Thomas Cup - Malaysia Team

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2014' started by soulpx, Mar 18, 2014.

1. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    on the second trial, GSH win over Ramdan 21-19, 21-15. but still some people prefer the Misbun jr. i feel for him, won twice but still cant gain people trust. btw, Khairy had a good laugh at bam's semi final target here

2. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Sidek please move over... your time has passed.

3. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    [h=2]Soon Huat claims Thomas Cup spot with Ramdan victory[/h]BY RAJES APUL

[​IMG]Goh Soon Huat makes the Malaysia Thomas Cup squad after beating Misbun Ramdan Misbun in a closed selection trial on Tuesday at Juara Stadium. - Filepic

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Email
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [TD]

[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: gig-button-td"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Facebook
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [TD]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

KUALA LUMPUR: Determination has landed national men’s singles back-up shuttler Goh Soon Huat a place in the Thomas Cup squad for the first time.
    The 24-year-old played a more aggressive game to beat former national champion Misbun Ramdan Misbun 21-19, 21-15 in the Thomas Cup selection trials - held for the second time - at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara on Tuesday.
    With his win, Soon Huat has now proven twice that he is the best player to represent the country as the fourth-ranked men’s singles player for the Finals in New Delhi from May 18-25.
    He will join three others - world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, Chong Wei Feng and Daren Liew.

Soon Huat also emerged tops in the first selection trials held last month, where he beat former internationals Mohd Arif Abdul Latif and Tan Chun Seang. However, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) had decided to hold the second selection trials to accommodate Ramdan and former world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli who were ill at the time.
    Soon Huat was happy to come through the selection process again.
    “I will not be the sparring player again in the Finals,” quipped Soon Huat, who had accompanied the team to the last Finals in Wuhan in 2012 as a sparring player.
    “It was not an easy match against Ramdan. I changed my style of play and was more aggressive in my approach and I guess it worked for me,” he said.
    In January this year, Soon Huat had lost narrowly to Ramdan in the qualifying tournament of the Malaysian Open at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil. And naturally, a neck-and-neck battle was expected this time around, but Soon Huat tore Ramdan apart and crushed the latter’s dream of becoming the next one from his famous Sidek family to play in the team event.
    Ramdan’s father Misbun and four uncles Rashid, Jalani, Razif and Rahman had represented Malaysia at various Thomas Cup Finals before.
    Although Soon Huat’s position will be as a reserve on the team, he has promised to be ready to play.
    “I will not take my place on the team for granted. I hope to be ready to play at any time. Anything can happen in the team event and I need to be on my toes,” he said.
    “I remember, two years ago, Chong Wei was injured and the reserve had to step in.”
    In Wuhan, Chong Wei hurt his ankle against Peter Gade Christensen in a group tie against Denmark but Malaysia went on to beat the Danes 3-2 to enter the quarter-finals.
    Without Chong Wei against China in the quarter-finals, Malaysia fielded Daren, Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Wei Feng but were whitewashed 3-0.
    Meanwhile, national coach Hendrawan said that Soon Huat’s name would be submitted to BAM for endorsement at their meeting on Saturday

4. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

the 4th MS single is settled, now the remaining 10th member which for MD...

5. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

(Spoilers) Confirmed List:Singles:Lee Chong WeiChong Wei FengLiew DarenGoh Soon HuatDoubles:Hoon Thien HowTan Wee KiongGoh V ShemLim Khim WahTan Boon HeongChan Peng Soon

6. SibugiChai

YAB
    Players pick Daren as Thomas Cup captainBY RAJES PAULNational no.3 singles shuttler Liew Daren, seen here training at Juara Stadium on Monday, has been picked as the Thomas Cup team captain. National no.3 singles shuttler Liew Daren, seen here training at Juara Stadium on Monday, has been picked as the Thomas Cup team captain. EmailFacebook0KUALA LUMPUR: Surprise, surprise!The team captain for the Thomas Cup Finals is not world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei but Liew Daren.The selection of the team captain was made by all the men’s team members after checking into centralised training camp on Monday.Others in the team are Chong Wei Feng, Goh Soon Huat, Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong, Lim Khim Wah-Goh V Shem, Tan Boon Heong and Chan Peng Soon. The Thomas Cup Finals will be held in New Delhi from May 18-25.As for the Uber Cup Finals, doubles shuttler Amelia Anscelly has been named the team captain.Although surprised, the 27-year-old Daren hopes to play his part – as the team captain and the third singles – to the best of his ability.“I was surprised by the team’s choice but, I guess, it was also Chong Wei’s way of encouraging me to take up this role. I’ll do my best to support the team and facilitate communication between coaches and players,” said Daren.This will be Daren’s second Thomas Cup Finals but one that could make – or break – his badminton career.If the tie goes all the way to the decider, the weight of the nation will be on Daren’s shoulder to deliver the goods. Since winning the French Open title in 2012, Daren’s form has been inconsistent, no thanks to a series of injuries.“I’m in better shape now,” said Daren, referring to his nagging hamstring injury.“Today, we had a gym session in the morning and three hours of tough training on court in the afternoon. It was tough but good. It will help me prepare for the Finals,” said Daren at the Juara Stadium.Malaysia are in Group C with South Korea, Germany and host India.Of all the third singles players from all the top countries, Daren has a good record against everyone expect for China. He has not beaten any players from China and has yet to play against South Korea’s Hwang Jang-soo.He has beaten Indonesia’s Simon Santoso, Japan’s Takuma Euda, Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen and India’s R.M.V. Gurusaidutt.“I have narrowed down all my possible opponents and will analyse their games. My first Finals in Wuhan two years ago gave me a lot of experience. I will be ready,” said Daren.Daren, who was the second singles player at Wuhan in 2012, was forced to play as the first singles against Lin Dan of China in a quarter-final tie in the absence of an injured Chong Wei. Malaysia lost 3-0 to China

7. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

My Prediction for MAS team line up in group play:

vs India:

MS1 - Lee Chong Wei
    MD1 - Hoon Thien How/Tan Wee Kiong
    MS2 - Chong Wei Feng
    MD2 - Tan Boon Heong/Chan Peng Soon
    MS3 - Goh Soon Huat

vs Germany:

MS1 - Lee Chong Wei
    MD1 - Goh V Shem/Lim Khim Wah
    MS2 - Liew Daren
    MD2 - Hoon Thien How/Tan Boon Heong
    MS3 - Goh Soon Huat

vs Korea:

MS1 - Lee Chong Wei
    MD1 - Hoon Thien How/Tan Wee Kiong
    MS2 - Chong Wei Feng
    MD2 - Goh V Shem/Lim Khim Wah
    MS3 - Liew Daren

8. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    I though need to follow seeding??? how can md1 and md2 be swapped ? whoever is higher rank must play as md1

9. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    How did Daren Liew get selected to be captain...

10. SibugiChai

YAB
    Boon Heong aims to smash backBy AJITPAL SINGH |OLD TIMER: Doubles ace eyes fifth Thomas Cup appearence FALLEN hero Tan Boon Heong once formed a formidable partnership with Koo Kien Keat but those glory days are gone as the Kedah-born is not a sure starter in his fifth Thomas Cup in New Delhi on May 18-25.Boon Heong and Kien Keat made headlines when they won the Doha Asian Games gold and the All England but the expectations and pressure to perform over the years affected the former World No 1 doubles.The BA of Malaysia (BAM) eventually lost patience and grounded them from tournaments before they were split and tried out with other players in February. Kien Keat subsequently left the national team to pursue a professional career in the Thai league.Boon Heong was tried out with Ow Yao Han in the Malaysian Open GP Gold, India Open and Singapore Open but they did not shine. BAM will decide on Boon Heong’s new partner after the Thomas Cup.There are talks in the training camp that Boon Heong could renew his partnership with Hoon Thien How. They first grabbed attention by winning the world junior title a decade ago. Thien How and partner Tan Wee Kiong are Malaysia’s top ranked pair at World No 7.Boon Heong, 27, is also sparring regularly with Goh V Shem, who forms the country’s No 2 doubles with Lim Khim Wah in the Thomas Cup.It is learnt that the national coaches are grooming Boon Heong and V Shem behind closed doors as they do not have the confidence in Khim Wah in the doubles game.“I have been preparing for the Thomas Cup for a long time as I worked hard in training when Kien Keat and I were barred from tournaments.“I do not want to disclose anything but I have been tested with most of the doubles players in the team,” said Boon Heong at Juara Stadium yesterday.“The Thomas Cup is nothing new as I’ve played in four previous editions. I have advised my teammates during the ongoing camp to focus on their game, not get worried about their opponents.”Boon Heong made his Thomas Cup debut eight years ago in Tokyo but did not play any match. He helped the team reach the semi-final in 2008 (Jakarta) and 2010 (Kuala Lumpur). In Wuhan two years ago, Malaysian exited in the quarter-finals.“I am not the main player this time but it is okay. It does not bother my preparations for the event. I have also been advising and supporting others in the team because they are also feeling some pressure,” said Boon Heong.When asked whether he hoped to play in New Delhi, Boon Heong said: “If I am giving the chance, I will do my best to earn a point.”*World No 1 Lee Chong Wei could be carrying an injury as he was limping after the training sessions at Juara Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.Chong Wei was seen touching his left thigh on the way to the team bus after the three-hour training session. Despite efforts from the media to interview him, he only smiled and left the scene.Despite the media filling the request forms for interview (as required by BAM), Chong Wei was not available. The BAM should make it mandatory for the country’s most decorated shuttler to face the media at least once a week to promote the sport.Tan Boon Heong (right) shares a light moment with Tey Seu Bock (left) as Rashid Sidek looks on.Read more: Boon Heong aims to smash back - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/boon-heong-aims-to-smash-back-1.590339#ixzz317gkBkx2

#50 SibugiChai, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  11. SibugiChai

YAB
    Wei Feng: Count on me to deliverBY TAN MING WAINational singles shuttler Chong Wei Feng (left) who pulled out of the Malaysian Open GP Gold final in March, is expected to deliver in the second singles during the Thomas Cup in India next week.National singles shuttler Chong Wei Feng (left) who pulled out of the Malaysian Open GP Gold final in March, is expected to deliver in the second singles during the Thomas Cup in India next week. EmailFacebook16PETALING JAYA: National No. 2 Chong Wei Feng is relishing the challenge of playing a key role as Malaysia’s second singles shuttler when the Thomas Cup Finals gets under way in New Delhi from May 18-25.The 26-year-old joined the team two years ago at the last edition in Wuhan but was limited to a reserve role. Wei Feng was then the country’s fourth-ranked player behind Lee Chong Wei, Liew Daren and Muhd Hafiz Hashim.Then, he did not feature in the group matches but played the third singles against Chen Jin in the quarter-final clash with eventual champions China, following Chong Wei’s injury in the last group match against Denmark.Malaysia lost 3-0 to China.In New Delhi, Wei Feng is set to be handed a daunting task as the second singles, which is the crucial third match of a tie. It could potentially seal a victory should Malaysia be leading 2-0, while it could also help stage a fightback if they are trailing by a similar scoreline.It is a heavy responsibility that Wei Feng is well aware of.“This Thomas Cup is massive for me, I’m ready for the challenge and I’d like to make it count,” said the world No. 27.“Although I had made the team in Wuhan two years ago, I was merely a reserve player.“This time, things will be different as I know I’ll certainly be playing and I am expected to deliver a point from the second singles.”Wei Feng, who was a China Open semi-finalist last year, said things are getting better for him since his disastrous performance at last year’s Myanmar SEA Games. He was the top seed for the regional Games but fell at the first hurdle to A. Suppanyu of Thailand.Wei Feng also endured a frustrating start this year, being ousted in the first round of three of the five tournaments he competed in – the Malaysian Open, Korean Open and Indian Open.His best outing this year was at the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold in Johor in March, where he went as far as the semi-finals before conceding a walkover due to injury.Despite dropping from No. 14 to No. 27 in the world rankings, Wei Feng insists his confidence has improved ahead of the Thomas Cup.“I didn’t have a good start, but things have improved in recent months. I’ll just have to keep it going and remain positive,” he added.“I certainly hope to do well in New Delhi, and play my part to help the team go as far as possible. Hopefully we’ll achieve the semi-final target set by BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia).”Other players in the singles department are world No. 1 Chong Wei, Daren and debutant Goh Soon Huat.Malaysia are in Group C with South Korea, Germany and India

12. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Tan boon heong will partner Tan wee ikon in INA Open and How with au Yao Han

13. sen

sen Regular Member

In Japan Open, Tan Boon Heong partnered Goh V Shem. Lim KW with Ow Yao Han.

So which pair will play in Thomas Cup ?

14. forest

forest Regular Member

Engineer
    I think for Thomas Cup Team Event, the best option should be MD1 : LKW/GVSMD2: TBH/TWK or TBH/HTHIf BAM want a pair that has a chance to win World championship or Olympic gold, most likely this pair TBH/GVS has some hope...

15. SibugiChai

YAB
    TBH & GWS should be the strongest pair...

16. BadSupport

BadSupport Regular Member

How about CPS? :D

17. forest

forest Regular Member

Engineer
    I think bring in CPS is mainly for psychology reason. The MD coaches are trying to tell the MD players" one of the player with the worst service is with you now ! You better serve properly (especially LKW) during tournament, dun let him laugh at you ! "

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Both LKW and CPS can't serve. Watch CPS's XD matches. He is always service high leaving his partner to defend smashes from both opponents, male and female.That's why the winning margin in these matches are very close. Same with LKW's matches.

19. forest

forest Regular Member

Engineer
    Hahaha ! These two players can form a pair ! They have been playing together before and won the Thailand Open ! It's will very intresting to see they paly together, which one is the worst service !

20. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

first day against the host India, will MAS team survive the host hordes...?!!