2014 Li Ning BWF Thomas & Uber Cups - Day 7 & 8 : FINALS (24th & 25th May 2014)

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2014' started by CLELY, May 23, 2014.

1. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    Great work, Japan. Looking forward to the future.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Suetyan, you must have wonderful memories of your high school days that you are now changed into a happy girl in school uniform.

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

One of the team that under-performed in this tourney, beside men CHN, is the women Thai team. It looks as they came unprepared.

4. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

haha, unfortunately I didn't, uncle Loh. :(

5. Zomania

Zomania Regular Member

Student
    Thailand definitely need better WD. For WS, I have a concern about RI, I think she has a lot of injury problems. Is it usual for the 19 years old?

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Ratchanok played in too many tournaments - she could well burn-out soon enough.

Even a young World Champ is just human.

7. DStyle

DStyle Regular Member

IT
    Indeed, she is too young and furthermore, she isn't winning much. She should train more and improve her games. She gets tired easily too.

8. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Against sensational saina nehwal in the UC RI was looking too tired..indeed she is a young prodigy but fails to put her talent completely in the match...but I must say thats limited to few players whenever she plays PV or Koreans or even Chinese (except WSX) she plays her best on top of her toes and wins very frequently!!

9. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Does anybody now why the new team rankings are not being updated...does the tc and UC changes ranking of individual player also??they are very slow must learn something from tennis and cricket ranking organisations.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Iirc, the individual players rankings are updated every Thursday.

I am not sure about the country's ranking updates but that is now based on the player's rankings.

That's a good idea to update a country's ranking frequently. But it doesn't affect much except for those team matches. For badminton fans, it would be good because we can have more discussions (or arguments) about which countries are top tier, second tier etc. !

11. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    RI and LXR's H2H: 2-5
    RI and WYH's H2H: 0-8
    RI and WSX's H2H: 1-6
    RI and SJY's H2H: 4-6
    RI and BYJ's H2H: 1-2

I don't know how you can translate that into playing her best and winning very frequently. She had an injury and had been struggling with her confidence since last year. She is young and inexperienced when it came to this so it's normal that she is not consistent. However, her inconsistency does not mean that she only performs well against "a few players". She is just struggling to get back her form.

The ranking is updated every Thursday. TUC do offer ranking points so the ranking of individual player might change.

#1491 doantram, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Lol... No again...:D

13. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    BAI gets a big pat from world badminton body

NEW DELHI: The Badminton World Federation (BWF) is pleased and satisfied with the professional manner in which India hosted its first Thomas and Uber Cups at the Siri Fort Sports Complex on May 18-25.

"First of all, we, together with the BAI, have been able to put up an extremely well staged event in many ways. The Thomas and Uber Cups have been several notches higher in terms of organisation if we compare it to the annual India Open Super Series," BWF secretary general Thomas Lund said.

BWF president Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen was also pleased with India's organising of the sport's biggest events.

"I am very satisfied with the way the Thomas and Uber Cups were hosted in India. It was very professional, not just the stadium but also the television coverage. It has lived up to our expectations," Hoyer said.

However, hosting an event of such magnitude also comes with its own sets of challenges and glitches. Poor crowd turnout, unstable and unreliable power and internet connectivity for the media were some of the problem areas which could have been addressed better during the week-long tournament.

But the BWF feels that the Badminton Association of India (BAI) did its best to overcome the challenges.

"Yes there were challenges. There were internet challenges that we struggled with over the week, and this was unfortunate. We had honestly wished there was more spectator interest, among other things. But we don't go to places where there are no challenges," added Dane Lund.

"There was a big effort from BAI to try and address some of these issues. They could not solve all of them, there were improvements. The evaluation shows there was honest commitment and best of effort."

But Lund, who is a two-time mixed doubles World Champion, said they need to come out of the challenges as there are a lot of positives to take away from the two tournaments.

"There are a lot of positives to take away. A lot of big steps were taken for the growth of the event. The venue layout, the look and feel, the prize presentations were really good. There was an enormous amount of media interest and coverage provided for badminton which is very important," said Lund, who is also the BWF chief operating officer.

"The television coverage and promotion that was provided by the Star Sports channels was really good. They promoted it beyond belief on four channels with near 24X7 coverage. The sprucing up of the venue took the event a couple of notches up from the Super Series, which was very nice."

The 45-year-old Lund said the positives should be taken from here and then incorporated in the Super Series and the Grand Prix Gold that India hosts annually.

"Take all the positives, improve on that and I am sure everyone will learn from that. So that the next event -- whether a Super Series or Grand Prix Gold -- will be taken to an even higher level which is something we are looking for. That is part of the legacy of this event," Lund said.

Source - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...world-badminton-body/articleshow/35727171.cms

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Haha. And why not? :D

Balanced news article on comments by Thomas Lund.

One wonders whether it would be better for the semifinals to be played on Saturday and both finals played on Sunday.

15. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    LOL, i agree!

16. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Lol..I wasn't knowing about RI vs WYH h2h....but that is absolutely shocking to see that she has lost many times to SJH guess I missed a few of them..whenever I saw RI playing against her she won.... But about PV it was correct....and nobody except PV has a good h2h record against top Chinese players...and RI is also not an exception..

17. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    LOL ... :D the tier system has now became a nightmare for you isn't??

18. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    New rankings.....good from Indian perspective...but TTY still ahead of SN :(

19. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    Deleted. I changed my mind.

#1499 doantram, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  20. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

But with final matches like this year's edition TC final, i wonder if 2 would be to much for everyone's heart and mind?