Mathias Boe Is A Sore Loser

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Normal, Dec 20, 2014.

1. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Of course, LYD.

2. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

Very well said. :)

I appreciate your writings and reasoning, however, I could only agree with your first paragraph as quoted above.

As regards particular style of service applied by LYD during the match, I believe this shall subject to the evaluation from the technical officials from BWF. If I remember correctly, the BWF reserves the right to prohibit service style that does not comply with the prevailing Badminton's rules - for instance, the Sidek's service from the 80s.

I stand my ground on the basis of consideration that such on/off-court behaviors should not be left unpunished, and we should all learn how to treat anyone with politeness, respect and courtesy within this sport.

Last but not least, I am of the understanding that this thread was created due to the concern of gross violation against the Player's Code of Conduct.

Any other discussed matter hereunder, such as LYD's service, or, denial of objection raised by the Boe/Moe, or, the effect of disappointment due to the uncalled service fault, etc, are ancillary. These would not distract my attention to the above concern.

IMO.

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    In all pro sports, everyone tries to gain the most advantage by stretching the limit but not breaking the rule. I agree LYD did that. And sure Bo/Mo did that also. Whether his serve should be banned should come from BWF after the tournament, not Bo/Mo during the match. For example, they could not say that LYD came up with a new trick shot that they never saw before, and it should be not allowed.

4. FeatherBlaster

As stated before, I think it's impossible to see from these tv feeds.

LYDs general serve is OK. I think it's the "mishits" that are being questioned, where the ball suddenly spins differently.

Can you ban that? Im not sure. Neither am I sure it should be. It might be the case that LYD hits his serve close to the frame, to force these occasional mishits and make his serve flight unpredictable.

But it can't be banned the same way the Sidek serves were.

Hawkeye could be extended to spot double hits, I think that's the only possible way to do something about it. But that would take a lot of time to get implemented and tested.

Of course the referees could also start calling faults when he hits the most oddly spinning ones of them.

But it would require a lot of more thorough investigation before the referees should adoubt such a line IMHO.

5. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

He should not be allowed to talk to the service judge. I mean, in most cases, the umpire will allow the player to ask the service judge quickly what fault he got called on but any more of that is considered attempting to influence the service judging which is a violation of the rules. The player is not allowed to go towards the service judge without the umpire's permission because who knows what the player is saying to the service judge.

Such as in my incident when I had a player approach me and basically did what Boe did (just more persistently) and kept complaining how the opponent's serves and also cussed at me twice. It's basically an attempt to intimidate/influence the service judge. And as a service judge in that case, I cannot pull out any cards, I can tell the umpire, but the umpire doesn't hear it, they can't do much.

The player did eventually get a yellow card for persistently complaining but that was it.

6. FeatherBlaster

To be fair, at the 24 minute mark, Boe approaches the umpire, not the service judge. He looks at the service judge, then turn around and makes his argument with the umpire.
    Moe takes a couple of steps towards the service judge, then (correctly) gets called over by the umpire.

They don't talk to the service jugde in this incident, only to the umpire.

7. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Just like to clear a point regarding the Sidek serve. They learn it from someone and that someone learn it while in China. They did however use it in an international tournament.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I agree with Featherblaster.

A) there is the action that Boe took. I entirely support an investigation by BWF.

B) Should he be banned for it? There will be personal opinions by individual forum members to varying degrees. I haven't given an opinion preferring to wait for the next step by BWF. However, I do agree it goes against the player's code of conduct.

C) I also agree with Featherblaster that the current scenario (which is Boe's action and remarks to the service judge post match) should not be extrapolated to Danish players in general.

D) I do not agree that the nationalities of the BWF admin officials are involved unless there is more definitive evidence of it. If there is, then hopefully, can those forum members can provide links to support their statements?

9. jctai

jctai Regular Member

I have always liked Danish badminton players when I started following badminton. Danish players are outspoken, funny, hungry for the win, ya' know.. being human. Which provides a degree of entertainment on court and I enjoyed it.

I humbly wish to share an experience of mine during the Malaysia Open Superseries in 2013:
    I was shooting some matches of Malaysia Open Superseries in 2013 for my own hobby.
    It was in the early rounds, there's a match between Malaysia's CPS/GLY and Juhl/Kolding.
    Half way thru the match, the Danes were frustrated with multiple line judges' rulings.
    Kolding snapped and refused to carry on and CPS was gesturing "forget it, let's carry on".
    Kolding brought the shuttle to the net seemingly want to pass it to CPS, as CPS reach for the shuttle, Kolding throw the shuttle straight to the floor and walked away.
    And the crowd went crazy as you can imagine.

JC2_0750.jpg
    JC2_0752.jpg
    Kolding claiming he can see better.

What Kolding did was disrespectful (it's not even CPS's fault), period.
    Boe took it to a whole new level when he said what he said to the Sri Lanka service judge and as a fan of badminton I simply could not accept it. If LYD's serve adhere to all existing rule for serving, I honestly cannot see any reason for service judge to say it's illegal. He is just following the book, what else can he do?

Just so you guys know I'm not trying to generalize all Denmark players, I love Vittinghus as a fan and I wish all players took a chapter or two from his book. But I really want BWF to do something to minimize actions that are tarnishing the gentlemen/women game of badminton. A ban, a fine, a warning(meh), a consultation session, I don't care. Call me idealist or whatever, but a game between gentlemen/women is the most enjoyable.

Everything above are just my personal opinion, feel free to take it or leave it.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think what needs to be avoided is over-generalisation. Each incident should be viewed independently as behaviour by an individual, not by a nation.

11. YumCimil

YumCimil Regular Member

Absolutely. And it's also important to remember that Mogensen had nothing to do with it. Anecdotal accounts I've heard suggest that Mogensen's a pretty good guy, and that Boe... isn't.

12. Apache249

Apache249 Regular Member

Student
    You clearly haven't watched enough games featuring the pair.

13. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    There is no 'I' in team. You play together, you're both responsible for each other's actions. I wouldn't let my partner have some childish tantrum on court as it will make me look bad as well. Infact, I try to slap some reason in him and tell him to shut up, behave, keep quit and chill out. If you're acting like a giant d-bag, you've already lost the mental aspect of a match. As a matter of fact, that's clearly evident with Boe and Mogensen everytime they are having these ridiculous antics. They were world nr. 1 for a reason with their talent, technique and hard work. Right now it's a disgrace how they behave themselves and unfortunately I can't see them anymore as world's nr. 1, but already dislike them before they even hit their first shuttle.

Another problem in my opinion, is that there is a (cultural?) difference between umpires. The behaviour of Boe/Mogensen shouldn't be allowed and the umpire should immediately stamp his authority. Badminton players from western nations are much more outgoing, emotional and extravert on court. They aren't afraid to go into a discussion with the umpire. Certain type of players can clash between certain type of umpires (but hey; that's human). From what I've seen, most of the western umpires aren't having any of the crazy antics and normally 'rule' the match with an iron fist. I remember watching the match from Sandra Maria Jensen against Akane Yamaguchi (video) during the Denmark Open 2014 qualification; Sandra was ill mannered, but fortunately the umpire warned her big time! This is such a contrast to another match I watched (can't remember the exact details), where the player(s?) was giving a yellow card from the umpire for taking too long between the rallies. The umpire gave the yellow card, but also apologized to the player for giving it to him. Gillian Clark was commentating that match and even she thought it was insane that the umpire was apologising! Umpires are the voice of reason during a match, but shouldn't be afraid of stepping up and penalizing a player for inappropiate behaviour. By penalize, I don't immediately mean a card, but a strict word can be enough. I've seen Boe/Mogensen getting away with things that were just totally out of this world and how will they stop this behaviour if they aren't getting penalized for it? Don't get me wrong, I applaud all court officials for taking their time and effort during all those matches and I can imagine it's a pretty though job to do.

14. ah_lim

ah_lim Regular Member

Understand the spirit of competitive and strong desire to win displayed by Boe but he should know he has crossed the line. Sports is not just about winning, learning to conduct oneself gracefully when face with defeat shows bravery and sportsmanship spirit. I cannot believe what I just heard on the youtube video, that at was a deeply racist and derogatory remark.

15. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Do you think he'll apologize!!?? Will it happen again?? Let's us all wait and see.

16. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Spot on......you have notice it too.

17. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

Lol who wouldn't be mad if the serve is tumbling........
    I understand that he showed frustration during the match but insulting the judge after the match was just.....too far

18. ah_lim

ah_lim Regular Member

What upset me more is when I Google "Boe Denmark BWF" it return zilch. BWF silence mean consent. :(

19. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    As a pro, if LYD or any other does a tumble serve, counter it!! After all, the shuttle will return back to head first. 34 years when I first experience the inverted serve - now commonly call the S serve (which by the way did not originate from the Sidek's), it took me several attempts to counter it. But it was done. Nobody bitch about it (complaining about the serve), we just did what as a player is expected to do - play on.

Just this Sunday, I did the same tumbling serve and my opponent did'nt complain about it and just play on. When the Chinese Team use the inverted serve back in 1982 during the Thomas Cup, you don't see the Indonesian bitching about it in court, they just play on.

What does it tell us? What have we learn from it? What will this current fiasco lead too?

20. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    It just means it's irrelevant to the rest of the world - including BWF head honchos. If you google "Boe BWF racist comments" this thread comes up, not much else related to the incident.

The petition that some of us signed just went no where.