Take off old grip or leave it on??

Discussion in 'Grip' started by matt-nick, Jul 29, 2015.

1. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I would take off that grip and put the karakal PU grip straight onto the wood, overlap it a bit so that feels nice and will protect the wood nicely. For the 1 hour a week you are playing, that grip will last you a few months atleast.

As its bright orange, it will start to look grubby before it wears away or so. Karakal PU grips a nice but anything other than black, they look grubby quite quickly.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Just a word of advice. Whenever you're furious with your parents or you think they're terrible, just remember, you vomited on them and they kept you.

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

3. lcw the best

lcw the best Regular Member

Bomb maker
    I love extremely thin grips. However 1 is way too thin could not feel it. Like wood. Thus, I just use two yonex supergrap. If you are using a karakal super pu. I would advise you to remove the original one.If you dont. It will be too thick. It will also make it feel lighter. And it will be extremely hard to control.

4. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
  5. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    Thank you invincibleAjay and Icw the best. Really appreciate be input. I'll be doing the change later on after work So Shall Post a pic on this thread of my first grip change attempt lol.

6. CBlack

CBlack Regular Member

I'm trying to get Yan V. to order me a full case.
    Just PM me if you still need some next month. (meaning in a week or two depending on when he receives inventory. I'll be in Calgary for the foreseeable future.)

I'll toss a roll or two your way.

As for the grip on the handle...

Please take it off.

I don't sweat from my hands, but my white grips still get dirty from other means.
    The level of stench alone should be enough to make you gag, or want to change.
    I know from experience.

I change them almost religiously now.

Wouldn't it be interesting to send the grip off to the lab to get tested to see how much bacteria can be found??? I know I know... gross. :p

One tip for Matt-Nick...

Use an overgrip on the barehandle first, but as you pull the grip around, do not over stretch it too tight, to see the level of comfort.
    Then unwrap the grip, and try again by pulling a bit tighter to see if you like the texture...
    Note, the tighter you pull the more the grip would stretch, thus thinning it out.

When you pull the overgrip or even replacement grip too tight, it changes the texture, and thus feeling on the handle.

This can affect you in an unconscious manner.

Test it out, and see what you like before putting a replacement grip that has adhesive on the backing otherwise it'll get... sticky, and tougher to remove.

#26 CBlack, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  7. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    Thanks Cblack, I shall put it on first as best I can without sticking it to see how I like it. I won't pull it too tight as idontpaticuly at it thin, I'd like a bit of a cushion. Just took my origina grip off, was a bit of a pain but got there. Used a alcohol based surface cleaner. But it wouldn't get the glue off so was going to finely sand it once it's aired out to get the glue off. It's only a thin layer of glue, can't really notice it apart from the fact it's sticky. Unless you think I should leave it on??

8. CBlack

CBlack Regular Member

I wouldn't spend too much time on it, unless you're OCD and require perfection.

Yes, alcohol based cleaner, or even just rubbing alcohol is great for weakening or dissolving the glues.
    If you're unable to get it all off, and it doesn't bother you, just leave it on.

If it were mine (I'm OCD:p)
    I would probably get as much as possible off, that way you have a nice clean (relatively speaking) base to start the grip off from.

Really its all personal preference. LOL

9. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    This is my first ever attempt at re gripping a racket. I think it went okay, training the top end of the tape I found a tad difficult and wasn't perfect but the karakal tape covered up my slight cock up lol. What you guys think? image.jpg

10. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Looks good to me matt-nick. You need to cut the top end at a slant so that when you put the grip around, its becomes nice and flat. So taper it. Hope that makes sense, let me know if it doesn't and I can post a picture of what I mean.

EDIT: similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qYkpU8cY4A

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

#30 InvincibleAjay, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  11. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    I read a while ago on here that if you are using a replacement grip (Karakal PU super for example), a good way to do it is to remove the original grip and then wrap electrical tape around the wood.

The idea is that it protects the wood from the sweat of your hands, which may soak through the grip.

No idea whether it makes a difference in reality, but it seems logical and I don't see a downside so I've always done it since.

12. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    I was thinking of doing that Randomlegend but I use electrical tape fairly often as I'm an electrical engineer and j find that when the tape gets warm and old it tends to sweat. Might just be the batch of electrical tape I'm using mind.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Looks good. At the very bottom of the handle, I build that up a little more first. That will increase the final diameter of the butt end as it flares out. It helps me stop the racquet flying out of my hand.

14. Rounak95

Rounak95 Regular Member

Student
    Not bad for a first attempt :)