Swing speed vs Head weight

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cycril, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

From Maklike post here, we know that overall weight is not the factor for power generating. But i still have a question, how does swing speed and head heaviness affect the power generating?

It's being known that if given same head weight , then swing speed is the factor for more power, but if given same swing speed, more head weight will be the factor. Hence,
    more head weight = more power.
    faster swing speed = more power.

But if we are given a constant force, and given 2 rackets with same stiffness, which one produces more power? giving a simple example,
    racket 1 : 30g head wt, 70g overall wt, 70g swing wt
    racket 2 : 40g head wt, 80g overall wt, 80g swing wt

Which will produce more power? Please correct me if my concept is wrong. Thanks. [MENTION=62821]Maklike Tier[/MENTION]

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO your example has three issues which makes a comparison not practical. 1st you don't compare 2 identical rackets which are just 2 weight classes different. you make one 10g lighter and only in the head. Lets say we compare a 88g JS9 and a 78g JS9 the head difference is just 5g and not 10g.
    2nd I doubt that any racket on earth has a swing weight of 30g. The most rackets around 70g have a higher BP to compensate and more head weight than 30. Even the FB has higher swing weight.
    3rd the shaft plays beside the swing speed and head weight a very significant role. I think that the 40 won't work well with a 10.0 on Sotx scale and the 30 not with a 7.0. Your gap is for my liking too big between both rackets and the variables like swing speed and stiffness too vague to discuss. I think that an example like ZFII 3U vs 4U would be a good starter, because everybody tried this famous racket and can imagine such a racket and difference in real world.

3. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I think by "same stiffness" OP meant same characteristica or optimal shaft properties. :)
    Remember, that the effective of the same stiffness varies with different head weight.
    Also important for resulting head speed is the shaft kickpoint. Rarely discussed in badminton, often mentioned in golf. A high/low kickpoint will trade of speed and precision.
    To answer the question: it depends on the player! Arm strength matters, technique matters. Some favor lighter swing weight to generate speed, others get almost same speed, thus more power from heavier head.
    Biggest difference is probably not in speed of a pure shot, but rather feel, consistency and racket stability on off centre hits. Eg. drop shots in singles feel easier to control with some head weight.
    Shots that are generated with small muscles and compact/short technique, such as net kills, tabs, deceptive lifts, high smash returns and similar "finger"/"hand" power shots, will favor light heads.

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    You are missing an important element when considering power - accessibility.

In advanced badminton you do not often get the opportunity to play a perfect full 100% power smash utilising every muscle fibre in your body fully as you might do in practice.

Instead it is more often than not a compromise as you're being stretched and turned during the rallies. You may need to play the shot slightly out of position, or your body is such that you cannot rotate your body/shoulder or perhaps you are not able to get behind the shuttle well enough. These are very common situations which means your racquet head speed is not always at your max speed for the smash.

If we can assume that only 5% of the smashes you play are full 100% smashes where everything is set up perfectly, then for the other 95% of smashes you need to be able to get the max power from a reduced head speed. This is where you need good accessible power.

Usually this means a racquet that is less stiff than your ideal "max-power-racquet", lower tension string bed and/or lighter head.

So some players would sacrifice some maximum power for better accessibility to power for compromised situations.

I suspect this may be a reason why a lot of pros don't use the super-stiff racquets that we would expect them to.

5. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

Nono, I'm just giving an example. I'm trying to make the range big enough so that even real time rackets won't be able to produce so. It's 30g head weight(wt) not swing weight(wt). I guess I misinterpreted it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sorry I couldn't double quote using tapatalk.
    the kick point of the shaft is due to the head weight which basically flex the shaft even more if we have a heavier head and vice versa right?

Ok let's give an example, given a robot that can swing consistently at 500N force.
    4U zf2 with 30g head weight
    4U zf2 with 40g head weight
    No doubt that the one with 40g head hits harder right?

3U zf2 with 30g head weight
    4U zf2 with 30g head weight
    4U will hit harder because of the faster swing.

Then how about (JUST AN EXAMPLE)
    3U zf2 with 30g head weight
    4U zf2 with 28g head weight
    Which one hits harder now? Some would say the 3U ones due to the HW while some will say the 4U one because of the faster swing. So who's correct? Any maths to prove this?

I'm doing this so that we can actually write a more technical review for rackets and reduce the feeling of every individual as each of us are different. IMO.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

for starters, 'swing weight' is not measured in mass, since it's not a weight.

Since you are putting in constant force, they will both hit the shuttle at same speed.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Just to throw more confusion into this, Yonex materials choose

the kinetic energy equation
    KE=½ (mv²)

rather than the force equation
    F=ma

Hence, racket head velocity seems to be more critical than racket head mass.

#7 visor, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  8. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

Oh sorry I didn't know that. Sorry for the misinterpretation again.

Yes they both will hit the shuttle at the same speed. Which one lands first/further is the question

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

No, it isn't. If the shuttle is going at the same speed in both cases then they travel the same distance...

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

So many broken assumptions and illogical comparison with this statement I don't know where to start.

11. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

The central question is:
    Why the heck should I care about this stuff as a player?

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

OP is trying to ask 'What weight distribution in a racket gives the highest power shot, all other things being equal?'. If you could answer it sensibly then it would be a magic formula for one aspect of racket design. Unfortunately, it's a leading question and the in-built premises are untrue => the question is worthless.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Tell that to Yonex, I'm just quoting one of their past slides.
    Only if you're interested in understanding the why's and what's of different racket specs and how they play differently.

You can ignore this stuff if playing with Arc FB and VTZF doesn't make a difference to you.

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You must know that Yonex is the almighty queen of badminton gibberish. ;) They have elevated nonsense marketing to an art form.

When I see a Yonex sentence that makes sense, I do a double take.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... Haha... Victor too...

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I think he means if the racket head speed is the same, which one will have more power - a heavy racket which is headlight, or a light racket which head heavy. All else being equal.

17. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

Yea all those marketing sentences they wrote are all against each other so they they could be on the other's head.

IMO, all those advertising quote by them MAY had us going to the wrong concept. So that's why I seek for truth but still it's very hard to be calculated.

Thanks ameleto for pointing out that both shuttle hit by both "different" racquet will end up at the same spot and at the same speed. But if this is the point, then the reality of "i can hit harder with this racket" is totally fake! A head light racket could actually hit as hard as a head heavy racket at the same force! Correct me if I'm wrong.

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's not what he said. Look again. :p

19. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

Oh shite! Sorry amleto, didn't read it properly.

Craigandy was right, I mean the speed of racket not shuttle. I must be drunk just now when I'm reading your post haha sorry.

Yes it's true that if the shuttle are traveling at the same initial speed, surely they will land together at the same distance, unless the shuttle is inconsistent. Ok going back to the question again.

20. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Whichever one has more (angular) momentum.

If the head speed is the same, there hasn't been the same input force/effort though, so it seems like a worthless comparison. It's just the same information as the 'swing weight' = moment of inertia.

#20 amleto, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015