Selecting matches for the TV Court

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by pcll99, Apr 4, 2014.

1. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    Do you think they have any other choice? Seven out of ten matches in the SFs involved Chinese players. And of course they would choose to broadcast Lee CW's match. That would make WD, XD, MD and MS. Instead of broadcasting the last discipline, which is WS, they chose to broadcast MS again. Well, a match involved one Chinese player is still better than an all-Chinese match right?

2. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

China vs China is not even at issue here. That's a topic requiring its own thread.

Posts #6 and #14 made sensible suggestions on making better match selections. None of the suggestions involved China vs China.

At issue here is that the over-zealous effort in excluding Chinese players from the TV court led to lower quality matches being shown, to the detriment of the sport of badminton.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Since when did a walkover be regarded as a higher quality match?

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    At the semi-final of the recent All England, court No. 2 had 4 matches and was all CHN vs CHN. Court No. 1 had 6 matches with 2 matches involving Chinese players. As is usual and expected, there was at least one WO at the CHN vs CHN court.

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...A247C0-51DE-4A7E-A3A6-EED7607702D3&d=20140308

This above arrangement IMO is fair and reasonable. India could have followed All England's example.

But I guess at the end of the day, it depends on:

(1) whether there is penalty on the organizer if the event is overrun and how much the penalty is; and

(2) secondly, whether there will be continous local TV station's coverage in the event of extensive overrun.

If there is no penalty and the local TV station will continue the broadcast if there is overrun, then putting all the CHN vs CHN in the non TV court is a good idea.

#24 pcll99, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  5. nic_25

nic_25 Regular Member

Student
    Hi! I am a new member here and I am very interested in this topic. IMO the organizers tend to prioritize MD and MS compared to other disciplines to be put in the tv court. WD and WS would be the last priority. That's the trend I have observed from the beginning of this year till now.

6. RedShuttle

Again, no China vs China match was suggested for the TV Court in the two posts mentioned.

The fact is that not only China vs China matches were not shown, higher quality matches involved Chinese players on just one side were also passed over, in favour of lower quality matches not involving any Chinese players. For specific example, please refer to Posts #6 and #14.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Conventional wisdom has it that CHN vs CHN has higher probability of WO and is less likely to have a 3rd game.

There is however exception. That was yesterday: WSX vs WYH.

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/match.aspx?id=1E628FF0-F6D8-42D6-9C25-6A3446AB0037&match=213

Referees and organizers need to exercise independent judgement with realism and pragmatism based on their experience and common sense. They should had realised that WSX vs WYH was likely to be a no-holds-barred fight.

#27 pcll99, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  8. RedShuttle

Not sure how many times I have to say "China vs China" was not suggested and is not at issue here.

I give up.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I agree with you. I edited my post subsequent to your post. Sorry. Please read.

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I am really worried about the players involved. Though chinese players are hard working and very well organised in training, they are the real victims of some of the higher order of certain personals. If they are allowed to play their natural game with their full potential irrespective of their opponents (compatriots or opponents from different countries), then there would not be any discussion here and i would have been one of the biggest fan of china . But because of certain negative practices which very much reduces the attractiveness of the game and pushes away even the strongest badminton fan from them. This tension did not start all of a sudden. It accumulated day by day and it came to this level where every country wants to make their decisions accordingly.

11. nic_25

nic_25 Regular Member

Student
    I agree with you but without the presence of chinese players the quality of badminton would be lowered. Matches involving chinese players are usually more interesting and competitive.

12. laonong

laonong Regular Member

It's not WC or Olympic semifinal. It's only SS.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I don't see a problem.

There were 4 matches with china vs non china. Two of those got on the TV court.

2 got on the TV court. Seems alright to me.

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    So..?? . What do you want to say?? These decisions won't stop unless 'walkovers' are stopped and completely eliminated.. Otherwise, BWF will come up with some other decisions to tackle this. This is what going to happen.. Just speaking up here or :crying: here won't help. Only when these practices are eliminated, everything will come to normal.

15. nic_25

nic_25 Regular Member

Student
    It is difficult for BWF to interfere with the negative practices of CBA but at least a match involving China with another country would still be enjoyable to watch.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Some CHN vs CHN can be worth watching, eg WSX vs WYH last night.

Some CHN vs CHN are a waste of time, like Walk Over and those which last less than 30 minutes.

Referee could have make a prediction as to which will be worth watching and which will not, based on previous H2H, world rankings and common sense.

Yesterday, we missed WSX vs WYH because the referee didn't use his independent judgement.

17. nic_25

nic_25 Regular Member

Student
    IMO there are two reasons for WSX vs WYH match to be excluded from tv court:

1. Organizers prefer to put MS matches instead of WS
    2. Organizers want to include more variation of countries in the tv court

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    It would be fabulous if we had a member or someone connected to the organizing team or BWF.

Where is Rudy?

19. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    The thing is they almost always include at least one match from each discipline in the TV broadcast - it's clear that this time they didn't just because both the WS SFs were all-Chinese affairs, which is disgusting. And this time they didn't have to worry about walkovers either, as both the WS matches were one after the other - China is brazen, but they're not going to have two walkovers in a row.

As it turns out, the 1st WS was a one-sided affair contrary to my prediction, but the second WS may have made for good viewing but we were cheated out of the opportunity by the idiotic organizers.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

In fact, it would be good to refer to previous tournaments for validation of all disciplines being shown on TV court in semi-finals. I haven't been tracking the exact order (and can't do so at the moment as I am only on a smart phone) of all the super series tournaments.

I definitely think the Indian Open could have run 6 matches on the TV court and 4 on the other court. It doesnt matter if there was no TV time for the additional last match - that match wouldn't get shown because of being on court 2.