Maybank MALAYSIA Open SS Premier 2015 : SEMIFINALS (4th April 2015)

Discussion in 'Yonex Sunrise India Open / Maybank Malaysia Open 2' started by aulia, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Even my Chinese needs working on :(

2. *___*

*___* Regular Member

:mad:.............

3. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Susi Susanti and Tine Rasmussen.
    The former's career coincided with Steffi Graf's and her results were as dominant if not more. Someone here bragged about LXR's 4 wins and 10 finals in 2014. A season like that would have been considered abysmal for Susi. Just like our media starts hounding SN after a winless season, if SS somehow managed to pull a season half as bad the Indonesian media would have haunted her.

Tine stayed at the elite for twice as long as SN did.

In fact, even WYH (despite being a Chinese, where the depth is as good as the 90s MumbaiRanji team or the current Karnataka Ranji team and 3-4 bad months mean you are out) has been at the top longer and has won more than twice as many titles. Also their 9-1 H2H is a fact an avid Saina fan like you must be proud of. Saina is arguably a great player, undoubtedly a very good player and God willing a legend in the making. But considering her exploits as of April 2015 legendary is akin to considering a Mary Pierce/Amelie Mauresmo/Kim Clijsters a legend. No offence.

4. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    While I expect CM to win tomorrow. In the long run, I expect LYB to find an answer. After SS's retirement; no one other than LCW managed to successfully take on the machine. Not even TH and PG. And even LCW lost every time it really mattered.

Although if going forward CM keeps beating LYB, the world will have its next bonafide global badminton superstar. The kind that defines a decade.

5. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    not that i am disrespecting the past badminton greats, but what i think is the competition is more fierce and its a lot more physical now then it was used to be atleast in ws. .the only two other names which i remember from saina's time who were able to challenge the great chinese players were tine and juliane .
    also i am very proud whenever India does well in any sport be it badminton or any other olympic sport. .but i never feel pride in disregarding achievements of players from rest of the world, rather i never do that.

#585 arjevo, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  6. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    also i never said that she's the greatest of them all or something, but what i believe is she is a very good player, indeed and she never won the olympic bronze medal because of wang xin's injury or she reached the world number 1 because of li xuerui's absence, she achieved all of that because she worked hard as simple as that and that is what is tough to make them understand. .well i don't wan't to take the names here ("the all time great and most logical and partial posters of this forum")

7. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    3-18 vs LXR and WYH discounting WYH retirement and including Asian Games is something only Vitas Gurulaitis would brag about.

8. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    I doubt bookies use their brains outside mega betting sports like football and cricket.

Last year any one who saw/followed Kyrgios vs Thiem @ Wimby and Kyrgios's performances at Nottingham Challenger and contrasted it with Nadal's Halle result and movement in Rounds 1-3 won't have put 7.7 on Kyrgios.

Any Aussie national here??

9. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

10. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    You said most consistent player badminton has ever produced.
    Just pointed 3 names who have been more consistent. There have been atleast half a dozen other names who have achieved more including names like XX, GR, ZN, ZM, MA and LXR.

11. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Tennis odds are compiled from various algorithms, there aren't enough statistics to build a similar model for badminton

12. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Unquestionably the greatest female sportsperson in recorded competition history alongside Saori Yoshida. But behind Jahangir Khan and Phil Taylor.
    But EV gets extra credit for competing in two events.

13. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    BWF should totally hire [MENTION=30877]AlanY[/MENTION] and Maybe your website should do it. He is doing a thankless job for fans.

14. *___*

*___* Regular Member

ha, I would love to work for BWF.

On a related betting note, alarmingly there are numerous cases of match fixing at International Challenge level. Unfortunately I have no names.

HK Vittinghus and Kim Astrup were approached in KL last year

http://article.wn.com/view/2014/10/16/shuttlers_reveal_fixing_proposals_kuala_lumpur_badminton_821/

15. Cinetti

Cinetti Regular Member

It's not about being a non-natural player. Many posters disparage her due to her arrogance. She is known for making condescending remark on other players, often Chinese, many of which are quite unsporting. Among Indonesians, she became unpopular after the Taufik incident. She dissed Taufik for getting more sponsorship money than her. Is Saina > Taufik among who's who in badminton? Even India's Jwala Gutta hit out at Saina for being disrespectful. As an Indian, you may disagree. The fact is such attitude doesn't go down well with fans in Asia. On the opposite, look at PS Sindhu, she is so much more well liked.

#595 Cinetti, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  16. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Even in March 2005, when as a 15 year old she beat Aparna Popat in the Asian Satellite (current International Challenge level tournament), her attitude earned her bad press home. She has worked on her PR skills a lot since then. Although rough edges are still visible. (Like the Padma controversy).

Yet I would say CM displays a much worse on-court attitude. shreiking between points. Fist bumping UEs. Eyeballing. Not hand shaking after losses. Very unsportswoman like conduct.

17. Cinetti

Cinetti Regular Member

I was expecting a "mob attack" before I read your post. You're a civil and rational Indian.

Yes, CM has the worst on-court attitude, there's no dispute about it.

18. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Speaking of Saina, could anyone tell me what these are worth in £ or US $ please

1cc.jpg

19. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

It does seem like select european *cough*Boe/Mo/Carolina*cough* act quite terribly on court.
    In fact, I can't even watch their games sometimes because the constant screaming from Marin is just too much for my ears to handle.
    In the end it's not even the screaming that annoys me, it's actually why they scream, and how they behave on the court that makes me so furious I have change my video to some Red Pandas to calm myself down.
    They do it to get into their opponents heads. I'm still in my early twenties, and when I was a teenager I used to do stupid crap like this, because I thought getting into my opponent's head made me win matches. In reality, training hard, and thinking about the game made me win more matches. Trying to get into your opponent's head requires effort, and that effort is often better spent trying to focus down on your game. If 16 year old me can realize that, then Marin and the danish pair has got some real growing up to do.

Either that, or they're just naturally born terrible people. (This is purely speculation, I have absolutely no proof other than my personal opinion, and their well documented terrible behavior.)

20. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member