2014 Yonex GERMAN Open GPG - Qualification to FINAL (25th February-2nd March 2014)

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2014' started by CLELY, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

How did Arvind Bhat do it ?! Incredible, what a victory !

2. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

at the start of this tournament the thought of an Indian winning the title never crossed my mind, let alone Arvind Bhat.! Indian men single's team was never this strong this before... Congrats... Bravo

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think HKV's lower back could be troubling him after he aggravated it in G2. But,still, take nothing away from Arvind's remarkable run to ultimate triumph.

4. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

i guess i'd have to say that this has got to be the (easiest) straight points-win in recent times. i've seen it happen before but NOT during end of the game, and not in the 3rd game, and def not in the finals of a major event. bravo, arvind bhat.
    ps: whoa, he's like 34yrs old? he held his ground all though the week. respect!

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [TABLE="class: ruler matches"]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD="align: right"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Arvind Bhat[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Hans-Kristian Vittinghus [12][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]24-22 19-21 21-11[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

What a match !!!.. Turned out to be a thriller ... Fortunately, Arvind pulls it.. But i am wondering now, how come he suddenly became this much good.. He is 11th player in india... But after seeing his game, i think he should be no.1 in india.. He has all the ingredients.. Let's see, how he does in upcoming tournaments..

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah shame about the back injury, HKV looked like he was just hanging in there for the last game you could tell by his block defense and recovery from shots. Before that it was shaping up to be a great 3rd with the momentum over to HKV.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I was wondering the same about our mixed pair. Maybe something to do with conditions or shuttles.

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Congratulations to all the podium finishers today.. Great week for Arvind bhat and Robert/Imogen . They won GPG title as unseeded players here.

9. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

overall, it was a very fun week with some thrilling matches, even with the absence of top seeds. now that's what i call entertainment!

10. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    can see that hkv wasnt moving after 3rd set change side... arvind should have won it in 2set !!!

11. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Congratulations to Arvind Bhat and all the other champions!

12. SigH-Max

SigH-Max Regular Member

On 4 out of 5 matches, the lower ranked player(s) won :eek:

13. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Vittinghus kept attacking without many variations or other weapons to get himself out of trouble. Maybe that was the tactic given by his coach. Reminds me of the match between Kevin Cordon and Chen Long. Hope he'll improve.

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Correct sis, contrast with JPN shuttlers who claimed 3 titles and happy moment for Takahashi sisters, Ayaka & Sayaka ;)

The most surprising for me is Arvind Bhat, what a superb performance in this GPG, to beat some seeded players including HKV in final last night and crowned as the champion.

Congrats to all winners :)

15. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Totally agree... both players lack the variations of shots in their games, and Bhat was lucky to get away with the win. Had his opponent was a LCW/CL/DPY/Tommy/JoJ (with superb defense), Bhat would need few oxygen tanks to carry him out.

Anyway, I don't think both players would reach QF in AE this week... boleh? :eek:

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

Bhat was lucky to get away with the win - Have you watched his matches in german open.. He is unseeded player ranked 89 and with age 34.. He played brilliantly thrashing malaysian player Daren Liew who is much younger to him and won Hu Yun as well as Victor Axelsen and also seeded chinese taipei player. You are comparing his matches to World No.1 and 2 , 3 and 4!!!. Any justification...??. Lol.. What a comparison !!!.

Anyway, I don't think both players would reach QF in AE this week... boleh? -

How?? Arvind bhat is not at all playing All England.. boleh??? :DLol. Daren Liew is participating in All England and he is going to play qualifying matches. Let's see whether he come out of qualifiers where he is about to meet wei nan and Lee Dong keun etc before entering main rounds.. He is much higher ranked than Arvind bhat and he has age in his hands. Boleh !!!!??

17. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

yes Sis. I never expected Arvind Bhat to win the title here. He is 34, and he had an amazing run at the GO 2014! RB/IM were also superb throughout this tournament. IM came out superior with her perfect net play, she totally outplayed Kim at the net yesterday.

18. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Relax bro... why so heat up? I am not siding any player/country but based on my own experience/knowledge about the game (not just a keyboard warrior). I don't think DL is good either, in fact, he is not a SS player so to speak.

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    No Problem dude.. Just reacted.. Due to IBL, every player in india is trying to work hard . No wonder Arvind won this GPG. He is trying hard to get auctioned for any of the franchise for a good amount i guess.. Because he is the second player from india to win a GPG title outside india after K.Srikanth. He is going to participate in Malaysia Open GPG next month . Who knows?? He may also pull a good victory even in malaysia...:).

20. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    Arvind Bhat must be one of the oldest players to win a badminton tournament and I take off my hat to him. He is almost 35 years of age (DoB 7/6/1979) and that calls for discipline to stay fit, compete and win.
    Congratulations, Arvind.