Yonex DENMARK Open SS Premier 2015 : SEMIFINALS (17th October 2015)

Discussion in 'Yonex Dutch Open / Yonex Denmark Open 2015' started by CLELY, Oct 16, 2015.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

To open my heart fully on that, I think the CHN team players should work hard to learn english and go out with the media and the people. They have their own market and audience back home, and they are paid only by this home stage, but for the sake of badminton, if they could communicate freely with the ROW, things would be different.

2. syntaxerror

syntaxerror Regular Member

Thats ridiculous. I guess we should force the Koreans to learn English just to communicate more efficiently during interviews as well?

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Are you doubting Lin Dan's calibre???? Could you clear your intentions about what you mean making such statements???

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

It is not ridiculous. Look at other sports, like tennis or football or else. They all learn to speak english. In more and more jobs, english becomes necessary. What we ask from common folk we can ask from the sport persons. Wake up and smell the coffee, its a global world.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

[MENTION=63377]renbo[/MENTION]....I think you are diverting the the topic of discussion (at the moment)....GC's bias against Chinese players especially the Two leading MS players has nothing to do with them not knowing English language...For ex,LYD doesn't speak English....Yet it doesn't take her more than a few good points to remind the world how LYD is the Best Doubles Player in the world.....When Steen Pedersen remarked LYD's serve as 'illegal' in the finals,she quickly defended him by saying in a bold,high pitch voice ''No,it's not"....So,it's not 'English' has anything to do with her bias against the two best MS players in the world...Infact,you will see numerous times how she will highlight Viktor Axelsen's 21-8 21-7 win in the following one year till Rio Olympics,be it a VA's match or LD's match and How 'boring' Chen Long plays

#185 Nine Tailed Fox, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  6. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    It's funny I never heard Messi or Maradona speak a word of English. And 10 years ago, neither did Nadal, Vinci or Fognini...
    And if the world is truly global and not unipolar then maybe the Anglophile media should learn Korean or Chinese.
    Language has nothing to do with skills or marketability.

7. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    I challenge anyone reading this to find a single interview in English featuring Messi or Maradona. I guess they are neither marketable or global stars, r they??

8. Nine Tailed Fox

'Super Like'...where's the button??

9. Nine Tailed Fox

[MENTION=122085]Fan123[/MENTION]..Do you believe BWF should get rid of GC?????

i will love 'Steen Pedersen' as a technical speaker and someone maybe 'Ray Hudson' :D as energetic non stop speaker...

10. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    No because she is knowledgeable and experienced.

Johnny Mac and Chrissie Evert are always biased towards the Americans, esp. Chrissie towards Davenport earlier and Vee n Rena now (Chrissie used to be a bit harsher on the sisters and Cpariati back in the 90s when LD was active and now she is their biggest fan in the com box), but they do belong in tennis commentary. Maybe not Johnny who doent always sticks totennis while commenting, but defo Chrissy, who like GC is a gr8 commentator.

Another example would be Harsha/Benaud. When they started, they stuck to cricket. But post 2011, HB has been known to be vitriolic at times, a far cry fom his persona of two decades ago.

I like GC. Am a fan. Huge fan of Martin Frost the player/coach; but every time he shared the com box with GC, we both know who triumphed. Aeeyjeey JeeyaRum notwithstanding. Lol.

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Fox you don't understand what I said. I agree GC has her like and dislike, and she communicates too much about it ; what I contest is that she is sinophobic. She has her favorites and dislike in the Chinese camp like in all other nations.
    For sport persons speaking english, Nadal did learn english, did he? Yes he did, because they do press conference a lot, and communicate much more about tennis then our baddy player do.
    For Messi I don't, he may be an exception, but not an example to follow. Anyway, you don't get my point, fan123

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The idea is that there is too much for or against China, with meaningless expression like "ROW", and CHN team should do a little effort to diffuse that, and it would be good for badminton. Players are pro, it is good for them if they speak english

13. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    BTW Shubh Navratri/Durga Puja/Dusshera etc.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I like Richard Kaufman much though he isn't too knowledgeable about badminton, esp in the technical aspect but that's fine by me. He's got a very nice voice, always comes off as fair,balanced,objective,neutral, unbiased even though I think he has his preferences or favourites (who doesn't ?) but he expresses it only once in a while in a simple,matter-of-fact,straightforward, qualified manner whether praising or criticizing (in fact, he seldom has anything negative to say about anybody).

15. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    One commentator I absolutely abhor is Sanjay Manjrekar and his OTT praise of NoHit and Jinx and constant needling of ChePu. Even Sunny G adds to the fire. These two would probably like Dadar XI to represent India again.

16. Nine Tailed Fox

[MENTION=86374]Justin L[/MENTION],Can I apply???? :D

RIP LCW and Carolina Marin :D:D:D

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Akash Chopra is the biggest Chu****.

18. syntaxerror

syntaxerror Regular Member

Athletes from non-English speaking countries should not be forced to learn English just to appease commentators. Using translators is just fine. With the increasing growth of Asian countries in China and India, european players by your logic might as well learn Chinese as well!

Nonsense to say that they need to learn English. Badminton is a global sport. In fact English is probably the least relevant language to Badminton seeing how there are no real competitors originating from countries with English as a first language.

19. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Technical knowledge is awesome and he never plays cliques and favourites in the com box....
    At the Ranji level the dostana of Mumbaikars is awesome and necessary. The Delhiites especially need to learn from that, but at the national level, the likes of SanMan especially and to some extent Sunny G and even Ravi (jo bus Sunny ki jee hazoori karta hai aur beh jaata hai) are parochail towards Mumbaikars. Among the three Ravi is the most rational though and always objective unless he is sharing the com box with the afore mentioned duo

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Of course,I fully support you except that your implicit, should I say expressed, bias against LCW and CM (not to mention your well-known bias toward LD) would likely turn you into another GC or worse.:D:p