Yes or No: Lin Dan wild card for 2014 World Championships

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by pcll99, Mar 12, 2014.

?

Should BWF give a wildcard to Lin Dan for the 2014 World Championships

1. Yes: it will generate more media interest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No: once is enough

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. chimeranova

chimeranova Regular Member

Could be IMO. I even think that LYB thought long before us about the way he could (or not) make Lin Dan plays at the WC. Let's guess : Can Du Pengyu, Wang Zhengming or Tian Houwei possibly be world champions ? The best option for those players'd be a bronze medal. And LYB doesn't even care about bronze I think :) Today, only two chinese players can imagine beating LCW on a major event. Only two players can assure to LYB they'll be at their very best level at Copenhagen. And those players are Chen Long and Lin Dan, no doubt about that. For me it's clear : Chen Long and Lin Dan must play in WC2014.

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Even Chen long at the 2 major major events - world and Olympic championships has never been convincing.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Asian Games is the top priority for Lin Dan this year, not World Championship. For LCW, however, he has to play Thomas Cup in May, three super series in June, Commonwealth Games in July, WC in August, Asian Games in September, just to name a few.

4. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    In my opinion, LD will not appear in WC 2014. He had 5 WC titles already. He has nothing to prove there. LYB also doesn't have much incentive to put LD at the expense of the younger patients. BWF didn't want to give wild card to LD to help to promote the tournament. I don't think LYB would even care about this as the tournament is not held in China.

5. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

A World Championship isn't really a World Championship if the best players in the World aren't competing. To me it would make the title a bit meaningless if LD can't compete (but maybe he doesn't want to?).

6. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Absolutely, the incumbent world champion must automatically qualify for the world championships.

7. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    I find this question very dumb. Lin Dan doesn't need to prove if he is qualified considering or not. He already started winning tournaments ever after his long hibernation/sabbatical(?) which itself speaks volumes of his candidature... World Championships is about the best players competing for the best player's crown and you can't exclude the best player the sport has ever seen.... its a no brainer to me.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said,rahuldarga, I can't agree with you more. Let me click 'Like' to your post, many times if possible.

9. Dougie

Dougie Regular Member

Buyer
    As I have said before it is a dreadful by decision by BWF that stinks. Someone somewhere is desperate for LCW to win a WC before he retires. Everyone knows he has been very unlucky to play at the same time as LD & everyone knows that LD is by far the best player. BWF have devalued the competition by not letting LD take part. LD had proven already that he is at least worthy of a place....BUT DOES HE REALLY WANT A PLACE...the next generation of Chinese MS players have got to step up... So they send CL & THW, this places enormous pressure particularly on CL who after a less than impressive showing against KT at Thomas Cup must win. THW still progressing & its a case of possibly being a blocker or spoiler for CL...LYB has put faith in his 2 choices but i'm sure he would rather have LD competing..

10. kruntil

kruntil Regular Member

maybe bwf should invite roger federer as well.

maybe he can play badminton and can win WC title.

he's very good player. no doubt about it.

hahahahahahaha.

11. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    Funny, instead of relying on wild card. Lin Dan could have joined for 2014 wc, but he wasn't chosen by LYD. Since he had a chance to go, but at the end decision was not to join. What does it have to do with BWF? They have already granted one wild card to him? Does it mean that they need to give to him every year? Whereby other players have to play n work hard and support bwf superseries to qualify while , lin dan job is just to wait for wild card for his entries instead of playing for his ranking ....

12. Dougie

Dougie Regular Member

Buyer
    Simple question now....YES or NO answer....The fact that LD is not playing in WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS in Copenhagen, has this devalued the WC's......I honestly think LD now is no longer bothered. How many times does he have to prove he owns ALL the other Gents singles players. Simon Santoso humiliated LCW in a recent final. LD turns up after his long break & physically breaks SS.... Enough said....The boy is so far ahead mentally & physically its scary....The fact that he is back playing merely shows his love of the game & as badminton players we should all be happy in that fact.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Oh I see... so if LD humiliates SS, and SS destroyed LCW, then automatically that means LD is light years ahead of LCW...right? Makes perfect sense... :rolleyes:

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Very well put. One wild card I can understand.

LD had his chance for two separate years to qualify by the normal route. He knows the rules. His association chose not to enter him. BWF is under no pressure to give him a wild card.

If you really want to make sure that previous world champions get to defend their title, make it a rule, not a wild card. But the rule would also have to be across LS, LD, MD and MxD to be fair to players across the spectrum of the sport.

15. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

They should have made it a rule this year. Defending champion automatically gets qualification for the following year. I'd rather watch the defending champion defending his/her title than whoever is at #32 spot who has no chance at winning the title at all. And I agree that they should apply this for MS, MD, WS, WD, and XD.

FIFA only cancelled automatic qualification for the defending champion in 2006 because they thought 4 years was too long of a period for a football team to sustain their level of play - that a lot could happen in 4 years.

It was just last year than LD won, not 4 years ago. The worst part about the WC in Denmark is, whoever wins it will be considered 2nd best in the world. They should rename the tournament this year from "World Championship" to "World Championship Runner Up."

Nobody in the badminton world (aside from delusional die hard Malaysian fans if LCW wins) will believe the winner of this year's World Championship is really the "world champion." Fortunately, if the winner of this year's World Championship is Asian, he will be properly spanked by the "true" World Champion at the Asia games later this year.

BTW, I disagree with FIFA's change in 2006. The World Cup winner should get automatic qualification into the next World Cup.

#95 galaxyduo, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  16. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

If you are good enough to win the WC year after year, even if you don't play a single professional match the rest of the time, absolutely. Because if you can win the WC year after year despite not playing outside the WC, you are the true "World Champion".

As much as I feel for whoever the #64 entrant is and how hard they worked, #64 doesn't have the slightest chance to win the WC.

17. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    While I believe LD should be in the line up, but one cannot decline #64's opportunity participating, it may be his only chance playing in the WC. A rule or special exemption clause must be in place to avoid confusion.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    should we start the following poll this week?

Should BWF give a wildcard to Lee Chong Wei for the 2015 World Championships?