Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    Why it would be ? He has served the sentence and now he is as normal a player as any body else .

2. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    And not qualifying for the WC is a natural consequence of the sentence. His sentence was essentially served while BAM was fooling around trying to find lawyers and build a case, so the suspension is hardly a real punishment in this sense. Giving him a wild card would essentially say 'oh well, looks like you won't have to bear one of the major consequences of doping'

3. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

No, he was guilty. He was given a (essentially worthless) punishment of a 8-month ban for that precise reason. Or else his name would have been cleared like Lee Yong Dae and Kim Ki Jung.

4. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    well , just wait for BWF's answer ... what is there to argue. Even if he doesn't get an wild card , high chance they will give up a player to let lcw go for world champ....

5. sh_shashi1

Student
    I have not asked whether or not guilty but whether he cheated ? Answer precise.

6. RuSSy

RuSSy Regular Member

Student
    Is CWF and ZZ uses Victor??
    I think victor malaysia can influence at it

7. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

ZZ sponsored by Forza last time, now don't know what sponsor him...

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    LCW committed doping in last year's world championship, unintentional or not.

He can't qualify for this year's world championship because of his suspension due to doping he committed on the same event last year.

If BWF grant him a wild card, it would set a bad precedent.

9. sh_shashi1

Student
    So you are not sure whether it was intentional or not ? Do you have any respect for BWF tribunal ?

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    What i meant was this: LCW committed doping, even though it was unintentional.

11. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I don´t think LCW committed doping, I think he committed "being unobservant and then doping happened". For example if you jump in front of a train on purpose you commit suicide. If you walk close to the tracks and look at the stars and then slip on a banana peel and get killed by a train you don´t commit suicide but you die anyway. The last scenario I think represents LCWs case best.

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

you're probably 'thinking' too much.

the official line is "Malaysian player, Lee Chong Wei, has received an eight-month sanction for an anti-doping regulation violation."

in layman's terms, he committed doping thus the 8 month's sentence and points voided.

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Simple answer, Yes he cheated. He was found to have a substance in his body which is banned under in competition rules and unavailable for the rest of the players to use legally.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

If he had cheated and had been found guilty, would the sanction only have been 8 months? ;)

15. sh_shashi1

Student
    You are violating the BWF tribunal decision or too dumb to understand the ruling. God forbid if you are a lawyer or an aspirant.

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

So many arguments about what is right or wrong, like every one's a judge! What the fans should care about is to get LCW at the WC because the competition will be so much better if he's there. The same applied for LD two years ago.

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yep he only got 8 months, because they considered the circumstances and concluded it was not intentional etc. doesn't change the fact. I quoted sh_shashi and his quote was to separate guilt/intent/circumstance from cheating which was a fact it was in his system he did cheat.

Your not getting it. I fully except the tribunals decision, I am glad they made that decision to find that the mitigating circumstances were good enough, but as I said, it was in his system, he cheated fact.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    The official ruling is this: he was negligent but unintentional, para 46.

Unless WADA appeals, this ruling is final.

As for whether BWF should grant him a wild card for World Championship this year (despite his "negligence" at the same event last year), that's an entire different matter.

As a matter of principle, of course an athlete guilty of doping should not be given any favour, especially in the same event, which happens to be most important event of the year.

Commercially, however, an event with LD vs LCW is guaranteed to go well with both sponsors and fans. This is especially so given what LCW had gone through in the past 8 months.

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Just to add he has been stripped of his WC2014 medal and points, obviously because of this fact. So the Tribunal does not say what you think it does.

20. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I think "cheating" is quite a strong and perhaps the wrong word to describe what happened here. Yes he is guilty of contravening the rules by having a banned substance in his body. But "cheating" suggests there was intent - but there wasn't. So in my opinion, he didn't cheat, but violated the rules.