BWF WORLD Superseries Finals : Day 5 (21st December 2014) - FINALS

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2014' started by CLELY, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Agree with that

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Since the Royal family is willing the support the SS Finals financially, BWF should do its part.

Logically, SS Finals should be the most important and prestigious event of all SS/SSP events. Awarding the same ranking points as other SSPs doesn't make any sense.

LD, LCW and LXR not being there (or don't really care) is very embarrassing to say the least. This much walkovers simply adds salt to the injury.

SS Finals 2015 is very crucial for players, coaches, BWF and referees. It is the last time everyone gets to experience the round robin format before Rio 2016. BWF cannot afford to screw up the round robin thing again!! If they do, IOC may kick badminton out of the Olympic family!!

#302 pcll99, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  3. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Remember that until Dubai took it, SS Finals had often been at risk of not being staged at all. That is hardly a sign of a prestigious event.

SS Finals is what it is, a big money commercial event. It is a bonus to players who attained elite level performance in the current season.

It is handicapped by the lack of representation as it is limited to 8 players/pairs in each event. So the limited participation is a two-edge sword.

It is also at the end of a gruelling season when most top players are tired and ailing. That was reflected in no shows and retirements. There was also the example in the past when a Thai player was obvious not fit to play but stepped on court anyway in order to collect the prize money.

I think SS Finals is a good idea and it looked well staged by Dubai. It is fine as is. There is no need to do anything different, except for streaming the final day and perhaps offering even bigger prizes.

4. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    If this is true then it settles all the dust around Dubai hosting three consecutive world SS finals in a row. I had already mentioned 'if not Dubai then who ?'.

With SS Final hosting issue settled for next two years, BWF can focus it's energy on other tournaments and other developmental activities.

Another point about live local audience at venue : Audience at any venue comprises of two sections; one of those who are already connected with the game and another section which will get connected after watching world class game and players.

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I do agree most of the points except the points you mentioned like its embarrassing without LD, Li xuerui and LCW. May be for the die hard fans of these players.

Your point of mentioning about these players, like they did not care much about SSFinals, is over exaggerrating I think. I take liberty to say that they alone won't make the whole world complete.

LCW is expecting his trial. Let's leave him now. And Lindan tried very hard to reach top 5 in the world rankings and just missed the opportunity. And Li xuerui though got selected ,due to injury she opted herself out. Definitely, If li xuerui have had not got injured, she would have participated for sure. And similar for lindan, he would have participated if he was one among the top 8.

I would have accepted your view if they had not participated in the past. Everybody you mentioned had participated previous years. If at all, they dont care about this SS FINALS, they would have had avoided playing it completely.

Bit over reacting perhaps !!!!

I accept your point that this tournament needed more ranking points. That's really a good suggestion.

#305 scorpion1, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

it's definitely true. Sometimes the confirmation of hosting was delayed to a point that the tournament would be delayed to January or not hosted.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

it's definitely true. Sometimes the confirmation of hosting was delayed to a point that the tournament would be delayed to January or not hosted.