Yonex Aerosonic 0.61 string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by lcw the best, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Chrisadology

Chrisadology Regular Member

I'm in total agreement with visor.

For the same amount of effort invested in the shot, the Aero flies further than the 62F. Excellent smash power and great at the net and dropshots too.

2. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    How is the durability of the string? I wouldn't mind hearing more, especially in comparison against Z62 or Z62F. Judging by the posts above, seems to be decent if not on par?

Justin

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Currently I 'm "married to" Zymax 62. But after reading your positive reports, it is hard to resist the Aerosonic hanging at Luxis Sports, two blocks from where I'm now sitting.
    ("I can resist everything except temptation" - Oscar Wilde)

4. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

As visor mentioned, I noticed that the strings do start to show notching/frailing quite early compared to zm62, by about 10hours of play. I don't know how long it would take this notching to lead to strings snapping, as the longest I've had one strung before cutting them is about 20 hours of play. I'm a stringer too so I restring my racquets fairly often to get the fresh feeling. So in terms the notching/frailing, the durability is bad. However in terms of durability based on chance of snapping due to mishits, I'd say it's a least as durable, maybe a bit more durable than zm62.

5. Hakhak

Hakhak Regular Member

I tried the strings and loved it
    However it snapped quite quickly. (5 hours)
    My usual strings are BG66UM or 66F
    Strung at 27 which last me roughly 2 weeks about 20 hrs playtime. I used the same tension for aerosonic however i think i can reduce it a bit next time as it was really tight without pre stretch.
    The sound and repulsion was alot higher with a crisp feeling, i wil definitely try again when i finish using up my 66 rolls.

6. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

I've been using the Aerosonic exclusively for quite a while now. You MUST be VERY diligent on inspecting the grommets when using these super thin strings. Even though I foresaw this issue, I didn't quite learn my lesson until now.

Initially, I didn't feel the durability was overly poor compared to other super thin strings such as ZM62 and Rx100, however after a few stringing on the same racquet, I started to get VERY frequent string breakages. I was snapping these strings almost every 15 minutes, and all on sweet spot smashes! Furthermore, I string my own racquet, and I was snapping the strings during the tensioning process on about 50% of my stringing sessions!

I later learned it was due to deteriorate grommets that I did not replace. The strings were cutting though the grommets and were starting to contact the graphite frame. The edges on the bare grommet holes have fairly sharp edges, hence was snapping the strings prematurely, causing the extremely frequent strings breakages.

So once again, You MUST be VERY diligent on inspecting the grommets when using these strings. Luckily I learned my lesson before the strings really started to cut into the frame.

7. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

Agree with jsunsun about grommets but would extend that to all strings. Just restrung a club member's racket for the cost of string due to a fresh grommet being split and cutting the BG80P. Technically is probably wear and tear due to a bag miss hit on the new grommet but could also have been a poorly made grommet, hence no labour charge.

Broke my first BGAS string last night but it was due to the top breaking off the 12 o'clock grommet.

8. James Duffy

James Duffy New Member

Don't buy this string absolutely awful. Coating comes off in the stringing machine as low as tensions as 26lbs similar to bg66um but worse thanks to thinner guage. Coating leaves the inner part of the string exposed.
    Broke before I even hit a shuttle. Stick to ashaway zymax, in my opinion yonex are total crap

9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Never had this problem. Are you sure your stringer knows what he's doing ?

10. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Bad stringer or machine. No problem with the aerosonic itself. It's just too springy to my taste. (or need training)

11. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    hahaha ouch

I hope he doesn't mind if I stick to bg80 and not zymax.

12. James Duffy

James Duffy New Member

Yes,well respected performance centre and county coach, strung many of my rackets. Once on England squad

13. James Duffy

James Duffy New Member

Strings are personal preference, zymax is a safe choice

SleepyEyedBoyZ likes this.
  14. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Playing devil's advocate here, that's like saying a former racing driver is a good mechanic.

Jilles likes this.
  15. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

I do find these strings are very finicky. The coating does come off easy, however there's always a reason for this occurrence. From using these string exclusively soon after it became available, and being my own stringer, I have learned that any of the following reasons can cause the coating to come off, more so than any other strings.

1. Loose grommets leading to grommets partially pulled out during tensioning, causing string to contact the bare graphite frame hole edge. This sharp edge will strip the coating.
    2. Clamping in tight spots, where you had to force the strings into the clamp, if this is not done carefully, the outer edges of the clamp (at least my clamps, not sure about others) can cut the coating.
    3. During tying knots, if the knot is pulled too tight, the main string where the knot is situated can strip the coating.
    4. If you have any worn grommets, the string will partly contact the bare frame and coating can be stripped same reason as in #1. And these strings are the ultimate grommet destroyer due to its razor sharp thin gauge

I have admit, my previous primary string is zm62, and all of the above are rare occurrences.

16. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I didn't notice any fraying when I strung a racket at 29lbs with BG AS.

17. myjim

myjim New Member

My regular string is bg66um for the past 1 yr on AS11 (@ 26lbs). Just bought a Duora10 3 weeks ago and strung it with aerosonic at 27 lbs. Played twice and my arm couldn't take it... I wouldn't blame it on the string as I find it perfect for power and net play. It's only my arm strength that I need to work on. I find it better than the bg66um on AS11 (performance wise, but only for the 1st hour of play). BG66um at 26 lbs is much more forgiving on my arm (not sure if the racket is the source of the discomfort).
    I'll lower the tension to 26 lbs for the next stringing on the Duora 10 and see how it goes. I think it will still be 'harder' than bg66um, at the same 26 lbs, but I think I'm gonna like it.

18. Neurologik

Neurologik Regular Member

research
    I used to play bg66u at 26lb and recently switched to Aerosonic at 25lb both on JS10, here is what is my personal experience:

Aerosonic fray sooner but retain its livelyness longuer / bg66u feels dead sooner.
    Aerosonic hold tension better.
    Aerosonic has more repulsion, power and feel.

Overall a better string, I m sticking to it. As I am not a stringers, I wait until the grooves are too deep on the strings to cut it (10-15h of play)

19. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

I had my Arc10 strung ~2 months ago with Aerosonic at 29 pounds and it broke this Thursday as a string on the left side of the sweet-spot started fraying.
    The string is on par, if not better, than BG66UM as it holds tension better and does not start feel dull after the first couple of hours. If you like to do a lot of slicing shots, then stick to BG66UM IMO as the feel is simply too non-existing when slicing with Aerosonic.
    Aerosonic is IMO a crazy performance string with durability being the only downfall.

#99 rbynck, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  20. wfloo

wfloo New Member

Tried the AS1 on my ZF2 at 25lbs. String broke in one hour during my fifth game. Doubles game only and smashing in the rear mostly. My regular string is 66UM. Bought all my strings from Shuttle house in Japan. But my daughter loved it. She had it on her Glanz and was able to clear farther consistently.
    Has a high pitched sound and loud when hit in the sweet spot