Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Indeed the findings was an opinion based study and such evidence based medicine facts are most likely being tailored to strengthen the fact why WADA wants GCs in their list of in- competition banned substances. However it is very interesting to know that fact that at a high dose of systemic administration, a catabolic steroid such as GCs can have ergogenic effect to human which most people thought that such enhancing effects are purely derives from anabolic steroid.

2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

How come we don't have any news on LCW? The communication on this case is not good, LCW or BAM should do better on that

3. visor

visor Regular Member

I suppose no news is good news while pending the hearing. LCW's lawyer and team are sure to keep their cards close for now.

Meanwhile snippets of news of LCW continuing his training is a good sign of confidence.

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Yes, thanks. I had forgotten that the hearing was set on the 11th of April. Soon...

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  6. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

BWF's granting a wild card to LCW would be a black eye for badminton, for thumbing the nose at Anti-Doping. That would put the sport of badminton at peril when the review of Olympic events comes up.

Assuming the suspension will be off, it is certainly within BAM's power, if they do want to send LCW ahead of the other Malaysia Players. BAM can say that the highest ranked Malaysian will definitely go, and the other spot is reserved for LCW. That would not be an unreasonable thing to do. That would be a good compromise for badminton.

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Yes, there is only two weeks before the hearing. Why not wait a little and then organize something for LCW to be at the WC, if the hearing gives a positive outcome.

8. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

By the way, since the infraction occurred at the last World Championship, my guess is the minimum suspension will be one year and that would disqualify LCW from attending the WC this year. But that should still leave plenty of time for LCW to qualify for the Rio Olympics.

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    BWF should make it compulsory that doctors must advice BWF if they were to use banned drugs on players. This would make it more transparent for genuine cases and punish those who abuse it. ;)

Make a rule that if you take the drug, you are not allowed to play in tournaments for the next 1-2 months. It's a risk for the player if they want to take it. Of forgo the earnings and points. ;)

It is time for all to take proactive measures. Hope this will flush out all these nonsense of miscalculating and accidental usage. ;)

10. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Despite everything that has happened, it is so good to know that Lee Chong Wei himself is still going for training. This must have been a though period for Lee Chong Wei but happy at the same time to know that Lee Chong Wei is such a positive person. He really make the whole nation proud. Despite not being ably to play in tournaments, he is still going all out to support his team mates during the Malaysian open. So good of him.

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online

News
    Business
    Sport
    Metro
    Tech
    Lifestyle
    Travel
    Opinion
    Property
    Jobs
    Autos
    More

Badminton

Home > Sport > Badminton

Published: Friday April 10, 2015 MYT 7:00:00 AM
    Updated: Thursday April 9, 2015 MYT 10:51:46 PM
    Dr Ramlan on standby for Chong Wei's hearing

by rajes paul

KUALA LUMPUR: National Sports Institute (NSI) chief operating officer Datuk Dr Ramlan Aziz will be on standby for the hearing of shuttler Lee Chong Wei’s doping case.

Chong Wei will be facing a three-member independent panel of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) in Amsterdam on Saturday to clear his name over a doping issue.

The former world No. 1 had failed a dope test during the World Championships in Copenhagen last August. His urine was found with traces of the banned substance dexamethasone.

Dr Ramlan, who will give his testimony via Skype if required, said that he had been asked by Chong Wei’s lawyer – Mike Morgan – to be on standby.

“I didn’t accompany Chong Wei to Amsterdam. Mike has advised me to stay back. The panelists, though, may have some questions for me,” said Dr Ramlan, who added Morgan had also interviewed a few other experts from NSI, including the masseurs, physiotherapist and nutritionist who had worked closely with Chong Wei prior to the World Championships.

“Mike has done a thorough job. It’s important for him to have an understanding of the chronology of events so as to present a thorough report.”

Asked what kind of questions he expects to be bombarded with, Dr Ramlan said: “It all depends on the panelists. Whatever the questions, I’m ready to answer them as accurately as possible.

“The Skype interview, however, may not take place if they are happy with the reports given to them during the hearing.”

The main question will surely be how Chong Wei was found with the banned substance dexamethasone in his body.

Was Chong Wei aware of it? Did he have any knowledge as to how it was administered into his body? Did he take it with the intention of getting an advantage during competition?

Due a thigh injury prior to the World Championships, the NSI had referred Chong Wei to the Kuala Lumpur Sports Medicine Centre, which is under Dr Saw Khay Yong.

On July 17, dexamethasone was administered into his body to help aid his recovery from the injury.

The substance should not have stayed in his body for more than two weeks. Unfortunately, it was still found in his body on Aug 30 - thus raising many questions, including whether it was used again through different means?

All these will be answered at the hearing.

Besides Dr Ramlan, Morgan may also get a foreign expert in dexamethasone to emphasise that the substance is not a performance-enhancing drug.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/04/10/Ramlan-standby-for-Chong-Wei-hearing/

12. eaglehelang

Home > Sport > Badminton

Published: Friday April 10, 2015 MYT 7:00:00 AM
    Updated: Thursday April 9, 2015 MYT 10:51:46 PM
    Dr Ramlan on standby for Chong Wei's hearing

by rajes paul

KUALA LUMPUR: National Sports Institute (NSI) chief operating officer Datuk Dr Ramlan Aziz will be on standby for the hearing of shuttler Lee Chong Wei’s doping case.

Chong Wei will be facing a three-member independent panel of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) in Amsterdam on Saturday to clear his name over a doping issue.

The former world No. 1 had failed a dope test during the World Championships in Copenhagen last August. His urine was found with traces of the banned substance dexamethasone.

Dr Ramlan, who will give his testimony via Skype if required, said that he had been asked by Chong Wei’s lawyer – Mike Morgan – to be on standby.

“I didn’t accompany Chong Wei to Amsterdam. Mike has advised me to stay back. The panelists, though, may have some questions for me,” said Dr Ramlan, who added Morgan had also interviewed a few other experts from NSI, including the masseurs, physiotherapist and nutritionist who had worked closely with Chong Wei prior to the World Championships.

“Mike has done a thorough job. It’s important for him to have an understanding of the chronology of events so as to present a thorough report.”

Asked what kind of questions he expects to be bombarded with, Dr Ramlan said: “It all depends on the panelists. Whatever the questions, I’m ready to answer them as accurately as possible.

“The Skype interview, however, may not take place if they are happy with the reports given to them during the hearing.”

The main question will surely be how Chong Wei was found with the banned substance dexamethasone in his body.

Was Chong Wei aware of it? Did he have any knowledge as to how it was administered into his body? Did he take it with the intention of getting an advantage during competition?

Due a thigh injury prior to the World Championships, the NSI had referred Chong Wei to the Kuala Lumpur Sports Medicine Centre, which is under Dr Saw Khay Yong.

On July 17, dexamethasone was administered into his body to help aid his recovery from the injury.

The substance should not have stayed in his body for more than two weeks. Unfortunately, it was still found in his body on Aug 30 - thus raising many questions, including whether it was used again through different means?

All these will be answered at the hearing.

Besides Dr Ramlan, Morgan may also get a foreign expert in dexamethasone to emphasise that the substance is not a performance-enhancing drug.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/04/10/Ramlan-standby-for-Chong-Wei-hearing/

13. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    Cant wait to find out what happens tomorrow.

14. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I sure hope he returns before the WC. He didn't even know about this drug.

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Few more hours countdown..

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

17. eaglehelang

Published: Saturday April 11, 2015 MYT 4:40:00 PM
    Updated: Saturday April 11, 2015 MYT 5:05:14 PM
    Chong Wei arrives early for case hearing behind closed doors

by rajes paul

AMSTERDAM: Former world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei arrived early for his doping violation hearing amidst tight security at Sheraton Hotel.

Dressed in a blue suit, a calm looking Chong Wei arrived at 9.24am accompanied by BAM general manager Kenny Goh for the hearing in front of a three-member independent panel from Badminton World Federation (BWF) slated at 10am local time (4pm Malaysia).

Malaysian media waiting at the hotel to follow the hearing was, however, ordered out of the premise by hotel security upon strict orders from BWF.

Chong Wei, acknowledging the presence of the Malaysian media, smiled and waved before he was whisked into the hearing room.

BWF general manager Stuart Borrie said that it was a private event and the media was not welcomed.

"I have informed the hotel security and the media are not allowed in this area. Unless you are a guest at this hotel, you are not allowed here. Please respect our decision and leave this place," said Borrie.

Chong Wei is facing a two-year ban for a failed dope test during the World Championships at Copenhagen last August.

His urine sample was found with banned anti-inflammatory drug dexamethasone.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...-arrives-early-for-hearing-and-media-blocked/

18. eaglehelang

Published: Sunday April 12, 2015 MYT 12:02:00 AM
    Updated: Sunday April 12, 2015 MYT 8:10:03 AM
    Chong Wei's fate will be known within three weeks

by rajes paul

AMSTERDAM: Former world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei came out of the eight-hour Badminton World Federation (BWF) hearing drained and tired.

But the 32-year-old Chong Wei, dressed in a smart blue suit, was in high spirits despite no decision being taken over his doping offence.

On Saturday, the three-member panel of the BWF decided that they will make a decision at a later date – probably in three weeks’ time.

Prior to the hearing, Chong Wei had hoped that the panel would set come to a decision immediately and free him from the two-year ban hanging over his head for failing a dope test during the World Championships at Copenhagen last August.

He tested positive for the banned anti-inflammatory drug dexamethasone.

For now, Chong Wei is just happy that the hearing is over.

“It took a long time but at least the hearing is over,” said Chong Wei, who turned up early for the hearing – at 3.24pm Malaysian time.

Published: Sunday April 12, 2015 MYT 12:02:00 AM
    Updated: Sunday April 12, 2015 MYT 8:10:03 AM
    Chong Wei's fate will be known within three weeks

by rajes paul

AMSTERDAM: Former world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei came out of the eight-hour Badminton World Federation (BWF) hearing drained and tired.

But the 32-year-old Chong Wei, dressed in a smart blue suit, was in high spirits despite no decision being taken over his doping offence.

On Saturday, the three-member panel of the BWF decided that they will make a decision at a later date – probably in three weeks’ time.

Prior to the hearing, Chong Wei had hoped that the panel would set come to a decision immediately and free him from the two-year ban hanging over his head for failing a dope test during the World Championships at Copenhagen last August.

He tested positive for the banned anti-inflammatory drug dexamethasone.

For now, Chong Wei is just happy that the hearing is over.

“It took a long time but at least the hearing is over,” said Chong Wei, who turned up early for the hearing – at 3.24pm Malaysian time.

It ended at about 11.20pm Malaysian time.

“I have nothing much to share because a decision was not made. The panel will decide. They said that it may take a maximum of three weeks. It could be earlier ... ,” said Chong Wei.

“I’m satisfied with what was presented by my lawyers, led by Mike Morgan. It was a thorough presentation and all we have to do now is wait.”

Chong Wei said he had the extra energy to go through the long ordeal during the hearing, knowing well that “the whole of Malaysia is behind me”.

“I know that everyone is waiting for a good result. I received many messages of support. Even the Youth and Sports Minister (Khairy Jamaluddin) was in constant touch. I just want to say thank you to all my fans.”

So what is he going to do as he awaits the outcome? Knowing Chong Wei, he will do what comes second nature to him – sweat it out on the badminton court.

“There’s nothing much I can do but wait. I’ll just go back and resume training,” said Chong Wei, who is positive that he will get back on court and don the national colours once again.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...-three-weeks-before-Chong-Wei-decision-known/

19. eaglehelang

AMSTERDAM: Shuttler Lee Chong Wei is an honest man.

And that was what moved United Kingdom-based lawyer Mike Morgan to defend the former world No. 1 over his doping case.

Morgan said that he was pleased that all proceedings had gone well.

He had presented Chong Wei’s case in front of a three-member independent panel of the Badminton World Federation (BWF).

Morgan said that Chong Wei’s case was something he couldn’t turn down.

“When I heard about his case, I met up with him and spoke to him. I immediately knew that he was an honest man.

“He is an icon in Malaysia and world badminton. It’s a huge honour to represent him,” said Morgan.

Morgan said that Chong Wei had coped well despite the strain of failing the dope test.

“In any case like this, it’s always stressful for athletes, even more so for Mr Lee, who comes with the stature of a badminton icon,” said Morgan.

“It does take its toll but Mr Lee is coping well as one would expect.”

On the eight-hour hearing, Morgan said that it was long because “we had a lot to present”.

“The long hours do not necessary mean it’s a difficult case. There were a lot of witnesses. There were lots of scientific evidences and facts to be presented. I’m pleased that the panel gave us the time to present our case,” he said.

“There were witnesses but I’m not at liberty to disclose them or even state how many there were.

“We’re satisfied that we had a fair hearing and the panel did not rush us. We’re just keeping our fingers crossed ... the outcome is not in our hands.”

Asked whether there was any negligence in the case of Chong Wei, he said: “I will not be able to comment on the legal aspect of it.”

“I’m limited by what I can say. We have to respect the integrity of the legal process. I do not want to put the pressure on the panel or try and estimate when they will decide.

“For now, we cannot complain. We just hope for a good result,” said Morgan.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/04/12/Chong-Wei-is-an-honest-man/

20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    IMHO, Morten Frost's presence will help Lee Chong Wei.
    But what will help him more is Rashid Sidek's absence.

:D

Personally, I hope every gold-digger will be ejected from the BAM's cushy confines.