Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    New GM is needed - the top guy doesn't have enough time to handle these operational issues.

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Fed-up Hui Lin quits BAM

BY RAJES PAUL

Ng Hui Lin (right) with her doubles partner Vivian Hoo in action at the Perak Open which they won in October. - Filepic
    Ng Hui Lin (right) with her doubles partner Vivian Hoo in action at the Perak Open which they won in October. - Filepic

KUALA LUMPUR: Frustrated women’s doubles player Ng Hui Lin has quit the national badminton team.

The 25-year-old handed her resignation letter to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) president Tengku Tan Sri Mahaleel Tengku Ariff on Sunday. She also sent copies of the letter to BAM general manager Kenny Goh, secretary Ng Chin Chai and competitions chairman Koay Ban Hing.

Hui Lin cited the BAM’s poor planning and lackadaisical attitude of their officials as her main reasons for quitting the team.

“It’s pointless to play badminton any more. Without proper planning in the national team, I can forget about qualifying for the Olympic (in Rio de Janeiro in 2016). There is nothing to look forward to,” said a dejected Hui Lin.

“I returned to the national team in July after completing my studies (in England). But there have been delays after delays in planning the future of the game in the country,” she added.

Hui Lin is also without a permanent partner. This year, she won the Perak Open with Vivian Hoo. She also reached the final of the Korean Open Grand Prix Gold with Vivian.

And there is also the question of her salary. She has been receiving a RM1,300 monthly salary instead of RM3,000 since July because the BAM failed to make the necessary changes.

Hui Lin said she was also frustrated with the BAM over several other administrative blunders.

“I am not disappointed with the coaches or the players, but the management. Just two weeks before the tournaments in Europe (France and Germany) this year, they informed all of us there was no budget and we had to pull out.

“No budget? The BAM registered our names earlier and we were earmarked to compete in the tournaments. It is just poor planning.

“The people at the BAM just do not care. The coaches and the officials from the NSC (National Sports Council) and NSI (National Sports Institute) care, but they do not have the power to do anything. Now, it’s people who do not know much about badminton who are calling all the shots. How is badminton in the country going to move forward?”

Hui Lin hoped that her decision to speak up would bring changes and benefits to the others in the national team.

“I believe that I am speaking on behalf of many of my team-mates here. They are not too happy, but they are afraid to speak up.

“I do not mind being the ‘bad guy’ because I think someone needs to bring out these problems in the open. I hope the BAM will change for the good of the sport in Malaysia,” added Hui Lin, who is now looking for a non-badminton related job.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2014/12/28/Fed-up-Hui-Lin-quits-BAM/

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Anybody want to stay on the sinking ship?

BAM-Please-be-patient-with-us/

Reminds me of the constant changes to secondary school education in Malaysia.

#2123 Cheung, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  4. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

stay out of politics and possible corruptions then it can be saved... or else it just an imagination for all...

5. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

More like "abandon ship"... latest person (possibly) doing so.... Thien How.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/01/04/Now-Thien-How-contemplates-quitting-BAM/

6. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

it is better BAM to total disperse and all go independent, that's all...

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/01/05/BAM-president-hits-back-at-criticism/

Interesting article - quite a few holes in Tengku Ariff's statement.

Those costs of food, accomodation, court time and training and sending players to tournaments are part of the company's expenses. I guess it has become relatively more expensive as BAM has been losing sponsorship money! I disagree that it should viewed by the players as income for the player.

I take his point that players are allowed to negotiate private sponsorships.

Still, RM1,300/Month doesn't go far these days - put it relative to the cost of accomodation and university fees that Ng Hui Lin paid for over three years in the UK.

Then, the Ng sisters also played in the European circuits keeping up their ranking during their studies. Did BAM pay for those tournaments, transport costs and accomodation?

RM 1,300 per month is not a high return on investment for an education from a well established UK university.

8. koowakchai

koowakchai Regular Member

BAM junior programme to suffer after more coaches walk out the door

With the junior development programme being the backbone of Malaysian badminton, the matter is likely to be debated at BAM’s council meeting, which will be held in Kuching during the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold next week.

While BAM are said to be looking to cut costs, it comes as a surprise that the bulk of the 30-strong council members will be flown to Kuching – on an all-expense paid trip!

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...unior-programme-to-suffer-after-coaches-exit/

9. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

finally the day of BAM's downfall has arrived...

10. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

Too many politics from the management side, sadly this seems to be the case in Malaysia nowdays. Everywhere people are playing politics from the gov to sporting bodies. It's not the lacking of talent that kills Malaysia's badminton scene but more to the politics game inside BAM :mad:

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    its okay so long the sponsorship money keeps pouring in :D

there is no escape for politics here, its our culture and its everywhere

but when the funds stops, things get really bad and its affecting the whole set up until the state level.

12. SibugiChai

YAB
    Will Boon Heong walk away as well?

BY KNG ZHENG GUAN

Tan Boon Heong's partner Hoon Thien How has left the BAM set up. Will Boon Heong (centre) follow suit?
    Tan Boon Heong's partner Hoon Thien How has left the BAM set up. Will Boon Heong (centre) follow suit?

GENTING HIGHLANDS: Two more shuttlers have quit. And speculation is rife that one more is about to leave the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

Hoon Thien How, who won the 2004 world junior title with current partner Tan Boon Heong, and Lim Khim Wah, who won the Malaysian Open with Goh V Shem last year, resigned from the national set-up on Wednesday.

The BAM, still reeling from the setback, suffered another blow with rumours that former world No. 1 men’s doubles player Boon Heong is likely to quit the national team as well.

Several shuttlers, including the likes of Ng Hui Lin, Ng Hui Ern (women’s doubles), Yang Li Lian (women’s singles) and Ong Jian Guo (mixed doubles) have quit the national team in the last few months.

So, is there any truth in the rumours about Boon Heong?

The left-handed Kedahan, who is also understood to be unhappy with the BAM, was guarded in his reply.

“Right now, I’m just training as normal. There are no immediate plans. I was supposed to go to the All-England and Swiss Open with Thien How next month but now he has resigned ...,” said Boon Heong.

“Then, there is the Olympic qualifying which begins soon but it’s actually not a big deal for me.

“I’ve competed in the Olympics ... twice, and maybe it’s a good chance to let others have a go at it.

“As for losing my partner, I don’t have much to say. Everything I’ve requested from the BAM in the past were not granted anyway.”

Boon Heong, who is in Genting Highlands for the Kopiko Purple League Champions Challenge with Kepong BC, said that he respected Thien How’s decision to quit BAM.

“I’ve known of Thien How’s decision to leave since last year. As a partner, he told me about it and I respect his decision,” said Boon Heong.

“I don’t think it’s surprising, though. We all know why he wanted to leave and the reasons why players are unhappy.

“It’s probably got to a point where he just wasn’t enjoying playing badminton anymore.

“Since he had already gone public once, it was only natural for him to walk the talk.

“As former partners and team-mates for so many years, I wish Thien How and Khim Wah all the best ... hopefully, they’ll do well on their own.”

Thien How and Khim Wah’s departure leaves the men’s doubles department acutely short of players, with Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong being the only established pair.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/02/06/Speculation-rife-Boon-Heong-to-quit/

13. SibugiChai

YAB
    Doubles exit will be a huge loss for Malaysian badminton

BY KNG ZHENG GUAN

Lim Khim Wah (left) and Hoon Thien How (right) have tendered their resignation from BAM on Wednesday despite the mulled increment in players' allowance.
    Lim Khim Wah (left) and Hoon Thien How (right) have tendered their resignation from BAM on Wednesday despite the mulled increment in players' allowance.

GENTING HIGHLANDS: Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) deputy president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria admitted that the resignation of Hoon Thien How and Lim Khim Wah will be a huge loss to the national team.

The 28-year-old Thien How, who was world junior champion with Tan Boon Heong in 2004, and the 25-year-old Khim Wah, who won the Malaysian Open with Goh V Shem last year, tendered their resignation letters on Wednesday.

This was despite the BAM announcing on Tuesday that there will be a 50%-100% increment in the players’ allowance.

Norza, although disappointed with the players’ decision to walk out, believes that BAM could do nothing to stop players from leaving.

“It’s definitely a big loss to BAM ... especially since we’ve just came out with the new monthly allowance scheme and had hope to retain the players,” said Norza.

“Unfortunately, the resignation letters from Thien How and Khim Wah came after that. I suppose they have plans for their future and we can’t stop them.”

Norza is also worried about rumours that “more players are unhappy and are ready to walk out”.

“It’s definitely worrying ... it’s one of the issues that we faced. A lot of it also had to do with the timing and planning ... with Morten Frost only arriving in March,” he said.

“We tried to bring Morten in earlier but he had other commitments and March was the earliest, so that created a lot of uncertainty among the players.

“I understand that some of the players may feel that they do not fit into the current structure and that is why they decided to leave.

“But I told them to be patient and to stay on if they still have the drive and passion to represent the country.”

However, the door is not closed to players who have quit the national team. Norza says that former national players are always welcome to represent the country at major events.

There are two major team events lined up this year – Sudirman Cup in May and SEA Games in June.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/02/06/Doubles-exit-a-huge-loss-to-national-set-up/

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Well, after criticising the players and justifying BAM's current salary to players, why bother increasing player's salaries?

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/02/04/BAM-increase-players-allowance-across-the-board/

Not that difficult to make yourself look stupid.

15. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

This is a sad scene in BAM or generally Malaysia's sporting scene at the moment. Most federations are focus on paying big bonuses to their CEOs instead of focusing on players & coaches. To them sports are a way to generate huge bucks.

16. SibugiChai

YAB
    Ex-BAM players could be the ‘doubles’ solution

BY RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Former internationals Mak Hee Chun-Tan Bin Shen are set to ease Malaysia’s woes in the men’s doubles department.

There is a shortage of quality players in the national team following the decision of two senior players - Hoon Thien How and Lim Khim Wah - to quit last week.

Based on Hee Chun-Bin Shen’s current form, the pair may be the perfect replacement as the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) get down to form a solid team for two major tournaments - the Sudirman Cup in China in May and Singapore SEA Games in June.

The duo have been invited to attend the BAM trials. The BAM have yet to announce the dates for the trials.

With either Hee Chun or Bin Shen in the team, Malaysia will be able to mount a reasonably strong assault in the two tournaments.

After all, Hee Chun-Bin Shen did well to emerge as national champions in December. They also played key roles for Muar BC in the Kopiko Purple League. They helped Muar BC become inaugural champions on Feb 1 and runners-up in the league’s Champions Challenge on Sunday.

If Hee Chun makes the cut, he could be reunited with his former world junior partner Teo Kok Siang. Together, the duo had lifted the world junior title in 2008.

Hee Chun could also be paired with Tan Boon Heong.

The 25-year-old Hee Chun said he would love to don national colours again.

“I will give my best during the trials. It has been some time since I represented Malaysia in a major tournament,” said Hee Chun, whose last national assignment was at the 2011 SEA Games in Indonesia.

“I left the BAM after the SEA Games. Since then, I have been playing independently with different partners. Somehow I have managed to keep my career afloat. If the BAM call me up, I will surely give it a go again.

“I have played with Kok Siang before but I have not been paired with Boon Heong. With more practice, I can play with anyone,” said Hee Chun.

Hee Chun added that he was happy that the Kopiko Purple League had given the non-BAM players a platform to stay on their toes.

“It has been a great two months for me. The league kept us going and helped us to sustain our form,” said Hee Chun.
    http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/02/09/ExBAM-players-could-be-the-doubles-solution/

17. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

15 years from year 2000 till today, all MAS players failed to reach QF in All England 2015 edition...

18. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

better get use to this.. there won't be any kind of malaysian representation for any super series level tournaments from quarterfinals and up from now on... at least for the next 5 years...

heck.. maybe even gp gold events too..

we have now reached the heights of mediocrity

19. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    Please shout "MALAYSIA BOLEH"!!! for the darkest era in Malaysia badminton.

20. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology