Blister, thick dead skin and after-play pain?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by SparringKiat, Dec 17, 2013.

1. SparringKiat

SparringKiat Regular Member

Is blister in the foot usual case for a sportman, or more specific here, a badminton player? What is the reason? Bad footwork or bad shoes?

How about thick dead skin? The skin of my feet is thicker than a bg80 strings due to blisters! LOL! Do you guys have the same problem too?

And my ankle always experience slight pain that last for like 2 days after play? Is it because lack of warm-ups before play?

Would like some advice from all of the seniors here! Thanks! :D

2. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Blisters can be a common problem when you change shoes. I read an article about this and a coach for a certain soccer club said that he never lets his player use new shoes for more than maybe 10-15 minutes until they've been 'broken into'. If you want, you can always put taping or band aids around areas where you know are common places for blisters on your foot (like your heel etc).
    Also, make sure you don't have too big shoes. You don't want your feet moving around in your shoe, that'll give you blisters and not to mention instability.

As for 'dead skin', it's hardened skin. Your skin becomes harder and harder as you put more stress on it. Having hardened skin on feet when playing badminton isn't unusual. The skin on my right heel is far more thicker and goes further up than it does on my left foot since I'm right handed and always land on my right feet.

Pain your ankle probably means that you've made a misstep when playing, in other words a slight twisted ankle. The problem with twisted ankles, even small ones, is that once you've twisted it once, it becomes a habit. Ankle supporter is the answer to this, to stabilize your ankle so that you don't twist it as easily.

3. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Used to have dead skin and blisters forming after each session, but I no longer have it. I rub some medicated cream and put on a plaster for the affected toes before putting on the socks. I'm unsure of the causes of the dead skin and blisters.

As for your ankle problem, it could be bad footwork, bad landing, or other issues. And which foot. The racket foot ankle hurts or the non-racket foot ankle hurts? Which area hurts? I think a doctor will be able to ask more.

If you have flat-footedness, it may affect... but I don't think it's a significant factor because your body will adapt. Used to have a little pain after every training session at the start, now it doesn't even exist. But if I stop for a few months and restart training/playing, the pain will be back, before subsiding after a few more sessions...

4. SparringKiat

What do you mean by "broken into"? o_O?

Ooh i see, taping..will try that next time..but what type of tape is used for that?

Can dead skin be removed? I'm a rightie too, and ya the dead skin in my right feet is wayyyy thicker than the one in my left!

Well, thanks for your advice! =D

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    where on the foot?

6. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Quick solution,
    My foot always gets blistered and I mean 100% all the time after I go home from playing. Double sock!! (;

7. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    What I meant by 'break in' is the time you need to let your foot get used to your new shoe. It might be in an instant or it might take a few weeks.

As for taping, any will do, but it should be able endure stress. I usually buy the kind of tape that is used to wrap twisted ankles, fingers etc (not kinesio... I think it's called coach tape?). It will basically work as a second layer of skin.

Yes, you can remove the skin if you want to. I do it from time to time. If you don't take care of it, it'll cause blisters or similar problems underneath it. I've never had this problem with my foot, but I've had it on my hand since I lift weights as well.
    What you want to do is to do it while you're taking a shower or bath (or right after). By using hot water, your skin will become softer. After that, just use a file or such to get rid of it. I also use skin cream afterwards.

Hope this helps.

8. SparringKiat

Sometimes, the big toe. Sometimes the big patch of area right under the big toe.

9. SparringKiat

I mean can dead skin be removed permanently? I recently had a blister under a thick dead skin, like almost 1mm, and the blister just won't break and the water trapped inside because the dead skin is just so thick. And thanks for the coach tape, I'll try to look for it somewhere, maybe a pharmacy.

10. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Permanent removal is impossible. It's not dead skin, just hardened (the real term for it is callus). I've never managed to get rid of all of it, but even if you could get rid of all of it, the skin will just toughen up again as it's a reaction of repeated stress. Even if you just walk normally you get it. It's because we play badminton that we get more of it than someone who doesn't play badminton.

11. SparringKiat

Oh I see..Ok thanks! heehee :D

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is possible to remove the thick layer of deadskin/callus. you can buy devices like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Emjoi-Micro-P...ie=UTF8&qid=1387384042&sr=1-1&keywords=callus

that will sand it away. i have a simpler version which is basically an abrasive file that i use to file away thick dead skin.

http://www.amazon.com/Rosallini-Pla...e=UTF8&qid=1387384164&sr=1-32&keywords=callus

it works well if you do it during or after the shower when the skin is wet and soft.

the key is to do it regularly and before the thick skin starts to build up.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as for the real cause, it is hard to say. it maybe bad shoes, or sometimes it is just the nature of things.

i always have a callus that develop on the outward side of my toes. ie. left of right toe, or right of left toe. both sides. the build up is gradual but after a few heavy playing days, blisters develops under the callus and sometimes they pop and blood will be accumulated under it.

i have tried at least half a dozen pair of different type of shoes and none of them helped.

eventually i just accepted that's the way it is and when i started filing it down regularly, it is mostly under control.

if you have a thick one built up already, file it down gradually and don't try to do it in one go. that will ease the pain.

14. lurker

lurker Regular Member

sorry to necro old threads
    is this the location to are trying to describe above?

*photo from the www*
    [​IMG]

15. bdmtfreak

bdmtfreak Regular Member

I get that on my feet too. I think its inevitable no matter how good your shoes are due to the constant stress placed upon that area during movement in badminton. I just wear thicker socks when I play to try and alleviate some of the stress.

16. ProblemSolver

ProblemSolver New Member

I'm experiencing the same, I use Yonex Smash shoes with Decathlon Run 700 Insoles!

image0 (1).jpeg

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes.

I file it down with callus sanding stick. Best done after shower when the skin is moist and soft. And best not to let it accumulate too thick before filing. The longer the wait, the more pain. I recommend once a month if you play more than a couple of times a week.

and a 5 yrs delayed reply to a 3 yrs delayed reply.. :D

Woesi and lurker like this.
  18. ProblemSolver

ProblemSolver New Member

Can someone please suggest the best shoes with both comfort and budget with the best cushion and ankle support, I have plantar fasciitis and heel pain.

I'm currently using Yonex Smash which is pretty basic and decent with hexagrip, caused dead skin, as shown above. Suggestions are greatly helpful.

Thanks.

19. lurker

lurker Regular Member

[​IMG]

posting here for the record

visor likes this.
  20. visor

visor Regular Member

Whoa! He should have taken care of that sooner instead of allowing it to get to that point.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk