Wang Shixian ( 王适娴 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by george@chongwei, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Players like Nozomi Okuhara go flat after every second rally. The most recent example was the Asian Badminton Championship match with Wang Shixian where I lost count how many times Okuhara was left on the floor only to buy time.

Everyone should do it like Lin Dan,change the shuttle after every second rally. No one will bother and ample amount of fuel will be restored.

2. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    For a player only 5'1, there are lot of excuses to fall flat to the floor. It's hard for the tall Chinese WS player to keep doing that.

The tournament shuttles are so expensive right now a shuttle costs almost 3 dollars. LD's matches will need 2 tubes per game. It will cost about 200 dollars in a 3-games match. I wonder how the referee let them change the shuttle so often even though there is obviously no shuttle damage.

3. D-Boy

D-Boy New Member

Student
    Well to be fair, this is a sport...

The umpire is to make sure the game is fair. The general time between rallies for rest (before the shuttle is served) is about 20 seconds early on, by the 2nd game, the umpire was already giving 30 seconds.

Even after 35 seconds, both player readjusted serve position and suddenly asked to change shuttle really late, or straighten the feathers on the bird.

Near the end of the 3rd game, it was a battle of attrition and mental toughness. An aggressive player moving the opponent around the court tires them out, but if they get full rest, that aggression is wasted.

Generally speaking, Wang is a taller player with longer reach, generally she can defend with less energy against shots that are not high and deep or angled and short. She has an advantage if there is ample time to fully rest.

Again the same applies, if Wang is moving around the super hyper defensive Okuhara around the court. Okuhara gains advantage with a full rest.

The umpire worked very hard to keep the rest time to about 30 seconds +5-10 seconds for service adjustment. Okuhara tied her shoes once, yes, but quickly got read if warned. Wang ignored warnings, and started biting her nails, then re-feathering the shuttle countless times.

However, the end of the straw was her attitude. All sports games require sportsmanship, and respecting the judge or umpire is part of playing the game. Every time she was told to do something she would give very negative body language equivalent of "what the .... don't you see I'm biting my nails!?"
    She also complained at crucial moments, showing unsportsmanlike attitude.

During the 19-19 point, she clearly was out of position and Okuhara had a simple kill. Even though the net was not hit she still tried to argue "HER RACKET WENT OVER THE NET!!?!?!"
    It was an easy kill, and she had made the error, but she wants to blame the umpire for not catching "over the net hit." It shows she would grasps at any straws for an extra point, even if she knows it's unfair. So of course as morpheus said

It's not always about the final points or mentality. The umpire is there to try to make it as fair as possible. A little respect goes a long way.

skhai91 likes this.
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree point 1. Incredible really how Okuhura can cover the court so well despite being vertically challenged.

Point 2. The shuttle cost won't be that much (ie at consumer level) because it's provided directly by Yonex distributor.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Good post. Totally agree.

6. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I agree. Part of the reason the umpire gave Wang red card is because she had a stupid attitude.

She mimicked Okuhara's jumping up and down in a stupid way. She complained about Okuhara hitting the shuttle over the net. And she had a stupid attitude towards the judge. Chen Long should slap some dignity and humility into her.

7. zhuangcorp

Id much rather take my chances with HBJ than with WSX. WSX doesnt have the mental ability to win anymore. When she loses points she blames her coaches.

HBJ looks like a winner.

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Agree that HBJ is a winner

But the efforts shown by Wang Shixian in the past one year is remarkable beating Marin twice and reaching Finals of every event i can remember. That is great considering LXR is China's real Olympic gold hope.I think WSX has really earned her spot for Rio. HBJ lacks fitness if the going gets really tough.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    WSX alienated Zhang Ning in the past.

If she does it again against Chen Jin this time around, then she really only has herself to blame.

10. zhuangcorp

Another slightly strange incident involving WSX. At the end of the match, Mitani serves on match point. The umpires call the serve in, but the service judge calls an illegal serve.

Nobody seems to notice the service judge at first. When WSX notices, she tells the umpire that the match should be over, and it does end that way. WSX didn't do anything wrong actually, she just looks ungracious. I wish somebody would teach her to act with more humility and grace.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid your criticism is unfair and uncalled-for, the service judge repeated his call to the umpire; whether WSX alerted it to him or not, didn't matter. The service judge would be remiss if he didn't continue to point it out to the umpire, WSX's action is appropriate though irrelevant.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I admire both the strong,independent, self assertive character who stands up for his/her rights and the humble,gracious, accommodating type who give and take - the important thing is to be true to oneself and principled, and, to me, Wang Shixian is one such person.

13. touya

touya Regular Member

Hopefully she can deliver in BAC, she need to prove that she deserve a spot in Olympic.

At this point, my heart goes to WSX and WYH (for missing it the last time, at least a chance to make it up), but China's best shot for medals right now is LXR and WSX, though WYH is not far behind.

14. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    I pick LXR and WYH going To Rio. After witnessing your performance in Uber Cup, I am happy that I am not LYB.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, Wang Shixian's performance at the Uber Cup is highly commendable, better than I expected, true grit and fighting spirit, clever play and able to handle much pressure. Indeed, I certainly don't want to be in LYB's shoes, big headache. Li Xuerui is a given. Wang Yihan or Wang Shixian, how? Spare me the agony for now.

Let's see how the next two or three tournaments go before the 21st July submission date for Olympic selection.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    WSX vs Marin at the Uber Cup

17. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Great match.Wang Shixian is so happy winning

18. Andrian Hartanto

Andrian Hartanto New Member

did you guys notice that WSX using new yellow racket in Uber 2016.. what racket is that?? anybody know??

19. onsfraaske

onsfraaske New Member

I don't know, but i hope she will be selected for the Rio Olympics 2016. She showed a great performance by beating P.V. Sindhu and Carolina Marin.

20. Nine Tailed Fox

Too bad.

Try your luck in some other fields.