional tweet, that he would never set foot in India was something that happened in the heat of the moment.

"I always put my heart on my sleeve. I had supported this initiative right from the start, I even put playing for Denmark on the line. After that, I find that I was not picked in the auction and I got mad. But things worked out and I don't bear any grudges towards anyone," he says.

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yes, very erm... Original:cool:

By "We need to stop tieing ratings to marketability" Did you mean rankings? Because viewer rating is completely proportional to marketability.

18. Akim1

Akim1 Regular Member

Coach
    iBL so far

Teams screwed up auction big time. Their bidding strategy seemed a complete mess, with no expert knowledge of players capability.
    Players bought in a helter-skelter way without any considerations as to team composition.
    Argument: "The teams were also thinking in terms of marketability" Not true. We have seen by the team compositions so far that the franchises will go out of their skin to win the tournament. If a player sucks then he/she is not marketable.

Argument: "Noone knew the actual rules of the tournament" True. The teams might have been left in the dark regarding rules flr this tournament. They are still nowhere to be found. Also quite a lot of confusion regarding number of foreigners in line up, ability to play two matches within a tie, substitution of players in the roster and so on.
    Thus many teams realize that they have too expensive players on their roster. They have by chance made some great buys, and there is players that perhaps should have been coaches instead, i.e. Taufik who played like a joke and was humiliated in his match, but has been doing all the singles coaching.

Foreign players anggry as some teams try to shortchange them for money due to the decrease in value of rupees.

All players unhappy with travel arrangements.

IBL definately a succes despite all these problems. Badmintainment is going on and maybe BWF should look to adapt some of the changes employed by IBL

19. madbinton845

madbinton845 Regular Member

why there is no womens doubles? but 2 mens singles? seems a bit unfair!
    especially in india,where women have much more success when it comes to badminton!

20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I think the teams were thinking of marketability, let's face it, they did not know if certain players sucked or not. I think what you say is good and for the next auction will be more true, the goal posts have definitely moved, but we have hindsight now marketability was a big factor driven heavily by sporty solutions.