2016 YONEX German Open : QUALIFICATION to FINALS

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2016' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Feb 28, 2016.

1. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Very happy for LD. I have always stressed on various threads that irrespective of the current form, LD will be the most dangerous player in the Olympics. I am also a big fan of his current defensive+ deceptive style of play contrary to everybody's favorite 2008 and prior attacking style. It is a treat to watch reputed younger players running out of fuel against him on a consistent basis.

Though I am a big fan of LCW I believe it's CL, who brings the best out of LD while playing against him.

CTC played great but LD's brain and tactics were just too good for him. Though the score was close in the third game, ctc's body language said it all. He was never gonna win against the GOD. It was funny to hear the commentator say in the second game "ctc is just so and so points away from the title". Of course, ctc was leading in the second game, having won the first. But it was too early to comment :)

When KS had won against LD in China, the best part was he played just like LD. Mostly defensive tactics and waiting for the opponent to make mistakes.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Regarding 'bringing the best out': watch the 2011 WC and 2012 OG finals. The only match I ever saw LD play better than on those occasions was the 2008 OG final - and maybe the 2006 WC one...

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I suppose LD's tactic is to wait for the opponent's weak moments, when they start to smash into the net and be vulnerable to his little deceptions. As he knows only CL and LCW (beside him) don't have such moments.

4. volcom

volcom Regular Member

LCW has won what like once against LD in the past 2 yrs? In the China Open.

2014 Asian games he lost in the SF, last year Japan Open 2nd rd he lost in 2 sets.

LCW had a surge late last year but it remains to be seen if he can maintain it as he is 34 now lol

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

4 meetings since the OG, 3-1 in favor of LD. 2 in 2015, 1-1.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

There is no way we can't recognise that CL and LCW are LD's 2 biggest threat

7. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    CTC said in almost n number of interviews and other social pages! But yeah even I thought they'll show LD's idol!
    Showing the 'idol' part in the stats sec was rare, they always show best achievements their for eg in AY they showed '2x WGC' and in LXR 'OG medalist' etc

8. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Just in case if you guyz have forgotten,
    We have diff threads for Professional Players and needless to say LD has one for himself! Why don't you peepz drift your 'debate' there also just a reminder GO is completed and this a tourney thread, so why to increase the mods work! Speaking of which if you still have something remaining get it on AE, afterall its already Monday

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

This man really loves to create unbreakable records, the one and only Lin Dan:cool:

A good start for Lin in this new season, warming up for prestigious All England this week. Well, only last two finals in men's category delivered thrilling atmosphere for badminton fans. Li Xuerui proved she's in good shape and stamped authority against Wang Shixian also Korean top XD, Ko SH/Kim HN who tamed Shin/Chae comfortably. Thai WD failed to maintain healthy lead in second game, Huang/Tang gained momentum at the end of match.

10. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    You know sometimes I wonder how the CHN WD players break the partnership and enter every other tourney with a new scratch partner and still manages to top the podium! What's so special about them?

11. phihag

phihag Regular Member

I'd assume just general exceptional quality, plus a similar style of communication, training, and tactics. The same holds true for any group of players that train together, e.g. Korean Mens doubles. I wouldn't be surprised if even players from totally different groups can excel if they are both excellent players. We'll see a perfect example in Mathias Boe / Cai Yun, but alas, not in this German Open.

12. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Yeah I agree but just have a look, HYQ hasn't been 'impressive' plus TJH hasn't played much the late last year! Still eleiminaing MM/AT who of course has a tendency to loose to passerby pair but has been virtually at the top of the tree for a long span of time!

13. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

LOL-- hate to be Mr obvious, but the "deceptive + controlling" play is meant to COUNTER pro-active play/players.... though I agree that LD needs to up his "deceptive + controlling" play (especially against LCW/CL who are more familiar/comfortabl with it) for All-England competition.

As for Kenta Momota, are you one of those people who don't realize that he actually used controlling play to beat Victor Axelsen in the 2015 Dubai Super Series Finals ? I hope Victor and his coach don't listen to all the "pro-amateur" commentary questioning his lack of commitment and "pro-activeness"....

The real reason why badminton matches went on for hours under the old point system (where you can only scored if you were serving) was because receivers would and could often get the service back by switching to a more defensive or "deceptive + controlling" play.

The new point system is good for the game in that players are free to accelerate and attack at any time, because they can get points even when they are not serving-- but that in no way invalidates the effectiveness of "controlling/defensive" play. Chen Long did not become World No.1 because of his smashes-- but because of his very astute shot selection and placement (which allows him to smash but denies his opponents the opportunity to do so)-- badminton players nowadays must learn to how/when to "mix it up" since it is no longer serve=attack + receive=defend.

I guess I am still able to enjoy the "chess" aspects of badminton because I grew up watching/expecting the badminton matches that went on longer than a movie.

14. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    What's with the terrible coverage? Nothing but a few highlights from bwf on youtube.
    The other videos look and sound like they we're recorded on a phone :(

15. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    Why MS prize is the same amount to WS single? MS played extra round compare to WS.

16. phihag

phihag Regular Member

So what? I don't see why the number of matches should influence the prize money. The extra matches were played on Tuesday with only a couple of spectators, so even if you'd divide money by spectators, the results would be almost even. On the contrary, I would find it quite unfair if winners would receive less prize money just because they happen to be female.

In any case, the number of rounds and prize money distribution are not specific to the German Open, but the same for all Grand Prix tournaments. Refer to BWF Part III.111 (Regulations for Grand Prix) §7.2.1 and §7.3 for more details.

17. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    ^ in that sense players who start from Qualifiers and go all the way to lift the trophy at the podium should be given even more prize money

18. seagame2001

CNC
    But extra round can cause injury

19. seagame2001

CNC
    to me the prize should be more if you play extra round. Just like you go to work and you get paid for overtime