K. Srikanth क्. स्रिकनथ्

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Dec 1, 2012.

1. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I read someone posting saying he will jump from 9 to 6 in the ranking. Not sure though.

2. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I think they are talking about Destination Dubai rankings. Srikanth has already qualified for Super Series Finals in Dubai. But that's different from world ranking. He is currently #16. But he is sure to make a big jump ahead. Not sure where he will land though.

3. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    WR #10 most probably

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Forgotten he had that issue with the hsopitalisation. It's remarkable that he has been able to bounce back physically. Must be some good genetic material in there.

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    He will be playing in Malaysia's Kopiko League with Bangsar Hawks BC.

Read here.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    P.Gopichand said : "For srikanth, it was a big match and at the end ov it, he kept his nerves to earn the big win. Overall he has played some high level badminton throughout the tournament. He will not grow into a superstar overnight. He has to be smart and progress like he is now and that's the way it is".

"Well. First time he played lindan, he was overawed with the situation. Second time when he played, the amount of respect was still there. But now, Third time, he did it."

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Saina said about srikanth's victory :" I am extremely happy for srikanth. His victory was amazing. It turned out to be the historic moment for indian badminton."

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Source of statements?

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  10. PilotG2

PilotG2 New Member

Just can't imagine he won Lin Dan in 2 straight games in the China open man! Awesome player

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Kudos to SK

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...LS-(16th-November-2014)?p=2294353#post2294353

I thought I should copy my account of the final match between SK and LD at the recent Thaihot China Open SS Premier in this thread too as a credit to SK:

Kudos to SK
    I've watched the MS Final again on YouTube and am in no doubt that SK won the match most deservedly.

LD did not show any sign of knee injury. No sign of the slightest pain. He wasn't limping of course but was able to move about freely to retrieve even some of the most difficult shots from SK. In fact, LD's quick smashes caught SK a number of times. So LD was not thinking of losing the war.

But SK was equal to the task. His tight net play caused LD to make a number of unforced errors like hitting out and long or lifting slightly higher for SK to kill. The young SK was more focused and very strong physically, almost menacing to LD in his leopard-like fatigue, and he moved about the court as easily as LD, even faster.

However SK too made a number of unforced errors like smashing out along the sidelines in his eagerness to win a point. But he took his chances better than LD and caught the latter with his fast clears even to LD's forehand and forced weak high returns from LD for the kill.

The first game was pretty close with no more than two points separating the two, I think. At 19-all, SK challenged a baseline shot from LD which was called 'in' by the linejudge. Hawkeye reversed the verdict and SK was successful and given the point instead, 20-19. SK followed up with a body smash to take G1.

G2 started off about the same pattern. It was another ding-dong battle for the most part until the score reached about the 15-point mark when SK showed his urgency. LD seemed to slow down a bit and allowed SK to take the initiative and he duly obliged leading 17-16, 18-16, 19-16 and 20-16 before LD managed to salvage a point 17-20.

But SK was in attacking mode and finished the game and match off at 21-17 with a fast cross court drive in anticipation of LD's short lift.

It was clear that SK was in no mood to delay the close encounter any longer and walked away as the hero of the evening with a decisive victory over the Olympic and World Champion.

Kudos to the young Kid of India who just made badminton history in his own country by beating the world's best badminton player in a venue none other than in China.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Age of first major circuit title for comparison.

Lin Dan 19 years old
    Taufik 19 years old
    LCW 21 years old
    Peter Gade 22 years old

Intriguing prospect for the future :)

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    When I opened this thread for this youngster 2 years back, I had huge belief in his performance when he participated his first GPG tournament(Macau Open GPG 2012) and lost to much higher ranked player , chen yueken of china in the semifinals.

Day by day, his performance is going in the positive direction. Since his first GPG tournament, he passed 1.8 years and he has this SSP title. Hope he work even better and bring much more laurels to the country.

14. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Kudos to Srikanth for beating the legend.

Which lining racket is KS using ?

15. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Gopichand, the only other Indian to beat Lin Dan (In fact, Gopichand has positive head-to-head record against LD) gives his views on how KS managed it.
    He seems to be saying that - changing as soon as your opponent figures you out is the key.

http://indianexpress.com/article/sp...srikanth-tamed-the-giant-in-his-own-backyard/

exerpts:

“Anyone with a set game has no chance against Lin Dan. But Srikanth mixed it beautifully,” Gopi said admiringly.
    It would be naïve to think that Srikanth completely out-witted Lin Dan, but Gopi believes his ward could summon the answers as counters. “Lin Dan had figured out what he was trying, but Srikanth changed his game immediately, and that was great to see. That’s the only way to play him, and try and beat him,” he added.
    An overwrought mind would have faltered, but not Srikanth’s. “He’s a smart guy, he learns quickly, and has the shots to execute what he’s thinking clearly.”

_____
    This is consistent with LD's statement " I wasn't able to adjust my game"

16. sanyyz

sanyyz Regular Member

Engineer
    I think it is the Li-Ning Mega Power Turbocharging N9.

17. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Srikanth moved up 6 places and entered top 10. He is now Rank 10 exactly. Congrats.

18. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    GC and MF,commentators during China Open, were discussing about SK's target of reaching top 10 by Dec. They said that it was a bit ambitious on SK's part. Well, would they be surprised now?! He still has one and half more tournaments to go and who know's he might jump in to top 5 by the end of Dec??? I think he'll end at 5 if he wins Hong Kong Open.

19. sanyyz

sanyyz Regular Member

Engineer
    Against Chen long for HK SF. Should be interesting.

20. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Saw the match SK vs CL. Although I wanted Srikanth to win, I am not too disappointed. At least he took it to a decider. He played well in G1 and G2. The third game was a little strange and he made too many errors.
    But overall it's good that he took it to 3 games. He is 21. LCW only started winning SS titles at that age. And Indian players generally peak late. So KS has time.

I remember Morten Frost saying that he didn't like the way KS celebrated the G2 win. It was like Srikanth is satisfied by just taking a game. I think Srikanth got complacent. May be Sri is tired from so many matches as well.

But it's OK. He can come back stronger in Dubai. I hope all the best for Srikanth and Saina in the Dubai SSF.

Any comments from Srikanth and coaches?