Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    Just 20 years old still have room to improve

2. sen

sen Regular Member

I agree with the pairing is miscast.

Kevin is better paired with someone like Fran Kurniawan(but need to have a younger version of Fran)

Marcus is quite similar, need a power smasher as partner like a younger Markis Kidho.

3. seagame2001

CNC
    I know his current partner is the second already. I think their chemistry is not great but still can build on in the future

4. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

The partnership was formed in less than a year and now they're already in top 15. I actually think they will eventually be in the top 5 as their performance in the chart is going uphill, given they're still young and very promising, give them some time and I think we'll see fabulous results from the pair in the future. It's just a matter of time for them to be in the top 10 now.

5. seagame2001

CNC
    all they do just win one super series this year to prove themselves

6. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    I can't really see where this pair can improve too much. I've been watching Kevin for a while now and it seem evident that he can put a lot of pressure with his creativity , pace, and power and really stress a defense but his partners (Gelvanis or Fernaldi) often can't increase the pressure or finish off points. Stall enough points with good defense and even 20 year olds get tired and impatient.

Watching him play against KKK this weekend it was evident to me, he will not have much advantage against other top front court players. Which is why I suggest he be matched up with a front court player who can press the front better and give Kevin more short lifts to work with and able to win more point consistently at the net.

In my opinion Indonesia needs to find him a LYD as soon as possible or I believe Kevin is going to end up like Liu Xiaolong without the All England title. I remember when I was similarly impressed by Liu Xiaolong.

7. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    i didn't think much of gideon when he was with kido, but seems like he has promise, at least he has the spirit and passion when he plays.

8. indrg

indrg Regular Member

The INA's MD in the national camp are crowded. I am not seeing anybody that can be paired with either of the two, Kevin and/or Gideon. Shall they and Ade Yusuf/Wahyu Nayaka be mixed?

9. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    Their combination is getting better & better, what can we expect from a 10 months partnership? To break to world #10 is absolutely possible coz of their current world ranking of #16 and they are expected to move up to #14 by this Thursday (28th Jan'16) when BWF release their updated weekly ranking.

Here are some of their biggest wins throughout their 10 months partnership, Gideon/Kevin can go further for sure.

Malaysia Masters 2016
    Round of 16 - beat Ko Sung Hyun/Shin Baek Cheol (current rank #9)
    Quarterfinals - beat Lee Sheng Mu/Tsai Chia Hsin (current rank #14)
    Final - beat Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong (Current rank #18)

Hong Kong Open 2015
    Round of 32 - beat Liu Xiaolong/Qiou Zihan (current rank #12)

Thailand Open 2015
    Round of 16 – beat Kenta Kazuno/Kazushi Yamada (Current rank #22)

Vietnam Open 2015
    Quarterfinals - beat Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong

Chinese Taipei Open 2015
    Round of 32 - beat Lee Sheng Mu/Tsai Chia Hsin
    Semi-Finals - beat Mohammad Ahsan/Hendra Setiawan (current rank #2)

Swiss Open 2015
    Round of 16 – beat Wahyu Nayaka/Ade Yusuf (Current rank #21)
    Quarterfinals – beat Kim Astrup/Anders Rasmussen (Current rank #25)

All England Open 2015
    Round of 16 – beat Manu Attri/B. Sumeeth Reddy (Current rank #17)

10. Espírito Santo

Terrorist
    Sunday, 24 January 2016 | MYT 7:41 PM

Koo-Tan give full credit to Indonesian pair after loss

GEORGE TOWN: Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong paid tribute to Indonesians Gideon Fernaldi Markus-Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo after losing the men’s doubles final at the Malaysian Masters.
    The veteran Malaysian shuttlers were full of admiration for the Indonesian No. 2 after losing 21-18, 13-21, 18-21 in a thrilling clash at the SPICE Arena in Relau.

Kien Keat said the Indonesians were not only fast but played with great courage.
    “They fought for every point and kept showing great fighting spirit throughout the match,” said Kien Keat. ”I hope our youngsters selected for the Asia Team Championships (a Thomas Cup qualifier in Hyderabad from Feb 15-21) will show this kind of fighting spirit to overcome older and experienced players out there,” added the 30-year-old Kien Keat.

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have named a team of debutants, selecting three pairs – Tan Kian Meng-Low Juan Shen, Tan Chee Tean-Tan Wee Gieen, Teo Ee Yi-Ong Yew Sin – and four singles players – Zulfadli Zulkiffli, Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin, Soo Teck Zhi and Soong Joo Ven – for the Hyderabad tournament.

Having qualified for their second Grand Prix Gold final since they were reunited last year, Kien Keat-Boon Heong have strengthened their hopes of qualifying for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in August.
    They are now ranked 12th in the race for the Olympics, just one rung behind compatriots Tan Wee Kiong-Goh V Shem. If both pairs ended up in the top eight at the end of the qualifying period in May, they will qualify for the Olympics.

“Reaching the final here has certainly put us on the right track to qualify for the Olympics,” said Boon Heong, 28. Kien Keat added: “We have a solid coaching team behind us. The next few months will be all about badminton and we hope to make it to Rio.”

For Kevin-Gideon, Sunday’s success was their second in world badminton since they teamed up in March last year. They won their maiden crown at the Taiwan Masters Grand Prix. “Today’s win is more memorable. Kien Keat-Boon Heong are experienced players but our determination and speed were better than them today,” said the 20-year-old Kevin.

Kevin-Gideon will play as Indonesia’s second ranked pair in Hyderabad behind veterans Mohd Ahsan-Hendra Setiawan.

Source: The Stars Newspaper (Malaysia)
    http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2016/01/24/koo-tan-give-full-credit/

11. sen

sen Regular Member

Or perhaps Edi Subaktiar can be tried to play MD instead of XD.
    Edi was very good in junior playing both MD and XD

There is also Alfian Eko

12. Espírito Santo

Terrorist
    BerryKevin.jpg

From "RUMOUR", maybe Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo will partner Berry Angriawan (see picture of them above) in the future if Gideon/Kevin partnership failed.

That mean the possibility of Ryan Agung Saputra to partner Gideon Markus Fernaldi :D

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Angriawan would be great with Sukamuljo. They would be the more consistent players from both pairs.

Both Saputra and Fernaldi are rather inconsistent and can often collapse easily. Imho Koo/Tan would've won the MAS masters if they had focused their attacks on Fernaldi.

14. indrg

indrg Regular Member

You mean Edi, Gloria's partner. We need taller player in MD.

15. sen

sen Regular Member

Berry was consistently bad early last year. I think during the superliga 2015, he just did not have the mental toughness. But recently, he was doing well, I don't know what caused that.

16. razhes

razhes Regular Member

wow i do agree with you guys, kevin should be splitted if this pair didn't work out asap. i am wondering that ahsan would be suitable partner for kevin, because hendra already planning to retired after olympic. kevin/ahsan would be really great!!

17. seagame2001

CNC
    They will have a rematch with Taiwanese MD again tomorrow

18. sen

sen Regular Member

Where do you read that Hendra planning to retire ? I read that he was going to continue playing, maybe another 1 or 2 years.

19. Espírito Santo

Terrorist

As expected Gideon/Kevin have moved up the BWF World Ranking to #14 (as 28th Jan'16 ranking). Winning the Malaysia Masters enable them to grabbed 7000 ranking points and move up 2 rank.

Congratulations and Good Job to Gideon and Kevin!!!

Enclosed BWF Top 20 Ranking for MD as 28th January 2016
    BWF World Ranking 28th jan'16.jpg

20. seagame2001

CNC
    Good to see them in top 20. If they start to win more GPG titles they will be in top 10 in no time