Victor Brave Sword 12 (review)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ucantseeme, Jan 14, 2011.

1. phalanx

phalanx Regular Member

Sorry, it was 93g ^^

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Victor has alot of variations and not the best QC. It's not a surprise that you can get with bad luck a light 2U or a heavy 4U when you buy a 3U. Have seen 3U's which were based on measurement just 4U's. The balancepoint can be vary in an area of 10mm. [MENTION=64484]j4ckie[/MENTION] reported in the past about a BS9 which is damn heavy and slower than a N90.
    Maybe your 12N is on the light side of 3U and your B12 on the heavy side. That could be a variation of 4-5g. With the close BP the head mass is around 2-2.5g heavier, which swings and plays like a different racket.

3. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Mine BS 12 3U has a sticker (from local reseller) stating weight (without strings?) is 87.2 grams and balance point is 292 mm. Is that one of the lighter 3U's then?

4. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Is the plastic wrap still on?

5. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Yes it is covering the handle with a few stickers on it.

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Single or double layer? But it does sound like a lighter piece.

7. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Single layer. Haven't played with the racket yet but while swinging around living room it feels exactly like my Yonex Nanoray 900 3U. Same weight, same swingspeed. While bending BS 12 clearly is more flexible though and bends closer to the handle.

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    It should weigh about 85.8g after the wrap is off and adding a few more mm to the balance.

9. ah_lim

ah_lim Regular Member

10g in racket can make so much different

I had a bag of crisp after a heavy dinner last night.. this morning I checked my weight has gone up 1kg

Just saying :D

10. Benevolence

Benevolence Regular Member

Wanted start a thread in stringing technique forums but somehow felt it's the wrong place to do so.

Since it is something to do with my bs12, I will ask here and hope to get some assistance.

Would like to know, is it inevitable to have paint chips when a stringer strings my racket?

Well I'm not exactly referring to those serious case. It's just that when I take a look at my racket, I realise there are a few small polka dots, which might be due to the stringer equipments.

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Sounds like a stringer who isn't careful with his awl. Even though the 12 chips fairly easily there is no reason it should with a properly careful stringer.

12. Benevolence

Guess I will just refrain myself from going to that shop to do it. My new mx jjs has a few polka dots as well. If only someone tells me it's unavoidable. :(

13. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    If you really care about cosmetics for the resale value or personal enjoyment then I would advice you avoid that stringer from now on. But then again as a professional service your racket should return in the same condition as it was received in.

14. Benevolence

Thank you. It's just upsetting that my new racket, haven't even started playing, already "disfigured".

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Ah..that's a big let down. I would have confronted the stringer about the damage. It's juat irresponsible to cosmetically damage a perfectly good new racket..

16. Benevolence

I doubt if something will be done to it. It will die down to whether I will want to accept his apology.

And the shop business still goes on.

17. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Don't go for a big return. Just ask for a snall compensation like having the string job free instead. Nothing more you can really ask for anyway.

18. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I received a MX80 on saturday from a friend and it has the same dents like your JJS. The last stringer threated all blocked holes with an awl. Really annoying, but the MX series has an awful pattern to string. Not every stringer is used to it. I use on everything with more than 72 holes scrap string for the blocked holes. Even experienced and well known stringers use the awl regular for nearly everything. I would try to get a tube of highend shuttles from him and look for a different stringer.

#1258 ucantseeme, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  19. Benevolence

Looking for another stringer is gonna be a definite yes. As For the tube of shuttle, might get into an argument instead.

Just count myself unluckily. Nothing can be done.

20. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Just had a first doubles session with Bravesword 12 3U, here is my opinion how it compares to Yonex Nanoray 900 3U. BS12 has BG80 Power string at 21 lbs. It might sound very low tension, but in my Nanoray I had same string at 22 lbs with no problems. Now Nanoray is stringed with Nanogy 98 at 22 lbs.

Bravesword feels a bit lighter and faster than Nanoray 900. Drives are easy and powerful and power is produced effortlessly.

Same with defence. Bravesword is bit quicker and lifting smashes to back court is very easy with just a small wrist movement. With Nanoray lifting requires clearly more power. Also blocking smashes to net area are accurate and quick.

Clears are also effortless, no need to apply too much force here. Better than Nanoray 900 in that department.

Net play is difficult. Racket or string feels so bouncy that most shots are way too high when crossing the net.

Smashing is the most difficult part. Racket swings quickly but power is not transferred to shuttle. With hard hits I feel the power is not any better than just hitting with wrist. It doesn't feel much head lighter than Nanoray 900 but for some reason I can smash much harder with Nanoray. Also with Nanoray 900 smashing angle is naturally steeper. Maybe it is the more flexible shaft? I am used to stiff rackets where the harder you swing the faster the resulting smash.

I would rate these two rackets as follows:
    Yonex Nanoray 900 3U:
    Power: 8/10
    Control: 9/10
    Defence: 8/10
    Feel: 9/10

Victor Bravesword 12 3U:
    Power: 6/10
    Control: 7/10
    Defence: 9/10
    Feel: 6/10

Next I'll try to increase string tension, that should help with feel and control. Also while attacking I'll try not to hit with full power but focus on accuracy instead. Maybe it just takes time to get used to this racket, this is my experience after only playing for two hours. Typically I can adapt quickly to new racket, even switching from Voltric Z-Force II to Nanoray 900 only took one hour to feel comfortable.