Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

LCW should watch very closely the quarters between Axelsen and CL

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I have just watched LCW's match against WZM. Lee's performance in that match was quite indifferent. A lot of imprecision and a lack of commitment (or confidence). Perhaps his bad display in the final could have been foretold based on this

4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
  5. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    IMHO as a local coach, pulling back TSB is just to show that BAM has not much of an option other than having back faces that Dato' is familiar with. TSB wont make much different to Dato' current performance and even if Datuk Misbun is back miraculously either, neither him as well can make massive changes.

Need to admit that Dato' is also a mortal human and at his current age and lack of competitive sparring exposure while training in BAM camp, recent defeats are acceptable because those who had beaten him are those worthy of beating him which are CL dan LD. He is still unlikely can be easily beaten to any other players IN THIS WORLD other than this 2 Chinese players. What more to expect and IF Dato' can't win this up coming Korea Open, it is very likely that this 2 Chinese players are the cause of it as well.

Even though Dato' still has the all the qualities to win in any tournaments that he is participating but being the only constant sole competitive representative for BAM in the single department for more then a decade has taking a toll on him and the side effects are showing very clearly now. If you ask me if he can win in Rio next year then i have less then 50% of confidence he would. Blame me for what i said as a Malaysian but that is what i think after watching him now. Even if CL or LD withdraw from Rio to make a story here because of Leptospirosis infection or Thyphoid Fever, he still need to deal with the vast improvements of Kento, Victor, Tommy and CTH of chinese taipei to name a few that will improve by next year.

Dato' and BAM needs to cleverly plan to maintain the physical fitness of Dato' reserves in certain pattern of game play while playing as well as for certain important tournaments as his fitness is the only key that made him to be a player that being feared by most......very fast and agile. If Dato' wants to win the Korea Open as well, when confronting with CL and LD, he needs to plan and given the insight on how to push his physical to the limit only when there are a clear opportunity arise.

SS

6. bmiph

bmiph Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe Dato' need to see beyond titles and $$. Just maybe, he need to go back to Berapit :) where in his younger days, he simply just enjoyed playing badmintion, no pressure.......find that spot where it's just fun, where he can relax and go all out. And maybe get a scolding :p Because I am sure he is still training very hard, doing the same thing and expect different results :D

7. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Losing to Lin Dan in the early stages of JO 2015 may not be a bad thing for Lee Chong Wei. He is already at the tail end of his career and that body cannot take punishing pace anymore. More resting period between tournaments or that he does not go far one or two tournaments may allow his battered body to rest.

Lin Dan seems to be able to take defeats in early rounds these days in his stride and despite the vituperation and premature perdictions by his fans.

Having said that, I believe LCW could no longer find new ways to beat LD anymore. LD know his game too well both physically and psychogically. LCW maybe able to beat CL one more time but not always.

At 34 it is difficult for him to change styles, lack of varied and quality sparring partner. maybe he should follow Xiong Guo bao's advice. Less physical conditioning but more basic skills polishing. What he meant some times the conditioning regime can lead to injury. So you can still be formidable by making sure your basic shots are fine tuned such as the net play, strokes and sideline smashes.

8. Edmund96

Edmund96 Regular Member

-
    maybe he would perform better this way due to the elimination of stress. BAM really cant only rely on him anymore. I do not think Daren or CWF are capable to succeed him though. I hope BAM can groom Iskandar ZZ, Soo Teck Zhi, Joo Ven and Cheam June Wei though.....

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    ...which means he needs to have more patience in the long rallies rather than using physical strength or special strokes to try and suddenly create an advantage.

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Absolutely. Compared to LD, LCW does seem to use more energy early on in the match, you'd probably have noticed that LD does not attack too much in the first game compared to games 2 (and 3) whereas LCW attacks as soon as he hears the words "love all, play".

But LCW is not the 2010 LCW anymore and seems to have lost a bit of stamina. He doesn't seem to be able to sustain the intensity into the latter stages of the match anymore. His mental strength seems to have suffered ever since CL started began his dominance. He no longer believes he is the best.

I think LCW does need to be more patient, but he also needs to be more consistent, conserve his energy early on, use more of his overhead variations rather than go for the smash and toughen up mentally. All too often when he's losing, he has his head down. When he's winning, he gets complacent. Not the right attitude imo.

11. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

LCW recent lost in KO SS opening qualifying round has shown the sign that he on the peak...

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Perhaps he figured that if he'd won, he would have to play another singles match in less than 10 minutes, so he didn't want to incur any injuries by over trying too hard? Dunno, just speculating...

13. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Yes injuries tend to happen in badminton tournaments. I am not trying to defend Lee Chong Wei. He is getting older and injury may happen anytime. Plus a player may not be winning all the time. Of course it will be a hot issue if a top player like lee Chong Wei lost. I just hope for everyone to give Lee Chong Wei some peace and stop discussing about his lost today. I also want to stop talking about Lee Chong Wei lost today.

14. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

next tournament he taking part will not be at qualifying rounds, automatically enter to main draw...

15. bengyeam

bengyeam Regular Member

unfortunately he just lost in qualifying round in Korean Open today :(

16. Tantrum

Tantrum Regular Member

I can't believe it! To an unknown too. Carrying injury perhaps?

17. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

i talking about after Korea Open...

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

The Korean guy was not an unknown, at least to the Korean Team as he's the former world junior champion back in 2013.

19. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Definitely must be injured or too tired.

He will never be beaten again by the same Korean player, everyone has their once in a lifetime moment and this time it was for him.

20. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    He's off the juice now, performances are suffering.