2013 Indian Badminton League (August 14 - 31)

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Feb 19, 2013.

1. fd16n

fd16n Regular Member

AW, PP, and MM are through by now, HH can slip up if they being whitewshed 5-0 by Banga Beats tommorow, which is i think nearly impossible

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yes that Is correct
    Hyderabad Hotshots, Awadhe Warriors, Pune piston and Mumbai Masters are the semi finalist.

There is still one more league match to go(BBvHH) but no matter what the result
    Banga Beats and Dehli Smashers are out of the tournament.

Still very worrying that there is still no official rules published for this league! Their is nothing viewable for the fans, which makes me think there are no proper set of rules. In order to stop corruption this obviously need to be in place.

Really important rules that have not been stated/exist yet?

1. The amount of foreign players allowed per match and how many spots can they fill
    I thought 3 but Awahde warriors played 4 in 5 spots against Hyderabad as follows -
    1 Tanongsak MS
    2Kido & 3Boe MD
    4Kido & 5Sapsiree MX

2. Substitution Players that were not originally auctioned
    Their are obviously no rules here because Jorgensen not allowed to play but Pia was. What is the ruling anyway, Banga should have just played Jan O since there is no rules on this.

3. The draw format How are the semi's drawn?!!!
    I have seen no rule on this, are they seeded? and 1v3 2v4 or 1v4 2v3
    Or is it drawn out of a hat
    Is it just completely fixed by IBL
    Is their no rule in place? If not by default the tournament is fixed by IBL

There are many many more rules I would like stated but all of these ones are very important in adhering to the leagues anti-corruption policy which they are in fear of breaking themselves as organizers
    :eek:

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

No I don't think so what rule are you using for that?
    EDIT EDIT

Hyderabad hotshots are through for sure.
    It is Mumbai Masters that are at risk of getting eliminated if Banga Beats 5-0 HH due to same points/ties won but Banga would have more higher game difference

#723 craigandy, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

AW wins 3-2 over PP

So the updated table should look like this:

AW– P5 W3 L2 Pts 16
    PP– P5 W3 L2 Pts 16
    HH– P4 W3 L1 Pts 15
    MM– P5 W2 L3 Pts 15
    ------------------------
    KDS– P5 W2 L3 Pts 13
    BB– P4 W1 L3 Pts 9

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I was in the IBL website and for the life of me, couldn't find a league table. Help?

EDIT: I found it :)

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

It is on the home page it says point table click the + button

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Thanks. Is my updated table correct?

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Looks good:) Not sure who is top of the league at the moment between PP and AW as they both score 13 match wins each(and 3 bonus points each for tie win) so I suppose it will go down to game difference

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I totaled the sets won for the cases of a teams that have same overall points and tie's won the same

Not sure if it will be done on sets difference or sets won as the first port of call to decide but

AW has won 32 lost 25 +7sets
    PP has won 29 lost 28 +1sets

So what ever way you look at that one AW are above PP in the league, and you were right to put AW at the top [MENTION=7451]madbad[/MENTION]

with regards to who gets booted out - the match tomorrow If and only if Banga wins 5-0 against hyderabad

Banga will have won at least 32 sets (they have lost so far 27)
    Mumbai only will have won 31 sets (they have lost 31)

If this is done by sets won then Banga will go through, if it is games difference mumbai are on 0 and if Banga lost one set in each match then both banga and Mumbai would be tied on +/-0 sets. :D

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Thanks for sorting this all out. Now what are the odds of Banga handing Hyderabad a 5-0 whitewash? Slim and none :D

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Hmm lets see, since I'm bored I will give it a go:D
    Assuming the line up

Jan O v Ajay 80%
    TTY v Saina 40% (based on 5-2 h to h)
    Mog/Dewalk v Goh/lim 30%
    Kashyap v Tanongsak 50%
    Mog/Balan v Goh/sikki 60%

Don't know how a bookmaker would work it out or a stats man but lets say the chances of all these matches going BB's way together on the same day I am going to divide the average percent by 10:D

So about a 5.2% chance :D

#731 craigandy, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

13. terranova

terranova Regular Member

AW,PP and MM have qualified
    Either of tonight's teams will be remaining semifinalist.
    If BB beat HH 5-0, BB goes thru. Any other result and HH goes thru

Well HH is not 100% in yet. If by some fluke BB whitewashes HH 5-0, then HH is out :)
    You make some valid points that the rules are not clear cut.
    2. Substitution Players that were not originally auctioned
    I think the council decides on this. In case of DS and BB match, Jan O was approved to play but after DS threatened walkout, BB apparently graciously replace Jan O to avoid disappointing their home crowd fans with walkover.

3. The draw format How are the semi's drawn?!!!
    Likely the popular convention of 1v3 and 2v4

No, Mumbai Masters are in semis regardless of tonight's result. If Banga wins 5-0, HH is out cos their games won is only 12 compared to 13 for BB and MM.

Nice work but all in vain cos I think they use criteria of Head to Head if games won are same. So really it will never come to sets counting cos there are only win or loss and no draw when it comes to head to head record.
    So if BB wins 5-0 vs HH, they have same points and same games as MM and if they have to decide which of them goes thru they look at head to head record and MM beat BB in their match so MM goes thru. But in this case, MM and BB would both go thru cos they have better games record than HH :D

#733 terranova, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  14. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Not so popular convention and crudely unfair. It makes sense for the semifinals to be 1v4 and 2v3 Give the topper of the table some advantage atleast... thats what ranking is for anyways... :)

15. madbinton845

madbinton845 Regular Member

IBL Official@IBL_Official2h
    Watch Saina Nehwal's Hyderabad HotShots go up against P. Kashyap's Banga Beats in the Vodafone Indian Badminton League tonight !

LOL! Boyfriend vs Girl Friend tonight!

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Sindhu's confidence is increasing day by day in IBL. Now, she has beaten all the top 10 players except Saina and Ratchanok.. I want HH to qualify for semis and hope both the teams meet each other in semis to fight for finals. Since both these girls are tough, i want sindhu to win her match against Saina though i want HH to win the tie.

#736 scorpion1, Aug 27, 2013
  17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Thank you, Yeah you are right I just heard the commentator say the same thing with regards to HH. So even though HH (assuming they lost tonight 5-0) Would have Beat Mumbai head to head and won more ties than them but still would go down over Mumbai. That strange.
    So Take the scenario that HH win one game tonight and they also finished on 16 points with AW and PP. Assume HH had beaten AW in their tie but lost to PP in that tie and keep it the same that Aw won tie against PP who would be top then?????? They would all deserve top rights over each other.
    @terranova can you please show me where your getting the rules?

With regards to the semi's I don't care how they are drawn as long as the rule has already been in place since the start and is transparent/viewable to all. Otherwise it is just fixed/corrupt.

The amount of foreigners in a match and how many spots is a big problem if that rule is not in place as AW are now top of the league and they used a foreigner in one more spot then any team has and it would have made the world of difference to Banga beats if they could field 4 in 5 spots. Do you know what happened here?? edit Mumbai did it aswell against KDS

#737 craigandy, Aug 27, 2013
  18. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    H2H records counts only when there are two teams that are tied, for more than 2 teams at the same points its their games won/lost which is calculated, if still they are tied on that count also then the points difference should be taken into consideration.... Not sure about the last thing!

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Well the substitution thing has been cleared up.

http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsd...replacement-legal-IBL-Governing-Council-.html
    The rule says that a player can be replaced if found injured. Also, there is this clause that a player can replace another only if his ranking and base price is similar or lower. O Jorgensen's ranking and base price were both lower than Hu Yun so he fits into the category," Sinha, who is also the Badminton Association of India (BAI) general secretary, told IANS.

O Jorgensen could have played the match because Hu Yun was injured. We got his medical reports on time. A replacement is allowed before the tie starts and not after that. We left it to the two teams to decide amongst themselves," IBL governing council member Puri told IANS.

:eek:Why was it left to the teams to decide. It was completely legal and IBL should have made that Info clear and available so no complaints. Do the teams not have a copy of these rules? Is it just one big secret?
    Well the disorganization continues to ruin IBL,
    Banga beats have effectively had their tournament/chances ruined by this. Not acceptable.

20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ok thanks by games won/lost I take it you mean sets? Where you getting all this from please?