Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. faaiz

faaiz Regular Member

assistant manager
    Did anyone know what time LCW play againts Du Peng Yu today?got any live on astro supersport?

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    1st game start at 2pm india time, datuklee is 5th game...

cannot say for sure what time will he play

3. faaiz

faaiz Regular Member

assistant manager
    Tq for the info, thats mean 1st game will start at 4.30pm malaysian time right..will try find live streaming :D

4. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

[h=2]Chong Wei tames Chen Long for Indian Open title[/h]
    KUALA LUMPUR: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei further cemented his status as the king of the Superseries when he nailed his third Indian Open men’s singles title in style.
    Yesterday, the 31-year-old Chong Wei showed impressive resilience to beat Chen Long of China 21-13, 21-17 in a 55-minute final that depicted top class badminton from both players.
    The New Delhi win put Chong Wei’s record one up on Chen Long, having beaten the latter nine times in their 17 big clashes.
    It was also the Malaysian’s third Superseries title this year after pocketing the Malaysian Open (January) and All-England (March). He only missed one after losing to Chen Long in the final of the Korean Open in January.

Three-time All-England champion Chong Wei was delighted to beat his closest rival Chen Long for the second time this year.
    “I defeated him at the All-England last month and now I got the better of him again after overcoming a tough fight. I am happy with this victory,” said Chong Wei, who was also the Indian Open winner in 2011 and 2013.
    Yesterday, Chong Wei got off to a brilliant start to take a 7-1 lead to spark a great promise of victory. It however, did not take too long before Chen Long charged back into the game with his strong and powerful smashes but Chong Wei kept his cool to take the opener.
    The second game was nail-biting with Chong Wei and Chen Long locking horns from the start but the Malaysian pulled off excellent drop shots and terrific pick-ups to outfox the latter to romp home for a win.
    “I am thankful for the overwhelming support from my friends and Indian fans here,” said Chong Wei after his win, to cheers from his passionate badminton followers.
    “I will be competing in the Singapore Open next (starting on Wednesday) and I will be out to add one more title to my collection,” said Chong Wei.
    Chen Long is skipping the Singapore Open and, in his absence, second seed Kenichi Tago of Japan and China’s Du Pengyu will be the main challengers.

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Courtesy of The Star :

Chong Wei to play on until 2016

by rajes paul
    [​IMG]Lee Chong Wei has decided to play on until the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, instead of retiring at the end of this year. – AFP Photo

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian badminton fans can jump for joy as world No. 1 men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei has decided to play on until the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.

Three factors have helped him arrive at this decision – advice from Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin, the fact that he is still winning tournaments, and there is no other shuttler ready to assume the mantle.

“Our Sports Minister is very supportive of me and has asked me to persevere until the 2016 Olympic Games. I digested what he said and I gave him my word to keep on playing,” said Chong Wei, who met Khairy before last week’s Indian Open.

“This year, I will focus on the majors (Thomas Cup Finals, Commonwealth Games, World Championships and Asian Games). I will try my best to maintain my form and hang on for another two years,” he said.

At the start of this year, Chong Wei threw a damper when he said that he was considering quitting by the end of the year, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family.

The Malaysian, who has been world No. 1 for more than five years now, has not shown any signs of slowing down.

On Sunday, he proved that he can still be relied on when he beat Chen Long of China 21-13, 21-17 in the men’s singles final of the Indian Open in New Delhi.

It was his third Indian Open title (he also won in 2011 and 2013) and third Superseries title this year, having won the Malaysian Open in January and the All-England in March. The home title was the 10th in his career and the All-England was his third.

“I am taking the whole atmosphere differently now. I am enjoying myself more. In India, I read Chen Long’s game easily and played quite well to counter his movements. It has given me confidence,” he said.

Chong Wei will be out to add one more Superseries trophy to his collection when he competes in the Singapore Open, which begins Wednesday.

“It has been some time since I last competed in the Singapore Open. I last played there in 2008 when I won the title ... it feels good to be back after many years,” he said.

Chong Wei is the only Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) player featuring in the Singapore Open. The top seed will take on 28-year-old China-born Wei Nan of Hong Kong in the opening round on Wednesday.

The other seeded players in the tournament are Kenichi Tago of Japan (2nd), Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia (3rd), Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand (4th), Du Pengyu of China (5th), Son Wan-ho of South Korea (6th), Nguyen Tien Minh of Vietnam (7th) and Kento Momota of Japan (8th).

Six Malaysian independent shuttlers will try their luck from the qualifying tournament on Tuesday. They are former world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli, 2012 national champion Misbun Ramdan Misbun, Tan Chun Seang, Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, Kuan Beng Hong and Chiang Jiann Shiarng.

The Star : Read here

#9865 nokh88, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

LCW's game has suddenly in the past half year been elevated to another level, with deceptive hold shots, net play and his still unmatchable dive defence. At both All England and India Open against CL in the finals, this was very much evident, moving and stretching CL beyond his limit.

With this new confidence, he may even have more than 50% chance of taking down LD when he returns.

#9866 visor, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  7. Deity

Deity Regular Member

[MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION] would you say that he became so much better because of CL? I think CL played a huge part or role in LCW's level of play today. Losing to CL multiple times in a row definitely made him more dedicated and clearly, it made him so much better.

I agree that he will have a better chance of winning against LD. If they ever face again lol.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, I think CL definitely "helped" him focus more on playing smarter, more persistent in moving his opponent in building up an advantage in a rally before putting it away with a killer smash. Thinking about it, LCW got more points from CL hitting out on clears and lifts than from smashes.

9. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

I'd say it's the other way around, Chen Long hasn't been playing aggressively the last two meetings with LCW. When he does play more aggressive shots, he tends to take LCW down with some tremendously angled smashes.
    But saying that, LCW has also evidently upped his game since Korea Open, probably started to peak again in performance. Better aggression from LCW at the moment against CL.

What i've seen is that CL hasn't been able to play aggressively, but i'm not sure if this is the result of LCW playing smarter, CL dipping in performance thus making him unable to, or CL just not really picking the right game plan.

All in all, i'm still glad to see these two play, the scores from the last two matches don't even come close to reflecting the actual intensity of the points they play. Their rallies are almost twice as long as any other matches out there. Reminds me a lot about LD v LCW matches when you think one's about to lose a point, and one excellently placed shot evens that point back out.

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

CL and LD are two different type of players... CL lacks the agility on court (may be due to high height), and that's why he has had some difficulties retrieving some trick shots from LCW.... having said that, LD is from another planet, his movements on court is as fast and agile as Usain Bolt :eek::p

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Usain bolt is a gigantic athlete not like Lee chong wei.. He is short and very lean. I wonder what he will intake as his food. He is very light and very fast thinker on court which makes him to produce very economical and safe shots which impinges pressure at the opponents.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

LCW is actually decidedly quicker, and has been since ~2011...that said, I dont think Usain Bolt is really agile.

13. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Currently Lee Chong Wei is at Singapore OUE Open 2014. Without Chen Long and Hou TianWei . Chong Wei confirm win this tournament.

14. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-

I tot hou tianwei is playing ? Whether or not lcw will win for sure.

15. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Is there a concern that he peaks too early for the upcoming big tournaments (eg: Commonwealth Games, World Championships and Asian Games)? ;)

16. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    hoping for lin dan's return for worldchampionship! too give lcw a good run for it .

17. colingsk

colingsk Regular Member

Director, Strategy & Operations
    Hope he paces himself and cut down some SS tournaments. target is still the world championships and asian games. the rest is secondary especially team events. one man army is not going to win the team events.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    is LCW contractually obliged to enter in all Yonex-sponsored events?

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    We might see him at the Thomas Cup in May 2014.

Why should he forgo events that he stands to win rather easily?

No, he is not.
    But the contract requires him to enter a certain minimum number of tournaments.
    It also requires him to make himself available for promotional marketing events.

20. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-