Pengyu DU ( 杜鹏宇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by TheComedian, May 23, 2011.

1. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ??????????????

3. RedShuttle

Try again:
    dpy.jpg

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    My translation! :D :D :D :D :D

dpy-FRE.jpg

5. RedShuttle

Thanks for unveiling the true identity of the blue eyed devil.

6. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Ah Du is on track for his third QF appearance against LCW.:crying:

7. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    I just wonder what is Du Pengyu doing after his resignation from the national squad?

I guess he's still doing badminton, perhaps playing at some club and provincial level. Anyone having some update?

8. RVStrike13

RVStrike13 Regular Member

Student
    Sorry for bumping but I'm very curious as well. He retired at a very young age and it was pretty shocking. He had great potential.

9. Edmund96

Edmund96 Regular Member

-
    i saw somewhere on fb that he was taking stringing lessons

10. syntaxerror

syntaxerror Regular Member

Unfortunate that he retired so young because China MS could definitely use him right now, with WZM not living up to expectations, Lin Dan faltering, and no sign of new stars emerging.

Hope he's still playing badminton, at least at the provincial level. Although not the most talented player, was immensely hard working.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The already retired Du Pengyu's exploit for taking out Ng Kah Long yesterday (31st Aug 2017) at the 13th Chinese National Games Team Event Round 2, 21-11, 21-17 has been reported in the newsmedia and described as the story of 拼命三郎 (a brave man willing to risk his life).
    http://sports.enorth.com.cn/system/2017/09/01/033652200.shtml

It's been three years since Du Pengyu returned to competition, for him to be able to defeat a world top 10 player,Ng Kah Long, is astonishing, helping Beijing beat Hong Kong by 3:0. But he remained low-key when interviewed,"First time playing, I didn't think too much, just do my best. At the crucial stage, inside me I really want to perform well, my hands were also shaking."

After the 2014 Thomas Cup, Du Pengyu elected to retire, rather abruptly. Always keeping a low profile and down-to-earth, he returned to his hometown in Bebei Baoding and opened a badminton product specialty store, and even learn racquet stringing on his own. Not being good at expressing himself, he learned to interact and communicate with people in different circles of society. his diligence at work is no less than when he was a professional player, Sometimes when work gets too busy, he would stay alone at the second storey of the shopfront.

When talking about his post-retirement life, he would sketch in light shades:" Just selling badminton products, also give some training to kids, after all, I'm no good at other things."

" During my retirement, my parents' health are not so good." As for why he retired suddenly, Du Pengyu is unwilling to say much but we can see his reluctance to leave the badminton arena.Last year, the Beijing Team contacted Du Pengyu, hoping he would come back out of retirement to participate in the Tianjin Chinese National Games. "The Beijing where I belonged to understands my personal situation, that I can strike a balance between training and family. Otherwise, my family would definitely agree to it (returning to competition)."

He added, the reason why he returns to play is that he still has the affection for the sport, and wishes to repay the Beijing team for nurturing him. Moreover, he himself also wanted to give it a shot.

Beginning from November last year, Du Pengyu returned to Beijing in preparation for the Chinese National Games. He was assiduous at training, no worse than the younger teammates, at one internal 5000m running test, he even came in third. He stated:" My stamina now is certainly not as good as before, but my burden is not as heavy as formerly, responsibility is lighter." (with Lin Dan and Qiao Bin in the team, he's expected to do duty as MS3 or MS2 at most - Justin).

At the previous 12th Chinese National Games (2013), Du Pengyu unfortunately lost to Lin Dan in the Men's Singles Final, taking silver. For this year's edition, he is taking part in both the team and individual events." Having persisted for so long in preparing for the National Games, constantly adjusting to the joys and sorrows, as for the outcome, I will gradually stake my all, and not think too much."

#31 Justin L, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  12. lasalleguy

lasalleguy Regular Member

wannabe player
    just saw the game Chen Long between and Du Pengyu. Du played very well, still good enough to give CL a good fight. Better than some the recent MS players I seen for the last 2 - 3 yrs since his abrupt retirement after 2014 Thomas Cup. I think sina.com/sports had an article when they interviewed him. It had to do the selection for the 2016 Olympics. I could be wrong since it was written in Chinese.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @Justin L

Do you know if he is still in Baoding?

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No idea, but if he's still operating that badminton specialty store in Baoding, hs hometown, then I guess so as he has to make a living, I think.

By the way, Baoding city is in Hebei province, not Bebei, my typo error, apologies.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Looks like he’s joined HK team presumably as a sparring partner and coach.

swsh, CLELY, Fidget and 2 others like this.