Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Chong Wei: I lost to a better player

Chong Wei: I lost to a better player

[​IMG]

Rajes PaulThe Star/Asia News Network
    Monday, Jan 13, 2014

KUALA LUMPUR - World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei has promised to bounce back stronger at the Malaysian Open after failing to get off to a dream start in the season-opening Korean Open in Seoul.

The 31-year-old shuttler went down 14-21, 15-21 to China's Chen Long in Sunday's 56-minute men's singles final, thus crushing his hopes of winning the Korean Open for the fourth time.

It was Chen Long's eighth win over Chong Wei in 15 meetings - and his fourth consecutive victory over the Malaysian - in a period of 14 months.

The powerful Chen Long, who is trying to fill in the shoes of five-time world champion Lin Dan, produced an efficient display to give himself an early 25th birthday present.

Chen Long, who turns 25 on Jan 18, accelerated to a 7-0 first-game lead in just six minutes - showcasing his brilliance at the net and superb execution of smashes from the baseline.

Chong Wei recovered from the horrendous start to show plenty of urgency midway through the game. However, it wasn't enough to prevent the pumped-up Chen Long from nailing the opener.

A rejuvenated Chong Wei stepped up his game to take an impressive 10-6 lead in the second game but Chen Long refused to back down.

The China shuttler charged back into the game to level the score at 13-13 and kept pushing Chong Wei deeper into all kinds of trouble before romping home to his first Korean Open title - and show the world that he is ready to dominate the season.
    Two-time Olympic Games silver medallist Chong Wei did not offer any excuses for his defeat.

"I lost to a better player. Chen Long played well. I was quite impatient in the opening game and made some errors,"
    said Chong Wei in a telephone conversation after the match.

2. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

How many times had TS beat CL? To what level he deserves to be a "bogey" player to CL?

What I could find from BWF record of H2H is CL 6 : TS 1....

#9722 Jonc108, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

It's difficult to find any excuse if you lost 4 times in a row to the same player within 14 months, all in 0:2, particularly if you watch this latest loss in Korean SS finals...

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Hopefully his plan was to save his energy for his 10th consecutive Malaysian Open win. :p

#9724 visor, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  5. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Since that win TS game has improved and he defeated a top form CL and has started to
    enter semifinal and final - CL is so difficult to beat these days that one victory for an
    upcoming player means a lot and when he's an Indonesian, watch out, that means its not
    a fluke but a lot of video watching and technical coaching.

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    not consecutive at all.
    peter gade won one when he is on fever:cool:

7. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    LCW is in final. Wonder if he wins the M'sia Open will he gives away all his VTZF and use VTZF2 in his next tournament?

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    There is no need to find excuse, CW knows this is year 2014 already and with a fire breathing dragon CL there's nothing much he can do accept be consistent going to finals or semi finals and collect as much $$$ while he still can. So you guys if you are all still thinking of old CW trying to win a major, good luck! :D

9. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Lucky Chen Long lost in the quarter final, Lee Chong Wei Continue to win , without any fight!
    I think The japanese guy Tago too tired after match against Chen Long. Semi final out !

10. volcom

volcom Regular Member

I wish I had half of the money LCW has :D....

Or he could donate me one of his non proton sports cars :)

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Proton got no sports car unless you count Lotus in. Even their D-segment car is from Honda. Mr. Kangkong and other ministers are using them as official cars.

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    This is what I have saying for so long...LCW is a pro player, collect all those ringgit and SS/SSP while the going is still good, if CHC is absent so much the better and say thanmk you to LYB being generous. LCW once said he may passed up SSF, I posted there is no way he would not play in the SSF, the field is so weak, easy money and playing at home. After playing days is over, play the political connection card and Malaysian style business, even play politics. If you think Malaysian politics does not make money, check it out. Make sure you align yourself with the winning horse;)

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  14. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
  16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I don't think he will retire. Definitely like OTB says, too much money. If there is any retirement, I guess he needs to go round the circuit for one more year to do more promotional events in preparation for post-retirement life. Rather like Peter Gade and Taufik (although more Yonex contract requirements).

Could you ever imagine LCW retiring and not having him play in Malaysian Open? A ten time winner not letting the home fans say goodbye to him? Definitely not.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if LCW retires, it will prove again that he is weak in the mental side of things.

he is a national icon and so far he has been capitalizing on that one fact. commercial and banners across the country bring in all the money for him so he can buy his sports car and live like a king.

this is all possible because he is still playing, and winning. and the country love him. but fans have short memory, once he is out of the spot light, sponsors will go away as well. and so will his lifestyle.

there is some talk about him coaching the younger generation, i don't see that happening. coaching is tough life and simply don't pay enough i am afraid. he will be on contract and salary and will have to continuously deal with idiots in BAM. not the best type of life.

i do see him opening badminton club, following the example of Taufik and others. I don't know how much revenue that will generate though, and I honestly doubt he will be very involved in the running of such a club himself.

all these retirement is just a smoke screen. as long has he is still winning, i don't think that will happen.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Imho there's another way to look at retirement : better to leave the sport at the top of the game, instead of inevitably going thru a slow declining phase. Like TH or PG. He is 31 after all, not a young pup anymore... even though he may be one of the fittest player in badminton history, time is not on his side.

Plus, mentally it'll be getting more difficult for his will power to train and play to win as much as previously, now that he's a dad and family becomes more important.

#9739 visor, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  20. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Yup, like what visor has said. Retire at top of the game when he's still world no 1.

Supporters won't think that he's getting old except for the more sensible ones. They will just think he is starting to lose to everyone. By then, his no. 1 spot will be taken over by others.

So at the very least, when he retires at world no 1, few can claimed to beat him. Right now, there's only LD and CL (on a more frequent basis).