Yonex Voltric 80 E-Tune

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 3, 2015.

1. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

I have now had the VT80 E-Tune since the release here in Denmark and I must admit that I like it. The colorway is really nice in person and the bourdeaux color combined with the matte finish gives it a very subtle look.

I have been using a lot of different Yonex rackets except the ZF and the first thing I noticed when using this racket was how stiff it was. I expected the same stiffness as the Arc's as they are both stated as 'Stiff' by Yonex, but the new VT80 is definently stiffer and I am glad that I went down to 13,5 kgs instead of 14 kgs.

The balance is head-heavy, however I didn't really noticed it being head-heavy. I just noticed how easily it was to maneuver compared to the Arcsaber 10+11. The weight of the head felt the same as the Arcsaber, however the lower weight made it feel as if the Arcsaber's shaft and handle went on a diet while Yonex left the head untouched. Remember that this is WITHOUT GROMMETS and at this moment in time I cannot comment on the feel with the grommets installed.

I am definently hit by the E-Tune hype. It is very stiff and head-heavy but still light overall with a nice colorway and a possibility of changing the balance to match the individual. What is not to like?

2. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

the color must be so enticing that quite a few young players playing next to our club in our gymnasium already wielding it not so long after release, and when I checked my local racket shop their 3U versions were already sold out.

3. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Yonex is really onto something doing this matte finish the started in recent years with the VTZF then the VTZF2, before that every manufacturer only had glossy finishes. I wonder how resistant it is to paint chips?

4. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

Z force 1st gen isn't better than VTZF2. I went to Yonex Factory and seen them making ZF2. The rackets were sprayed glossy before being finished in matte. After that they started to put the hot stickers onto the rackets. Furthermore, NanoRay and ArcSaber models are finished in glossy. Only Voltric series are finished in matte. The quality has been improved over years.

Nanoray GlanZ is something that attracted me. The finish is mix of matte and glossy and being the superior line by Yonex. As the material is new, Yonex put 22lbs. I am still not convinced on the max tension is. Waiting for BCer's breaking the Nanoray GlanZ.

5. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

my Nanoray 900 once clashed pretty hard with a friend's VTZF2 when we're taking the birdie right on the middle line the sound was like CLANK!!, checked our rackets after no big deal, that's why I only buy Yonex, even when taking difficult shots when I sometimes accidentally hit the floor while recovering it's nothing or only a tiny scratch remained for bigger clashes.

back to this Voltric 80 e-tune, this racket is a beast for attacks, we had to face a pair of young advanced players yesterday wielding V80e-tune and ZSpeed, their attacks was so overwhelming that we deliberately avoid lifiting, the new Voltric 80 smashes like BOOM BOOM BOOM, and shuttle felt heavy to return that the partner already waiting at the front for a kill. This racket is PERFECT, perfect look and perfect for smasher (aggressive attacking style). I wonder how would people compare V80e-tune to VTZF2 in smashing?

6. dexterc

dexterc Regular Member

government employee
    i just bought this racket in Thailand few days ago..had it stringed 26 lbs...cant wait to test it on court this weekend :)

7. joshinn6

joshinn6 Regular Member

I own both the ZFII and the 80 E-tune and based off my play with both I would have to say I like the 80 E-tune better (plus my gf likes the ZFII so she wins on which racquet she wants). The 80 E-tune has a bigger frame and more forgiving then the ZFII. I think smashing is quite similar, I felt like I hit the net more often with the ZFII while trying to smash. Usually Im always on the market to buy a new racquet because I have buyers remorse (buy something then regret it), but with the 80 E-tune I am 100 percent satisfied and couldnt see myself using any other racquet. This is based solely on my experience and every player has their own opinion on which racquet is better.

8. dexterc

dexterc Regular Member

government employee
    After few plays using this....its like a combination of arcsaber 10 and vt 80 which i both have :) i liked it bery much...very easy to drive, good in control and power to deliver :)

9. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

How many grommets are people typically using for this racket?

10. DKCPH2014

DKCPH2014 New Member

NA
    How much do the additional parts/grommets weigh...weight of top 2 grommets & weight of bottom 2 grommets.

11. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

The red parts that were included with mine weigh just under or exactly 1 gram.

12. DKCPH2014

DKCPH2014 New Member

NA
    All the four together were under 1 gram ?

13. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

So do you use all of them?

14. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

I actually do not use any of them. The reason for this is that my stringer didn't get that i wanted them installed and right now i like the racket as it is. However they will be installed next time ill have to re-string it.
    Yes they weigh less than 1 gram. Sorry for the bad images, but the weight says 0 on both.
    image1.jpg image2.jpg

15. joshinn6

joshinn6 Regular Member

Yes I use all of them but from the picture above seems like it does not do that big of a difference. I would like to also mention I have the 4U.

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Wow under 1g thats surprising, you could get the same weight gain with just a little strip of regular black tape.

17. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

Before this starts to develop into "E-Tune is just the Voltric 80 with black tape" we need to remember that it is NOT the same racket :) I know you didn't say that, but the jealous people in here will (I see you!).
    However i too was very surprised by the weight of the add-on parts and had to weigh them several times before realising that they were actually less than a gram. However i do not think one should buy this racket because of the E-Tune parts but for the fact that it is a new racket and not just the Voltric 80.

18. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Wow, the grommets need to be "installed" during stringing? I'm going to pass on this racket then.

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

On the contrary I am jealous, I want one :)
    But focusing on these grommets alone I was surprised to hear, I mean less 1 gram is nothing. Is there another reason these grommets can produce extra power over not using them?

20. visor

visor Regular Member

C'mon guys, that scale there probably has an error tolerance of +/-1g ! :eek:

But even then 1g up top would be easily noticeable on swinging and hitting. And my guess from my experience is that those parts are probably at least around 2-3g in total. Think about it: 2 layers of thin plastic wrap around Victor handles already weigh 2.4g.

#120 visor, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015