Pros Pro badminton clamp can't hold/sever yonex bg66 ultimax

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by biborinho, Jan 8, 2015.

1. biborinho

biborinho Regular Member

Hey, i bought an used Premium Stringer 3600 stringing machine. It comes with this Pros Pro badminton clamps:
    http://www.pros-pro.com/default.aspx?ArtNr=10865

I tried my first string job with a Yonex BG66 Ultimax. But that clamps cant hold it. When i set the clamp harder the string sever. I tried it very accurate. No chance to do a string job above 22lb.
    I dont have a thicker string to test it. Did you have ever similar Problems with Yonex bg66? Or it is just this clamp? Does the universal clamp will do this job:http://www.pros-pro.com/default.aspx?ArtNr=10893?

I like to string up to 28lb :/

#1 biborinho, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. LemonInside

LemonInside Regular Member

Network Engineer
    I've got the universal clamps and they hold ZyMax 65 (0.65mm). I don't have BG66 to try, but I'd imagine it would work.
    I used to other clamps for tennis.

3. biborinho

biborinho Regular Member

At which tension?

4. LemonInside

LemonInside Regular Member

Network Engineer
    28lbs as well.

5. biborinho

biborinho Regular Member

ty :) I will order the universal clamp

6. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

I have their universal clamp, and it worked fine. I regularly do jobs between 26 to 33 lbs with it, and it's ok.

I recommend you to test its grip before you actually start you stringing job with it.

7. biborinho

biborinho Regular Member

What do you take to clean the clamps if they dont grip?

8. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

I never had that issue, so I don't have a great answer. If it's just dirty or oily at the grip locations, I would start with alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) rubs, and then acetone.

If yours really don't grip well, I would recommend you to understand why it's not gripping first, such as is it just the dust (dirty), or oil, or alignment, or mechanical issue, or ....? after that, fix it.

9. biborinho

biborinho Regular Member

Ah sorry, i understand you wrong. I cleaned MY clamps before i tested it. Only with a teeth brusher and a cloth, but i believe dirt is not the Problem anymore?

I wonder when I see [MENTION=8430]DinkAlot[/MENTION] using this clamps at 41lb:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ocw-ckoQvE
    Maybe my clamps are too old? :(

10. biborinho

biborinho Regular Member

If someone is searching for clamps, i ordered 3 different Types of ProsPro and tested them. I only make a few test on the mains, cause i dont have a racket free for a real test. So i can not actually say how well they fit for the crosses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. The red flying clamp
    http://www.pros-pro.com/default.aspx?ArtNr=11212
    This is the best of these three. It holds my BG66 very well up to 17kg/37.5lb. I dont test higher tension. I string one racket at 22/24lb, also the crosses, so i can say they are pretty well. I worked with the yonex clamp in the past, i dont have one yonex clamp here, but in my mind the quality is very similar.

2. The blue flying clamp
    http://www.pros-pro.com/default.aspx?ArtNr=894
    The picture of the official homepage is wrong. This clamp is blue how you can see on my picture. This clamp holds the main also up to 17kg/37.5lb, but the quality is much lower. I have 4 pieces of it & 3 of them have a little space beetween one & or two teeth. Definitly invest 4€ more and buy the first one.

3. the fixed clamp
    http://www.pros-pro.com/default.aspx?ArtNr=1417
    This one dont really work for badminton. I only have bg66 and no chance to hold the string above 22lb or the damage on the string is pretty heavy.

11. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

It is possible that there is a sharp metal piece that wasn't well finished by the pros pro people, if it cuts into your string. Do a visual inspection for that possibility. Have you e-mailed pros pro?

12. biborinho

biborinho Regular Member

No sharp metal piece. The surface is rough, but before it cuts the string, there is a huge pressure mark at the string. The clamps are old/used, so i have no warranty, but i will definitly ask them.

13. hardcore

hardcore New Member

Pros Pro badminton clamp cant hold/sever yonex bg66 ultimax

Mine always line up perfectly the first time. Much, much better than the Pros Pro ones they replaced.

14. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Have a pair of Pro's Pro as well and they are absolutely useless. They slip if not tightened enough and cut the string when I tighten them enough to hold high tensions.

The surface of the grippers are not like the higher end fixed clamps, just very poorly done textured surface. I tried filing back the sharp bits but now they just slip......

I suppose that's why you ended up buying it second hand...? Seller probably had those same problems. By the way, anyone interested in a pair of Pro's Pro fixed clamps, I have a pair for sale.... LOL

15. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    I appear to have a similar issue with NBG98. One clamp can go up to 30 lbs, the other refuses to go near 28lbs. It is when you close the clamp that you can hear a small crinching sound. Not sure if this can be called a defect but I am careful not to use it. It can handle NBG99 at 31lbs no problem at all.