Little "Magical" piece inside your wooden grip!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by arfandy, Oct 8, 2015.

1. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Does anyone ever take off any racket's buttcap and see what's inside of it? Not always, but chances are pretty high you would find the magical pieces (either plastic or rubber bullet-alike) that are commonly being used by every racket manufacture to change the BP and weight of the racket. These pieces (range from 1cm ~ 7cm in lenght, depending on the series of your racket) are tightly screwed onto the wooden handle, thus you'll need to drill it to take it off without damaging the wood. Caution: taking if off could change the total weight of your racket (e.g 3U → 4U, 4U → 5U) and BP of the racket as well.

2. linhrom

linhrom Regular Member

i've heard of it before but never tried. Mark A has done it with his TK9000.

Is it easy to take out the buttcap? any special way?

Just curious about it, not wanna drill out the "magical" piece but wanan remove the buttcap

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Butt cap is only held by 4 staples. But you have to remove the factory grip first.

4. linhrom

linhrom Regular Member

arh... i see, seen that all the time but didnt know thats the only thing holds it together. always remove original grip since G4 in the US is always a tad big for my small hands

5. terranerbana

terranerbana Regular Member

Victor rackets should be G5 in the US

6. lcw the best

lcw the best Regular Member

Bomb maker
    well, how do you know he uses victor rackets. He might be using Yonex or Li ning or maybe other brands

7. linhrom

linhrom Regular Member

lolz, thanks, yeah, Yonex users for years. Always see G4 in the US, havent seen G5, at least where i live.

I even have to sand down the G4 a bit for my small hands.

8. elkew

elkew Regular Member

i took off the buttcap off my vtzf2ld and theres this small white thing plugging a hollow handle

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It's held in with some staples; easy to take out.

The rule of thumb is that removing one gram from the handle will add 5 mm to the balance point, but the advantage of doing it this way - as opposed to adding lead tape to the head - is that it doesn't screw around with the shaft mechanics nearly as much.

I've done it to all my JS10's, and it turned them pretty much into 5U Thrusters with small heads.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=11783]Mark A[/MENTION]

So you just remove the plug? Wouldn't that weaken the hollow area by removing a supporting area? So now there's a higher risk of the handle end being crushed if you grip it very tight eg. in a smash.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The handle is hollow up to about the halfway point, and no plug I've ever seen was more than about 3/4 inches long, so I doubt there'd be any danger in taking it out. But you can fill the gap with that expanding builder's foam if you like - it'd rigid, but very light. Best of luck getting it out again if you need to, though;).

12. linhrom

linhrom Regular Member

[MENTION=11783]Mark A[/MENTION]:

Mark. is there anything inside the TK9000 to take out or they are already hollow for their high BP?

#12 linhrom, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

IME plugs are added to make weight rather than BP; you might very well find one in there if you have a look (and if there is, taking it out gives you free height-weight without affecting the frame structure or racket dynamics).

14. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    I thought the plugs were to add back structural integrity after partially hollowing out the handle to reduce weight.

15. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

When I shake my Wilson racket, I can feel something shaking in the handle. I think it's the little "magical" piece that you guys are talking about. But it's not that magical for me...it's just plain annoying when playing with the racket. (Thank god that's my backup racket)

Should I remove it from the handle?

16. linhrom

linhrom Regular Member

some racquets has nothing in it (hollow) since as Mark said, its there if the racquet is not right within the weight range, they add it in to make consistency to racquets
    [MENTION=113761]orangenetic[/MENTION] : the small bit inside the handle is held by stapler, so most likely its been loose by usage, which is rare, perhaps the quality is not that good.

But also beware, some racquet has some sort of ball inside (i have no idea whats the purpose). Like my friend has a li-ning racquet that has some sort of ball and its so annoying to play with, its different from what we talking about here