ZM62 Fire reviews and comments

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by zombie0517, Jan 31, 2015.

1. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    I know... right, visor? awesome feel... my cross court smashes felt way more lethal as well, cos the dues I play with had a hard time adjusting to timing of my shots... they know my game pretty well, but the string was doing some independent magic in changing the quality of the shots...

Front and mid court... that's where you realize that this is like a "string on steroids" LOL!
    Can't wait to order the next batch of 5 strings. The orange truly rocks... but that's more of a psychological effect!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

"On steroids" now have a totally different meaning now in Malaysia...

But I know what you mean... crazy repulsion, intimate feel... :)

3. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    "On steroids" ---> OOOOOPS... hahahaha! I'm gonna test the next racket at 24lbs with Zymax 62 Fire... time for some rubbery defense play.... ! I'm used to 28-29lbs.

4. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Interesting that a super-thin gauge is getting attention when so few players use these thin gauges.

For reference i strung a county players rackets today using a hybrid mix of 69 Fire in the mains and 62 in the crosses. This was a test from his usual 66 in crosses. I'm delighted to report he absolutely loved the combination. For string breakers, perhaps hybrid is the way to go, providing more feel but with a lot more durability where it matters.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Next test for him... 66F mains, 62F crosses!

6. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    Visor - you are right but he likes durability too. He used to use BG66 Ultimax and I was stringing his rackets every week. Now I string them every 6 weeks so that's a great improvement and he prefers it this way.

Paul

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Interesting combination.

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I think 62 mains and 62 crosses would be interestinger

9. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    Is 'interestinger' a real word.............or am I being pedantic?

Not tried 62 Fire yet, still enjoying the 66 Fire, and just ordered more. Tried the 66 Fire Power at 27lbs and cut it out of the racquet after 2 hours of play.....it seemed dull and, contrary to the name, no Power!

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Yeah its like interesting but gooder.
    62 to me feels like fresh 66 but where 66 goes flat vs850 style 62 stays lively. Or so I've found. Can't bring myself to cut it yet even after I spotted the most hideous double missweave.

11. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Interesting point... have always wanted to try the 66FP. The only two things stopping me r 66F n 62F... just too comfotable with those that I dont wanna get out of my comfort zone...
    { ^.^}

Btw, whats the racket that was strung with 66FP...?

12. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    It was a Panda TPK, and what I forgot to mention was that I could not for the life of me find any control at the net.......dead to me.

But as for 66F, fantastic. Our 'go to' string is normally BG80 and recently VZ890, but now enjoying the 66F.

Would like to try the 62F, but feel the same as you do, but about the 66F.

13. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Strung my TK-9ooo with 66F @27/29 lbs. Simply put, it was great...!!

Tested with 62F @25/27 lbs, it bcomes too repulsive for me. Birdie kept flying out.

However, BS12 with 62F at same tension yields a diff game for me. Felt the combo of repulsive string n fast frame, even/slightly hh racket works like a charm... at least to me.

#73 TeddyC, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

So far, ZM62 Fire just won't snap. I've only broken one set, and that was from "notching" rather than "popping".

I'm not entirely sure this is a good thing. The string is great when fresh, but then seems to go a bit dead. I think I preferred it when they just broke.

Of course this is all very subjective, so it might say more about my play or state of mind than the string itself. But so far it's not quite living up to my expectations.

15. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Interesting that you've noticed it go flat. White or orange?

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

White.

But like I said, there may be too many variables here. Maybe I'm hitting a bit harder. Maybe I'm not a good enough stringer yet.

I wouldn't put too much store by it, at least not just yet. I'm going to try some BG66 for comparison's sake.

Another possibility is just to up the tension again, and see how it plays after the initial drop. But then I'd be at 28 lbs and I feel that might be a little silly. ;)

17. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    Gollum

The only way you know is to experiment on one of your rackets. I frequently test other strings and am now testing hybrid combinations. The latest 69 fire mains and 62 crosses is looking extremely favourable. I think I'll be testing 66 mains and 62 crosses next.

Paul

18. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    With hybrid stringing, would you follow the usual +2lb for the crosses or alter the ratio depending on which strings were being used? Seeing as thinner strings already feel tighter than thicker ones, I'd imagine adding 2lb to thinner string would make it more unbalanced compared to the mains.

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yep, totally agree with you there -- I shall continue to test, and it's all good practice for stringing. :)

Your hybrid stringing is interesting. Do you mainly do that as a way of compromising between durability and playability -- essentially allowing you to "blend" a performance string with a durable one, creating something in the middle? E.g. Zymax 62 + Zymax 66 = "Zymax 64".

Or do you find there are other effects on the playability?

20. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    Gollum - great question. It is purely finding the right balance for durability and playability. Whilst the players prefer a 66 gauge, with Yonex strings they were breaking too easily which meant they moved to 70 gauge. We therefore began a test by introducing the 69 Fire followed by the first hybrid of 69/66.

The last test I did was 69/62 this week for one player and he loved it. So I have one more test to do and that is 66/62. As the player breaks the main strings, my instinct is 69/62 will be his final choice.

I still sting crosses 2lbs tighter than mains, regardless of the gauge. Whilst a thinner gauge feels tighter, the truth is that it's not. So i follow my 2lb rule regardless and there is no distortion in the frame.

Paul