Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

congratulation to LCW!

He finally is given the mercy by BWF to have the best chance of winning a WC! LD will not be given the wild card to WC!

Good effort by LCW (off court)!!!

2. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Now i know why LCW welcome LD's return this time, coz he knew LD will not be in the WC anyway....

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    LCW's adversaries must be fuming.Read here BWF is getiing smarter. They don't want another controversy.

#9903 nokh88, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  4. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

When the wild card becomes a controversy? only when LD got the wild card and LCW fuming...

why LCW fumed? just becoz this lowers his own chance of winning!!! how selfish and hyprocritic....

No one gave a shot when Malaysia got 5 wild cards in one WC in the past...

is this called fairness?

badminton is really an amateur sport and worth withering and dying...

#9904 Jonc108, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What the hell are you on....as if Nadal wouldnt have cried if Federer had done the same (not play for a year, then come back without qualifying and completely focus on just that one tournament)....
    Also, this time it's not about LCW at all. It's more about LD and his apparent unwillingness to qualify, as it really seems he couldve done it on his own power. Him not being able to play earlier due to internal conflict in team CHN is just an assumption, and a weak one at that (why would he be allowed to play now, and not earlier?).

6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    If LD is given a wildcard, Happy people : CHN fans and LD himself of course.Unhappy people : Fans of all other players and all those players who thinks they have a better chance to win without LD.Don't say it is a hollow victory if the defending champion is not competing. LD didn't ( or want to) play enough tournaments for him to qualify and it's not the other players' fault....and his fans want him to be given a place through the back door. Who the hell he thinks he is. There are rules.Spain as the World Cup defending champion has to play through the qualifying rounds too.

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

That is not true. The defending champion of world cup is automatically qualified.A badminton WC without the greatest player is a debased one. LD and LCW acheived such a mastery that they bring something special to the tournament, not the reverse.

8. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

the field of badminton sports are full of selfish and shortsighted ppls. no wonder the sport will always remains as backyard sports and never be prosperous worldwide...

9. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

what about giving a wild card to Peter Gade? will LCW also call it unfair?

10. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

when Malaysia was given 5 wild cards in a WC, did LCW cried it unfair?

11. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

it is fine if LCW just say, "I don't like LD being given the wildcard to WC, coz it will affect my chance of winning." this is called honesty.

yet he says "I don't want LD be given the wildcard to WC, coz it is unfair to all players.". This is called hypocrite.

12. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

if he really thinks giving a wild card to someone is unfair, he should object the wild card system and ask BWF to delete the wild card system, and not just pin-point the wild card to LD. another evidence of hyprocrite.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Omg would you stop spamming about that one comment of his nearly a year ago?
    The issue is that the wild card system was introduced to give younger players (mostly from the home country) and those that didnt qualify because of issue like a long injury or sth. a chance to play.
    You act like LD has the right to play, whereas he had every opportunity to qualify regularly, and chose not to do it.
    Now, personally I think the WChamps would be more interesting if he participated, but honestly I dont believe he deserves a second wild card. One was good, but with him opting to take another hiatus I believe he should sit this one out as he is not the center of the Universe and shouldnt get THAT much special treatment.
    Also, LCW only made one comment about it not being fair, almost a year ago.....get over it.
    Of course he likely had the slightly selfish motivation of wanting an easier tournament, but thats human.

14. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    LOl... Jonc18, you seems throwing anger at LCW...

The fact that, Lin Dan did not play for so long and not qualify for WC, is his own fault.

Lin Dan is pending BWF mercy for wild card and did not get it, beggar cant choose or can they ?

Further to that, BWF did not put a rules that defending champ will automatically qualify.

Dont get me wrong, i would like to see LCW vs Lin Dan but its not LCW fault that lin dan didn't qualify.

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Great posts.The BC upgrading is making posting difficult for me.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Jonc, do you even know why the wild card system exists?

It's to give the lower ranked players from the host country to have a chance to play. Get it? *Host* country.

So this time, the only ones to potentially qualify for a wild card are Danish players. Not LD.

LD by his own choice chose not to compete in the past 6-9 months. So to give him a wild card this time in Denmark would be utterly disrespectful of other players who continued to compete, not just LCW.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I believe its also to give players a chance when they were prevented from qualifying by an injury, at least thats the way it is done herr in Germany (also when you couldnt compete for other reasons such as work- or study-related time abroad).

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

No, you're wrong.
    There are toe different types of wild cards, one for the host and other for the bwf to award.

the host can award themselves wild cards for the events none of their players qualified. Denmark, of course has players eligible for all 5 events thus no wild cards for them.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

A wild card simply means an athlete or team who is selected to compete in a tournament from among those who didn't qualify by meeting the regular requirements. Fairness doesn't come into play. In this case, it's up to BWF to issue it to whoever they wish and I'm very disappointed they didn't award it to Lin Dan, the defending champion, for the WC to determine the best of the best; thereby we can say, in a sense, that Lin Dan the titleholder is deprived of his right to defend his title, his long hiatus notwithstanding.Just as LYB used to say to his MS charges that whoever wins a tournament without LCW participating in it doesn't count as far as he, LYB, is concerned, I'd say likewise, whoever wins this WC'14 in the absence of Lin Dan, doesn't count for very much, imho. In other words, it's not so much Lin Dan's loss for not being able to compete but more the WC'14 that suffers for its diminished status, prestige and value, not to mention the negative effect on the sponsors and organizers. Let's look at the big picture.I agree, this WC'14 is not all about Lin Dan who happens to be the titleholder but it's much more about the eventual winner being crowned world champion after taking on all comers, so to speak, and beating the best of the lot including the defending champion, no less.

20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Justin, I like your point of looking at the bigger picture.

Yes, i do agree that it is WC14 lost if Lin dan cannot play, but looking at a Bigger picture than your bigger picture, this send the right message across the badminton community, a player no matter how good, must support the growth of badminton, not just during WC but also other BWF events all year round. where is lin dan all these months ? by not giving him that WILD CARD, it might make lin dan to compete more BWF tournaments, thus its a future gain for BWF & Fans alike.

Please look at the biggest pix !