Thomas Cup - Malaysia Team

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2014' started by soulpx, Mar 18, 2014.

1. SE1992

SE1992 Regular Member

There is no other way, we have to support our own team and our own country. The argument that I'd rather my team lose the single most major tournament final the first time they enter such final in 12 years and learn their lessons make no sense at all. It's just like saying I'd rather my son fail his most important exams, so that he'll learn his lesson to work harder the next time.
    I'm 100% behind Malaysia.

2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I totally agree with your analogy. We can only use the counterargument as a source of comfort after Malaysia has actually lost, not use it before.

3. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Yeah I know what you mean. Especially when the while team is "satu jenis" only...

But I hope we win.... so they can take trophy, shove up to their faces (especially that fella who is a convert) and say "Now, what else do YOU want?"

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Flite post touches on BAM mismanagement of badminton for all these years, I don't think MAS fans would disagree and that those BAM idiots should have been sacked long time ago.

But it is not the fault of the players for the current state of MAS badminton, players only play, idiot managers manage or mismanage, and even more stupid politicians appointed these idiot managers to run/screw up BAM royally and paying them bigtime for the failures.

You asked 'Can we be wise for just one time BAM!!'? Are you serious? Then I have a patch of Canadian tundra to sell you or the Americans have swaplands in Florida waiting for you.

TC final does not come by easily, who knows when will MAS gets this opportunity again? Could be a very long time to come. Whether MAS players were tested or beginners luck to get into the final, power to them, call it fate and destiny, the players do tell the Danish/Korean coaches who to field in MD2.

I am always on the side of the underdogs in MAS team, besides LCW and you can include TBH, the rest of the players have not won anything of significance despite investing their youth playing for MAS, and they could retire with not much to live on. These players' paycheck is pittance, playing baddy is their job and livelihood, they have a family to feed.

As for MAS government rewarding them millionaires, again not the fault of the players. Blame the government and just as equally stupid MAS rakyat for keep voting them in. You deserve the government you voted for.

One team will win 2014 TC, I hope MAS win and these players get the paychecks they need. I have this tendency that when I say 1 particular team wins, the opposite will happen. For tonight's final, I do agree with you that 'I am yearning for the Japanese to be crowned champion' and 'truly deserve to be the champion of this TC edition'. Go Jap go...

#144 OneToughBirdie, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  5. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    as a badminton fans, i would like to see Japan win because of the hard work they did in defeating china and also signify a rise of a new badminton nation.

However, as a Malaysian, i would like to see Malaysia win...

I predict 3-1 victory to malaysia, with Japan only point tru momoto

6. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Interesting you not predict 3-2 for MAS to win, then it will come down to Daren...LOL

7. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    I think luck was on Msia side when first doubles were playing. Ahsan/Setiawan didn't played their best... You would have called it a lucky save by TBH at the Indon match point but I think that is instinctive and not many can do that.

8. madcarrot2007

madcarrot2007 Regular Member

Yeah Ahsan Setiawan seemed playing under pressure and not to their best. TBH was a hero by saving that match point, really, he had not been performing that well, deserved to have my respects again. Hope tbh and koo could show the same amount of spirit on today final.
    Hate typing with iPad.

9. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    Guess it is a typo on your side... I know you meant Hoon and not Koo... Haha. TBH and Koo will never have a chance... :p

10. madcarrot2007

#150 madcarrot2007, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  11. madcarrot2007

LOL, they are history.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Sad but again, TBH and his partner's stamina (whether KKK or HTH) have let them down. They could have made the difference between MAS gold or silver.

They came out firing all cylinders to take G1, took a rest in G2, but were outlasted by Endo/Hayakawa in G3. They were sluggish, lack power, and I lost track of how many simple unforced errors came off Tan and How's rackets in G3. Endo/Hayakawa played smartly to conserve their energies and in the end prevailed over the Malaysians.

In my mind, this was the match that decided gold or silver.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A bit of placing into context is needed.

Did TBH/HTH over perform or under perform?

Could Malaysia have done any better with KKK or other alternatives ?

TBH/HTH got lucky with the between the leg's shot against indonesia - sometimes you need that in a game and they did a good job of closing out the game.

Remember, it's a scratch pairing against top 5 established opponents.

Just goes to show what might have happened if BAM had had the guts to split KKK/TBH earlier.

#153 Cheung, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    now that the dust has settled. time for some thoughts. posting it in the Malaysia thread coz this part is about Malaysia.

Over the years, there have been a lot of criticism on the team, mostly from fans within the country or from countrymen around the world, there are a lot passionate Malaysian fans in all parts of the world.

And these fans are not afraid to express their anger towards the team, you name it they probably got called, yo-yo, unstable, mentally weak, vomit blood, etc, etc. and in all honestly the way they play some times, they really do deserve it.

but this year, I think fans seems to be less angry. and honestly, from watching quite a few of the matches, the team has done much better. They beat Indonesia. Yes, with a bit of luck but sometimes you make your own luck. And in the final, they didn't win, but every one, including the 2 pair, and esp CWF and DL, they really did try. and fans can see that, even outsiders can see it. they didn't throw it away like they used to, DL fight his way back from one game deficit to just 4 points from the championship.

It could've swung either way, it just wasn't Malaysia's day.

No, they didn't bring back the cup, but this was a team that went out with passion and threw everything they had. No they are not perfect, whoever decides that they would leave so many baseline calls was just frustrating, but nobody can be perfect. what they did was they tried and people can see that. and that's what so different about this year's team.

and i think supporters, fans and countrymen should give them credit for that.

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yeah, it is not easy to have a clear mind and judge correctly during those moments.
    There were many instances in that final match that both players played shots that were out.

#155 nokh88, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Congratulations to Japan for joining the Thomas Cup winners club.

Congratulations too for the Malaysian Team for fighting tooth and nail and making the Japanese really earn the Cup.

Special mention goes to Daren Liew for working his best to turn the deficit around despite a really bad start. Didn't work out, but a heartwarming performance akin to LCW in World Championship Finals 2011/2013 and Olympic Final 2012. I haven't seen a similar fight since Malaysia turned a 0-2 deficit to beat Indonesia in the 1988 semifinal.

Before the final, I was certain that MS1 and MD2 was in the bag, and LCW and Goh/Tan did not disappoint. It was close in MD1, and those 2 points in game 3 are all the difference that tipped the tie in Japan's favour.

Two thumbs up!!!

17. victor_rs

victor_rs Regular Member

on paper japan win 3-2...so they make history...

good passion from malaysia team...

turning point malaysia win is from MD1....but tan and hoon seems follow opponent game in set2....

very good tactical from endo n partner...

3rd single liew darren late got his rythem...lost 1st set with own mistake...

this game 50-50...just on paper liew lost coz his performence last 2 game before compare takuma...

takuma less mistake...liew darren got point with his setup but also give easy point to takuma...

in the end result coming from good mental handle the game....

18. lasalleguy

lasalleguy Regular Member

wannabe player
    Team Malaysia did very well I think. Earlier in the year LCW said the team might be reach semi final. But they did more than that. Next cup we should be able to do better. Bravo Team Malaysia !!!