2016 SKYCITY NEW ZEALAND Open GP Gold : Qualifying Round-Final

Discussion in 'New Zealand Open / India Open 2016' started by CLELY, Mar 21, 2016.

1. blabl

blabl Regular Member

I know that Korea send their full squad here hence their chances of entering the finals are higher. To be honest what impressed me most today was not because all the Korean badminton players won their second round match to enter the quarterfinals.

Rather it was the match of Soo Teck Zhi who played superbly well today varying his techniques and skills to win over such a highly ranked Taipei MS Hsu Jen Hao that impressed me. Wow. To be honest I am a great fan of Hsu Jen Hao. I thought he will have an easy win.

Wow Soo Teck Zhi congratulations to you. You played so well today. Hence you really deserved to win today. Keep it up Soo Teck Zhi. I am so amazed with your never giving up attitude. Try your best to win your match tomorrow though I know it is going to be a tough match.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Shi Yuqi's coach during his junior days often pointed out his shortcoming in fitness, now that he's been inducted into the national 1st team, I believe Xia Xuanze, who is known for his fitness and endurance, would know what to do about him in this regard.

3. Pirayeba67

Pirayeba67 Regular Member

Head hunter
    Qiao Bin is good at net drives and his defense is quite good. I find his style of play quite unusual, but interesting to watch nevertheless.

4. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Didn't mean to interrupt here and so sorry for being off topic here. Just went over to check the Poland Open results, What a surprise indeed.

I still remembered how good the Indonesian Junior team at that time won over the Japanese best A team in the Badminton Asia Team Championship. Hence i though oh wow the Indonesians youngsters must have improved a lot then. But then oh dear me. Wah an upset indeed when I saw this result.

WS
    Neslihan YIGIT [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG] Gregoria MARISKA
    19-21 21-11 21-18

MS
    Adrian DZIOLKO [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG] Muhammad Bayu PANGISTHU
    21-19 21-16

Yosei YAMAGUCHI [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG] Firman Abdul KHOLIK
    21-11 21-18

Wow guess the Indonesian junior results are not that consistent after all. And so sorry for saying this. I don;t even know who is this Yosei Yamaguchi never even heard of his name and Neslihan Yigit and Adrian Dziolko too.

So many of the young Indonesian players which are thought are supposed to be good have also lost in this tournament today such as Anthony Ginting and Jonathan Christie. Looks like hmm... inconsistency is still the main issue. So sad of course to see this today. And sorry for saying this too.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Why do you have to be so apologetic when you are merely stating the facts plainly without malice?

6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

QUARTERFINALS (02.00pm local time, 3 court) => http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...65CB03-F736-4C3E-A3BB-86ED37264EC6&d=20160325

China MS second stringers do pretty good job so far as their three players march to last eight, Huang Yuxiang will challenge top-seed Son Wan Ho, his younger compatriot reigning Youth Olympic Champion Shi Yuqi will take on Soo Teck Zhi who won over fourth seed Hsu Jen Hao comfortably in last sixteen. At lower half of draw, Lee Dong Keun and 2013 World Championships bronze medalist Nguyen Tien Minh are expected to overcome Riichi Takeshita and last year runner-up Qiao Bin respectively. Disappointing outcome for Indonesian promising trio as all of them failed to go further in this GP Gold, Ginting-Mustofa-Christie.

Two upsets emerged in WS category when second seed Yui Hashimoto was stunned by Aya Ohori and fourth seed Lindaweni Fanetri continues her flopped performance, this time lost to world rank #145 TPE Chiang Mei Hui. Defending champion Saena Kawakami also sent packing by her senior Kaori Imabeppu. A typically slow-starter Sung Ji Hyun will face one of Chinese future shuttler Chen Yufei, an interesting encounter tomorrow. Bae Yeon Ju is favoured to book semifinal ticket against Russian Ksenia Polikarpova. Both Imabeppu and Ohori get Taiwanese rivals, Chiang MH and Hsu Ya Ching respectively.

Men's doubles quarterfinals are going to the script, Kim GJ/Gi SR will see last year winner, China young duo Huang KX/Zheng SW. Pratama/Suwardi who played rubber games once again before bounced back to tame Japanese pair will face TPE combo Chen HL/Wang CL next. Two remaining ties will pit Gideon/Sukamuljo v Liu WC/Yang PH and 2014 world champion Ko SH/Shin BC v Indian pair Attri/Reddy.

Korean WD stamp their domination here with four pairs and 1 last four spot has been secured. Top-ranked Jung KE/Shin SC who got big trouble to clear second round hurdle as they played marathon match against China new combination Huang DP/Zhong QX and will meet last year beaten finalist Fukushima/Hirota. Second seed Chang YN/Lee SH also have Japanese foe, Higashino/Shinoya. A minor upset was created by Aussie pair Mapasa/Somerville who won over Japanese duo Tanaka/Yonemoto, they will see Indian regular participant, Gutta/Ponnapa to hunt semi ticket.

The leading Korean XD, Ko SH/Kim HN and Shin BC/Chae YJ look good to advance into next stage, they may meet former world number three Malaysian pair Chan PS/Goh LY and China new potential partnerships Zheng SW/Li YH respectively at last four.

kwun likes this.
  7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Hey, Captain CLELY ! ,looks like you are quite angry with Lindaweni Fanetri. I remember the last time you labelled Qiao Bin 'mediocre',he picked up some impressive wins afterwards :D

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Really have to thank profusely the New Zealand Open organizer for providing livestreams of Ct 1 & 2 on their website, and that from the early rounds onward. Thumbs up !:cool:

9. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Disappointing All around for INA MS expected to be in TC Final. The single lone WS, Lindaweni, is so bad. I hear you Maam.
    INA strength in MD are still in play.

10. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Only one of three courts is not televised. Three out four WD quarter-finals are on that court. Is WD really that bad?

11. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

CYF doesn't have any special weapon. Her smash which she used sporadically was not powerful enough and went astray a few times.. She has no deception or didn't or couldn't use it today. She got drawn into SJH's game and lost as a result. She was playing okay in the first half of the third game but soon lost her way after a few mistakes. A good learning experience for her anyway.
    NTM played one of his best matches today after a long time. Chasing the Olympics ticket I am sure. Qiao Bin couldn't cope with his defense and speed and lost tamely in the third game.

#31 tbgoh288, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

ChenYF actually has a very sharp cross court drop shot, steep and fast, but she needs time to execute it. SJH was leading the exchanges most of the time because of her precision in her clears and lifts, and stability, Chen reacting most of the time and in no position to lunch her attack.

tbgoh288 likes this.
  13. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Impressive performance from Takeshita !!! Winning against LDK 21-16 17-21 21-8

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

I'm afraid the last year WC bronze medal is one hit wonder for Fanetri :(
    Qiao Bin is still not yet improved a lot, today he lost three games to veteran Nguyen TM despite had good start in first game.

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Gideon/Sukamuljo through into semi and Pratama/Suwardi are expected to follow their juniors ;)

16. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

N1 and N3 seeds from South Korea out of the tournament! :O Son Wan Ho defeated by unknown chinese player Huang Y. 19-21 19-21

17. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    JG/AP lost to an AU's pair :( that to 21-8 in g2
    I wonder JG got envious of Gronya ;)

18. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Hu
    Huang Y. Was the beaten finalist this year at Syed Modi GPG he has certainly improved and SWH has certainly some issues! No upset atleast for me!
    BTW nice avatar ;)

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Huang Yuxiang stuns top-seed Son Wan Ho in two close games, 21-19 / 21-19. Son had chance to force rubber but he couldn't maintain the leading position as Huang propelled attacking style with hard smashes.

20. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Confidence-boosting win for HYX which could have gone either way.