Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Badminton clubs and coaching won't bring in the kind of money to maintain his current good lifestyle. I think he is already involved in property development which can bring in the money.

2. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Not many can retire while at the top of their games (albeit a bit old) coz they are used to be in the limelight throughout their careers/lives. Look at Michael Jordan, he retired and played some baseball then back to basketball, again, and no way found his old forms. Roger Federer is a good mirror for LCW coz RF is getting old n losing matches to lower ranked players. Not forgetting Taufik Hidayat who suffered the same fate as RF.

LCW should retire by the end of THIS year, regardless of the outcome of Commonwealth and Asia Games. IMHO, these two games are nowhere near the prestige of WC and OG, so LCW will always be remembered as "two times Olympics SILVER medalists". The next generation will NOT bother if he had won 52 MS titles (LD only has 51 MS titles) or 10 Msia SS titles (yes, this is the feat no one has ever achieved), but what matters are OG and WC. Having said that, no one should discredit what LCW has achieved, kudos to 大马一哥。

What we remember about Rashid? Olympics Bronze medalist. FooKK? 1992 Thomas Cup hero. BOLEH?
    :p

3. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

I'm not sure why but my guts keep telling me LCW is only gonna retire on getting MO's title. Not on other SSP title.

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You are too focus on the game and winning...you should rewind back to 30-40 years ago where players play for pride and country, no money at that time, players had real daytime jobs...today's game is money first money talks, show me the money, no money no talk. Play 5 games and you could win US$30K, 40K and more...win the majors and the bonus exceed these figures, plus untold endorsement $$$ rolling in. And we are talking USD, not ruppee or ringgit. Check the USD conversion to ringgit, check how much an average Malaysian earns in a year, you do the math. Not bad for a Form dropout, actually make LCW the most successful self-made millionaire Form 3 dropout in Malaysian history.
    Sure LCW is rich, but who would say 'I don't need more' with the USD keeps rolling in.
    The BAM idiots need him to keep playing, LCW feeds them. Without LCW, these idiot coaches are exposed butt naked, no freaking good. As long as he can still win and BAM is kissing to ask him to play on, life is good. LCW help these idiots, the idiots in turn help LCW, after all it is not their $$, it is the tax payers. He can command the $$$, like appearance $$ to keep playing. He can fool a lot of people with this retirement thingie, not OTB. I bet Dec 2015 he will still be playing, and then it is only 8 months to RIO...bet on that....mark this post, remind me if I am wrong;)

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    inland revenue board was investigating one of the nation most popular and successful athlete. :cool:authority claimed he never fill in his income tax for the past few years.
    in the letter,the prize money and endorsement income was clearly stated.
    ---
    as far as i know,prize money of athlete aren't taxable income.
    endorsement,yes.

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Wonder who that dude is;) And the prize money are in USD while local endorsements ringgit, one Mother-Of-A-Big-Difference:D Quick, dial the PM's wife, now who dare to audit me:p

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Did Limsy made any reference to the title of this thread? You are jumping the gun and putting the cart before the horse.

8. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I did noy say who

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

LCW forged a partnership with his god-father, uncle looi, a few years back to open his own badminton club/academy in KL. http://www.looiba.com.my/datuk-lee-chong-wei-sports-arena

Even if he decided to retire, I'm very sure the clowns in BAM will try their best to stop him from doing that. Furthermore, with interference from BAM's so called patron, you guys know who that is;), I'm afraid LCW's retirement will not be so soon though.

10. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

LCW is a great sportsman, but never a good spokesman.... much of what he spoken in the past always appeared to be naive, immature or boyish.... (even some ppls may feel bad at what i said..)

to be short, i don't believe in what he says...

i don't believe he will retire this year, nor next year... just like i didn't believe he will retire after OG12...

there will be another series of drama of persuasion from the sports minister, then prime minister, then whatsoever, then CW will reluctantly promise to continue, say he will continue for the malaysians, for the fans.... making himself focus again, a hero again... so much like a child's drama for attention...

so tired of seeing all these flip-flop games...

#9750 Jonc108, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  11. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Ithought LCW said he will play less and focus on the majors this year. But now he enters to play in INA Superliga team, payout is US$83K per team competition. So if the team Dato is on wins, his team gets $83K, I figure LCW will get >US10K per match, i.e. more than any SS or SSP payout. Like I said, money talks, no money talk, show me the money and I come play...;).

12. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

I think 2 or 3yrs ago, he said that that particular world championship was his last before the tournament begins. and after he got the silver, he announced that 'I'll be back'.. and guess what? he's still playing until this year, being one of his main target. and probably will keep playing for the next 3 or 4yrs. Maybe he will really retire after he get a gold colour medal, who knows? but I do know that there are a lot of youngsters trying very hard to beat him while he's still playing. I really do hope that he can retire as world number 1 or 2 or 3 rather than fade away slowly in terms of ranking and dissapear from top 20 or so...

13. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Maybe he thought he could get the gold medal. He doesn't wanna retire as a second fiddle to ld I guess.

14. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Wrong. He knows he's incapable of getting gold medal in big tourneys anymore.

15. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    As I have stated in my earlier postings, LCW is presently most business
    minded and is in it for the money. He is quite lucky that at the tail end of his
    career, badminton leagues are sprouting everywhere. - money, money, money
    and money!!!
    But I have to admit, he deserves everything he's getting but the taxman will
    disagree...

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lcw once said he will retired before oympic 2008.
    it has been 6 years~~~

17. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Without CL/LD, LCW being so consistent and in fantastic fitness is still the 1 to beat. The money is good with leaques sprouting all over recruiting LCW, the USD prize plus appearance/signing fee are easy pickings, and without the CHN duo there, another big USD payday awaits.
    These leaques are no more than a practice/exhibition session for LCW, play 1 match per session, more entertainment than what it is and collect more USD than SS/SSP pays on average per day i.e. if he wins the SS/SSP.
    Forget about all these retirement hypes, LCW will continue to play SS/SSP/majors beyond 2014 and till RIO16 as long as he can still win. Winning brings in the $$ plus enhancing his endorsement fee. Honestly, only CL (whenever he participates) can threaten LCW but CL is not consistent against other players and got knockout before he can get into the final to face LCW. LD (if what is posted is correct that he will be back in March, we shall see) is generous avoiding SS/SSP, that makes it so much easier for LCW to accumulate all these SS/SSP titles. So all these talks about LCW retiring at the end of this year, I bet my...my, err my what now..umm 'gold fish' that ain't gonna happen.

#9757 OneToughBirdie, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  18. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Agree LCW deserves his rewards, he earns them. Those clown coaches and previous BAM management are just there to ride along, LCW makes the job easy and wins for them, they just yawn and collect the easy pay cheque.
    As for LCW is in it for the money, I can't blame him. You and I would do the same if we are him. He is a pro player, no win, no pay, this is his livelihood. For 1 LCW, there were countless others who makes nothing and going nowhere when they retire. This is risky business to invest your youth chasing this dream.
    BAM setup the pay scheme, LCW happens to play for the right country and he is talented, work very hard and smart to reap the rewards. His other MD comrades, have the talent but stupidly lazy, and missed this golden opportunity.
    Just that so many forumers are so concerned that LCW would fade and lose and gotten beat up eventually, and should retire while on top now. What a bunch of baloney. LCW is thinking 'how can I make money?', 'show me the money and I come play leaque/exhibition, even XD', time is running out.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member