2013 Yonex-Sunrise HONG KONG Open SS : Semifinals & FINALS (23rd-24th November 2013)

Discussion in 'Hong Kong / Macau / Vietnam Open 2013' started by CLELY, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Because the photographers asked them to..;)

2. naistav

naistav Regular Member

To defeat LCW is "easy". Strike his mentality by delivering the message that someone able to match him. It can be ability to retrieve his smashes several times or match his speed. When LCW played against LD, LD defend his area from LCW smashes really well, so LCW lost his confident to launch his smashes.
    When Sony defeated LCW several times, Sony retrieved LCW smashes and strike back when he had chances. But easier said than done of course:cool:.

3. fauci

fauci Regular Member

It was still Wendy who was doing the interviews. Do they not have a better one after so many years?

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well I'm home now, being delayed and distracted by the yellow and blue building that the famous IKEA is well known for. I strolled into IKEA where the home furnishings are now geared for the festive Christmas season. From time to time IKEA offers good value for money, especially for the small items.

Apart from IKEA that is opposite and close by Alexandra Village, the more popular building in the vicinity for sports enthusiasts is the Queensway Shopping Centre, now renovated, where I go for my restringing, QSC is supposedly a favourite place for sports goods at relatively reasonable prices. AV is just behind this building.

The private condo, "The Anchorage" is just across the road from QSC. Another private condo is now springing up from the old SAFRA (Singapore Armed Forces Reservists Association) site opposite QSC and adjacent to IKEA.

Another popular hawker centre opposite AV is the ABC Brickworks Food Centre. AV has been renovated recently and looks brighter and cleaner but the food at ABC is not bad either.

But I sacrificed today, being my badminton day, just to stay back for the Hong Kong Open finals.
    Yet I left for an early dinner when the WD started not long after as I'd been sitting down for too long and I knew that the MS would probably be one-sided, no disrespect to Sony who has beaten LCW before if my memory serves me well.

After two days of rest, I'm looking forward to tomorrow and work. But it has been too many quiet days in the office as the stock market has been rather dull. In exchange, I can spend more time on the internet and leave the office earlier.

Now Johor will have its rest day on Friday and this will affect some dealings with Singapore. Hope the impact will not be too detrimental.

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    She asked LCW if he is going to take one year off to concentrate on the big games.:D
    What a ridiculous question.

6. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

uncle Loh, please becareful. Please do not play on your smart phone while walking. :D

7. fauci

fauci Regular Member

maybe he should, that's a brilliant question...

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you my lady. You are absolutely right, I never sms or answer my iphone while walking. Far too dangerous to me and to others!

I was at the hawker centre at AV after my meal when I rejoined the BC forum.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I agree with you that Sony was never in the same league as LD or LCW from 2008 onward; before that time, maybe Sony came close to matching them.

Coming back to today's final, Sony was simply out of his depth, completely outclassed. Not only that, LCW didn't even play well, making so many unforced errors ( of course, not all errors are unforced, sometimes they could be due to your opponent's excellent play) which was quite uncharacteristic of him.

In other words, almost 90% of Sony's points were gifted from LCW; you could literally count the number of points he won by outplaying LCW on the fingers of one hand. If not for LCW's error-prone game, the score would be even more one-sided and humiliating, reminiscent of their previous encounter.

Enough said lest I'm misunderstood as running Sony down when actually I'm merely expressing my disappointment with the dismal outcome of which LCW is partly responsible.

Fortunately, the outstanding quality of the WS Final saves the day; even the XD, WD and MD were finals worthy of appreciation.

10. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Got to like that new Korean pairing though :)

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

H
    You might as well say to beat Usian Bolt in 100m is "easy".
    Try to keep one step ahead of him from start to finish, to be on the safe side try to do in under 9 seconds. That should do it.

12. Yellowfish

Yellowfish Regular Member

sales
    Like to see how Lee/Ko play in next month SS final in KL

13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The last match of yesterday finale was an anti-climax, the shortest duration of 5 finals, Lee CW controlled whole 2 games with his super attacking style, SDK can't do much to balance the world #1.

6th SS title for Lee CW, affirms his supremacy and consistency in SS circuit, KOR-MAS-IND-INA-JPN-HKG and most likely next month SS Finals.

The happy ending for Adcock/White to taste their first ever SS title, major breakthrough from this English couple.

Lee Young Dae with his new partnership has collected 3 SS titles of 5 tournaments, excellent!