Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龙大 ) / Ko Sung Hyun ( 고성현 / 高成铉 )

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by visor, Nov 16, 2012.

1. PerryH

PerryH Regular Member

Analyst
    Pretty disappointing to see that Ko/Lee are losing so many of their matches to new pairs.

I don't know if LYD can ever get back to the LYD/JJS vs CY/FHF days... those were epic.

2. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ahhhh I miss the days when Koo/Tan were still a real threat (at least from time to time) and JJS/LYD clashed with CY/FHF :(
    But let's stay positive - maybe a couple bad results will either motivate Ko/Lee to get back to their best or get the coaching team to think again and try some different combinations.
    Problem for the Korean squad, imop, is the generally less aggressive way they approach the game and the lack of real smashing machines to complement Lee.
    China have no lack of aggressive, explosive smashers, while they can't find so many great tacticians and net players.

4. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Agree. The matches between LYD/JJS and CY/FHF are usually epic clashes. Their matches are normally filled with great rallies, power smashes, amazing netshots, unbelievable saves. There is drama, tension, excitement, you name it, you have it!

IMO, LYD/JJS vs CY/FHF matches are the MD version of LCW vs LD game. Clash of the titans! Really great to watch!

Sadly with the retirement of JJS, we'll probably not have the chance to enjoy such exciting matches in the future.

#324 nizze, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It should be obvious by now that LYD's partnership with JJS is/was the best for KOR, hard to replicate, at least not yet. The kind of tacit mutual understanding between the two where no words were necessary during play, just a knowing look,a raised palm, a pat on the back,a nod of the head, from and to each other would do is what made the two clique perfectly. The same goes for CY/FHF.

6. ah tat

ah tat Regular Member

student
  7. ah tat

ah tat Regular Member

student
    seems like lyd is using mx jjs

8. ah tat

ah tat Regular Member

student
    1234097_409252299175647_1120289864_n.jpg

10 characters

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sorry, I mean 'clicked'.:D

If LYD still cannot find another player to click with him (or maybe it's his own problem more than his partner's), he will soon be surpassed by other KOR pairs.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yep, agree on that. Kim/Kim are certainly in the fast lane where improvements are concerned (KKJ also seems to be losing some of that unnecessary weight if I'm not mistaken)...as they're lacking a really strong XD right now, imop the Korean squad should pay close attention to finding a good XD partner for KSH, who played some sensational XD matches/tournaments with HJE before they decided to pair her with LYD....
    And maybe try a few other MD partners for both KSH and LYD. I certainly feel KSH could perform better with a less famous partner where he doesn't feel the pressure is on him so much. No idea about LYD though, he might click with KSR but he does so well with KKJ I wouldn't take them apart if I were a Korean coach.

11. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    http://www.badzine.net/news/yoo-yeon-seong-to-partner-lee-yong-dae/26958/

Looks like the end of KO/LEE...
    What do you think? Would Yoo fit Lee? I´m really not sure...
    Ko/Shin could make a good pair as they don´t have the kind of pressure everyone has with Lee.
    I really can´t say which combinations of KKJ, KSR, KSH, SBS, YYS and LYD should be the best.
    All pairings seem to have the potential to beat the ROW but all lack of consitence which LYD with JJS showed.
    I hope they find the right combination as I love the way Koreans play doubles. Always good in defense, fast and not afraid to rally (eventhough serve, return and third shot are most important nowadays with Ahsan/Setiawan, Bo/Mo and Liu/Qui... I hope they get back to more exciting rallies!!)

12. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

LYD should pair up with FHF, seriously :D Both, Korea and China would get the gold medals ;)
    Sorry for off topic :p

13. icey_drone

icey_drone Regular Member

Student
    Ko/Lee was a bad idea in the first place... Ko was always under pressure partnering him and couldn't handle it. Always apologetic and not voicing his opinions to LYD because of his lack in confidence

Yoo would be better. But I'd like Yoo/Ko back.

Shin Baek Cheol is very versatile and all round. I reckon he and LYD would be okay. But Yoo is definitely more upfront...

Its good they notice they need change now. Cos I don't see Ko/Lee partnership progressing any further...

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Yoo would fit Lee best out of all the others, as he has the most consistently fastest smash... next to JJS of course. This would allow him to play at the back and Lee in front, where he's at his best. And Yoo has a more solid defence than Ko, so at least he won't wilt so easily under attacking pressure. Looking forward to see.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hm. From what I remember from the Ko/Yoo partnership, I can't agree with a single sentence :D
    For me, Ko was always the outstanding player in the partnership where defense and attacking play from the back were concerned, with Yoo slowly growing into a better net player from 2011 on. He was certainly the more nervous of the two, the 2011 WC SF was a clear example of that.
    That being said, maybe he'll just mash better with Lee and they'll enjoy the consistent success that seemed out of Ko/Lee's grasp these past few months...

16. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

I still think KSR would be the better match for LYD.
    But it seems like LYD needs a daddy figure like JJS. JJS was the silent strong and confident type which probably gave LYD the confidence that his back was always covered.
    KSH's nervous energy was probably not good for LYD at all.

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Just get JJS out of retirement. Problem solved.

18. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Maybe but Kim/Kim are having some nice success plus the fact that they are younger, which means that this pair might play together for a long time.

19. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    LYD should pair with LCW - they will be unbeatable and can do away with KKK/TBH.
    Only need to give LYD citizenship instead of Bangla in Sabah.

20. MonkeyMadness

MonkeyMadness Regular Member

Intersting LYD / Yoo! I must admit like some other posters on here i had not thought of that combination. I had always thought that Shin would have been a better option but im excited to see how Yoo does. Hes very solid and i think a little underated. Its good to see that the Korean management have acted because Ko (and LYD) were starting to play very poorly for their ability. Ko must be happy to be moving on and hopefully get back on track. I dont know if its just me but with LYD drop in form i think he has become a massive headache for the Korean team - he is too high profile to ever drop and they seem to be breaking up good pair to accommodate him. Im just glad they kept Kim/Kim together. I think LYD is amazing but he need to get back to his best.

Fingers crossed for the new Korean pairs - Ko/Shin could be very exciting.