Using pronation and slicing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bimetallica, Jan 23, 2015.

1. bimetallica

bimetallica Regular Member

Hi, recently I started using a bit of pronation with wrist flexing to generate power and it was successful. However, when I tried using pure pronation I could not hit the ball without slicing.

I tried using pure pronation as the professional players appeared to use it in the slow motion replays, such as Lee Yong Dae and Yoo Yeon Seong.

Are there any tips as to get rid of the slicing?

2. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

do you have the correct grip ?angle the racket with your grip, usually I angle the racket at impact about 45 degrees to produce slice shots.

3. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I think he is trying to get rid of the slicing. You need to start with a basic grip, but make sure you grip the racket loosely with a gap between the palm and the racket and then you need to change the grip by 10 degrees so that you have the forehand grip, this along with the right technique from supination to pronation will mean you minimise slice as much as possible and thus generate more power.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Hi.

How about your elbow during shuttle impact to the follow through? Straight or bent?

5. bimetallica

Elbow straightens out to almost full extension and then bends back during follow through.

6. bimetallica

Also, I would like to know if during the backswing do you cock your wrist back or do you keep it neutral, relying completely on forearm. I slice more often when I cock my wrist back before hitting.

In one of LCW's smash videos, the video writes 'wrist locked' during the backswing and the foreswing of LCW's smash, and i'm not sure what they mean by that.

Source : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3UXF6nSpAU (1:00)

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Of course in order to pronate into the smash, you must windup beforehand with supination ie wrist cock. You can't have one effectively without the other.

The problem initially is the timing is difficult to get right. Do it with less speed and power first, then gradually increase as you get better.

8. bimetallica

I'm referring to wrist cocking, not supination.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

yes, there's some degree of ulnar deviation and wrist flexion in a smash, so you'll need the opposite movements in the windup preparation, ie wrist cock

and again, the same method applies, start with less power and speed, then gradually increase when your timing improves, ie no slicing

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Forehand stroke

Fore arm pronation (elbow to wrist) should be unlikely to cause much or any slicing. Elbow pointing 'generally' forward) at shuttle strike point.

Upper arm + fore arm pronation (shoulder to wrist) very likely to cause slicing. Elbow will be pointing very clearly to the side (2-3 o'clock, right handed) at shuttle strike point.

Hope this is relevant to what u need

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Just a quick note: players who try to apply techniques as seen in slow motion with regard to pronation often end up slicing the shuttle, but they normally end up performing a reverse slice by accident. A reverse slice is after all just the early pronation during the regular stroke.

I would recommend that you pay more attention to where your strings are pointing. Are they pointing forwards at contact with the shuttle? Make sure you get a feeling of "punching forwards" THROUGH the shuttle. This is regardless of whether you use your wrist a lot, not at all, mainly pronation etc etc... Your strike should feel like you are hitting towards the direction you want the shuttle to go. I would suggest focusing on this feeling would be more beneficial than worrying too much about what slow motion replays are showing you.

As others have said, make sure you use the correct grip. The "forehand" grip seems very popular these days, though im not sure why people struggled with the basic grip in the first place!

12. bimetallica

I understand what you mean and know what slicing feels like. I'm confused as whether to cork my wrist back before beginning the swing. If I cork my wrist back and use pure pronation I will slice the shuttle and hence have to use a bit of wrist flexion at the end to compensate. However, when I don't cork my wrist and use pure pronation it hits more cleanly, so i'm not sure which one to use.

13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    My point is it doesn't matter. I do not actively cock my wrist when I prepare to swing. During the swing, because I remain relaxed, my wrist will cock back at some point.

Just focus on the clean contact that goes where you want with the correct grip. Then practice lots and lots. In 1 years time, you will be hitting really well, and you may or may not consciously cock your wrist.

At the moment, you are focusing on the details of the technique. Trust me, you don't need to worry about it! You need to get the correct grip, use good technique with your pronation, take the shuttle nice and high, and learn to hit accurate and as you get better, learn to hit steeper. This is a process that takes YEARS, not hours.

Good luck.

LenaicM likes this.
  14. bimetallica

Hey thanks for the advice!

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Good advice from Matt. :)

Because everything old is new again. ;)

Swap the names around, and you have a question that lots of coaches were asking Badminton England in spring 2007!

16. jak nam

jak nam Regular Member

@BM, as the coaches mentioned above, sometimes using magnifying glass to look at something you risk missing the entire picture. but to answer your question about the wrist, imo the wrist goes from slight extension at racket drop to neutral at contact, it should not go into flexion with perhaps the exception of the follow through of a forehead slice from right to left, even then it is minimal. for basic stroke, i think this video by mallawong explains the role of wrist quite well. (btw, the video guy messed up the terminology at the start of the video 0:36 calling extension, flexion - the content though is still valid)

[video=youtube;HiYgo6GD_DU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiYgo6GD_DU[/video]

#16 jak nam, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015