2016 Maybank MALAYSIA Open SS Premier : Entry List & DRAW

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open/ Singapore Open/ China Masters 2016' started by CLELY, Feb 26, 2016.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

MD defending champion Mathias Boe has new partner here, none but the Olympic Champion, Cai Yun.

3. nthanhhai

nthanhhai Regular Member

They must have developed their relationship or at least, getting to know each other well after India PBL. It also means that Cai Yun is retired from CN National Team.

4. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    ^ true that

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Woah, that's awesome.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, very interesting, Cai Yun and Matthias Boe's partnership. As Cai Yun said, they are both front-court players, need some time to work it out and make the adjustments, since they've never partnered before.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Besides, a relatively young doubles player would prefer a partnership for the long haul, so for these two veterans to come together is not only understandable but also more more realistic as they are both in the tail end of their careers.

8. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Justin any idea who will they converse each other? As far as far as I know not many Chinese players are comfortable in English! Of course except TYT who really surprised me in an on court interview!

9. visor

visor Regular Member

they were both in the recent indian league , so obviously cai had to be able to communicate in english with the other players...

but this will be exciting to watch them play, although i have a feeling most of the young pairs can easily take them in two games, and if stretched to three games, their age will show

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

According to Cai Yun, he and Boe have been maintaining communication via sms, in what language he didn't say. I supposed it is in English as I don't think Boe understands Mandarin. Not surprising if Cai Yun seeks Tang Yuanting's help in posting and reading the English messages. When the two meet, I guess some halting simple Engish accompanied by gestures would suffice.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Apparently, these two old warhorses just refuse to go away and certainly not ready to hang up their racquets yet driven more by their passion for their sport than anything.

Nonetheless, it'd be fun to watch them play though we have to be realistic about their goals, if any. I'd expect to see them pairing up for at most a couple of years, for sure in the professional leagues, esp IPL where they first got to know each other personally.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Actually, from what I've read in the Chinese news media, Cai Yun has yet to be granted approval by the relevant authority in CHN. If I'm not wrong, Cai Yun is jumping ahead of himself by registering to play MD with Boe in the MAS PSS; probably he's optimistic of success. Hope so.

13. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    When I heard about this partnership I worried that some CHN authority will stop this just because this is international tournament and not League.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think very likely they will approve it, considering his age, 36, and his past contributions to CBA, so take it as a kind of reward for him. Didn't CHN allow the Sichuan provincial players compete at the ongoing Austrian open IC ? That shows they are more liberal than before.

15. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    boe might be able to seek viktor's help

16. ninja801

ninja801 Regular Member

is the malaysia open even going to be on ?? there seems to be no sponsor....

17. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    This is definitely going to be an interesting pairing for sure. Also I think it's also great that Mathias Boe, having lost to Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng in the Olympic final, made the effort to reach out to Cai Yun for this.

I personally think Mathias boe's rear court play is more intimidating than cai yun's at the current level. I know Cai Yun was capable of smashing up to the high 270's kph (based on old speed measurements), but he mainly relies on change of pace or simply chose to do a drop shot and rotate FHF to the back.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There is a 550k prize fund. Presumably they got it sorted last year....

Mind you, although the title of this thread is Maybank, that name is not included on the BAM website. Strange.

#18 Cheung, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2016/03/04/hello-it-is-set-to-be-celcom/

KUALA LUMPUR: Celcom is set to be the new title sponsor for the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

It is learnt that the mobile telecommunications provider, a listed company under the Government-Linked Companies (GLC), is set to be the new title sponsor for the Malaysian Open at the Malawati Stadium in Shah Alam from April 5-10.

20. zatoino

zatoino Regular Member

Malaysia recently made biggest withdrawal in history which saw Goh Jin Wei, Sonia Cheah, Ho Yen Mei, Tan Kian Meng/Low Juan Shen, Chooi Kah Ming/Ow Yao Han, Tan Chee Tean/Tan Wee Gieen, Joyce Choong/Yap Cheng Wen, Chow Mei Kuan/Lee Meng Yean, Tan Kian Meng/Lai Pei Jing & Tan Chee Tean/Chow Mei Kuan are out of this tournament...

furthermore there will have a lot of disappointment for the Malaysia fans that not able to watch local WS promising player Goh Jin Wei in this tournament...