[Video] Backhand short serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by visor, Sep 4, 2013.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Wow I just read that it is the whole shuttle feathers and all, not contact point(9.1.5) cheers demolidor I never knew. So that puts the red line even further up. And I think the pink rib line is certainly not to high at least. So scale that image up to full visor height and your are looking at a sizable distance above rules.
    [MENTION=1495]demolidor[/MENTION] that is the second serve.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Ideally it should be more of a push than a hit as well but that requires some major reconstruction and is not worth the trouble.

But to pick a random match for height comparisons :D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUMV94eJs6g

3. visor

visor Regular Member

:confused: ..................

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

serve pro.PNG

This is a photo from that match. managed a pause just at contact(player has released shuttle. Shows you that the pro's can serve just about legal sometimes:D (sorry didn't make the line straight but still:D)

5. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Considered starting a thread for this but figured i'll post it here.

I've been giving this some thought recently and the only feasible solution i've come up with is a fluorescent tape placed onto the players shirts marking the lowest rib by the umpire before each game.

This should give a clear indication to the line judge when someone is foul serving, and the players wouldn't 'push the boundaries' so much either.

Any thoughts?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Only problem with that is the tape will shift up when the arms are raised to serve. I still say everyone wears mid riff T shirts that expose the belly button for reference. :)

7. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Sure, but at least it would be something.

Better than nothing and worth a trial (not biased, honest)

8. visor

visor Regular Member

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

only way to be sure is to tie some string around the racket T and attach to their shoelace so they can't raise their racket above the legal limit.

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Honestly folks:
    Do you really think it is such a massive problem in professional badminton that we have to change the rule for it?

Taking into account that there is no better solution (fixed height, LOL!! Shirts with straps, LOLOLOLOL!!) and that the problem is not THAT serious (judges are a bit more strict nowadays, I think that helps enough...), I think we shouldn't change anything.

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    It'd be interesting to see the server then try and play an overhead shot after serving! lol

I think as they introduce more technology to badminton, I'm sure some clever scientists will be able to use remote sensing equipment to detect a fault in the serve.

I'm in two minds about the fixed height idea, on one hand it seems appropriate as taller players will clearly have an advantage over shorter player with the current rules as they can hit the serve flatter. But on the other hand, with fixed height, shorter players can serve at chest level - which may introduce a trend of new service techniques or forehand drive-type serves?

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

There have got to be more missed service fault calls than bad line calls, both earn or lose a point, this being the advantage/disadvantage so yes it is a big problem. I take it you think the vid ref trial is OTT then since it is an even smaller problem?
    If it is the theory how does this serve benefit you on the court at the start of the rally(maybe not much?) that's fine but they should change the rule to something higher then.

Fixed height is a way better concept. [MENTION=4876]R20190[/MENTION] smaller players will only be able to do the same angle of drive as taller players and If they keep racket shaft pointing down etc rule I can't see how they could alter technique much.

13. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

by fixed height rule, you limit the movement of the taller players more then you limit the smaller players.
    and i doubt it would be easier to judge, there will still be some discretional margin for the judge.

i believe the rule is ok as it is, if (!!!) it's correctly forced by the service judge.
    and i believe it's somewhat better today then some years ago (just a feeling...).

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

"Correctly forced by the service judge" just look at the massive discrepancy between your and my view on visors serve height, how can the above quote ever happen?
    Fixed height can't be worse than that. I think it would be way easier to judge to boot. Just create a tool(see thread visor posted)

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Well as I say, I think there are good and bad points for both methods. I agree with Footwork in that fixing the height can have an impact on how players of different heights serve. Depending on the height fixed and the height of the player, it may be bio-mechanically more difficult for taller or shorter players to serve at that fixed height and so may need to alter the way they serve to keep within the rules. There's no clear "best concept" in my view here however I would favour keeping the current rules and support (or even replace) the service and line judges with technology to help them judge more accurately.

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I agree with footwork too about some might need to adapt and it may effect others worse than some, but imo the current difficulty in the actual calling of the serve fault correctly super seeds this. For sure though what you say is correct, If they could create some software to map the body and correctly work out this "line" accurately and then just feed you the data verdict, that would indeed fix the current rule. Can you see that happening?

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I can, they're already talking about introducing the long awaited "review system" that some of the commentators have been saying will be tested soon. So its only a matter of time that we will see more sophisticated technology that will help judge the locality of objects particularly as more and more money goes into the sport. If they can give us facial recognition and finger print scanning on mobile phones, I'm sure it can't be beyond the wit of man to give us the technology to do the job of lines and service judges, even if its just a tool to aid the judges.

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Lol, nowhere near beyond the wit of man but bwf have to consider logistics, cost and value of such a system. The review system has been delayed for nearly a year now because they could not make it reliable enough. It's concept is so much simpler than what would need to be involved to fit the current service rules. I say at least 10 years for the technology, if they keep rib rule.

19. m3w78

m3w78 Regular Member

real estate
    IMHO - It's time to scrap the old way of thinking, and make the top of the tape the max height for serving, regardless of how tall/short you are. It's fair for everyone, and very easy to see when a serve is illegal. No need for a service judge either. If the line judge on the opposite side can see the bird above the tape, it's a fault.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

This may be a bit high, would be too easy to just drive serve into someone's face. There has been previous discussion about having another line running the length of the net a few inches below the tape... this would be the max serve height and more easily judged by the service judge and if necessary or available in the future, a video camera can be placed there for instant replay and challenges etc.